Timing Belt/Chain

Soldato
merlin said:
Chains are life long, but the chain will have a tensioner - that'll need replacing some time between 100k and 150k. Handbook will tell you more.

They are not always life long and can stretch with time. My dad had a chain snap on his w123 series merc, although it did start to get louder before it snapped. Its a mith they are life long, they just last a lot longer than belts. They should be measured for stretch then replaced if out of tolerance, just a lot of cars never make it to the point of the chain needing replacement(although a lot more do now as cars last longer).

Soldato
My Chevy truck is going on 335,000 miles with the original chain in it. My little Chevy L.U.V never made it past 100,000. So it's a tossup. As said before, you'll hear the chain "clattering" long before it goes. Generally long enough to give you time to save up for the job of replacement.

Soldato
Dandle said:
A timing chain isnt a full strip down if thats what you ment. If you take the plugs out you can normally pull the new chain through with the old one as long as the cams are still turning while your pulling it(not really easy but is a lot easier than a strip down).

Taken from Parkers guide

Nissan Almera (00-) Hatchback 1.5i E 3dr
Hatchback 3dr
2000-V

Strong engines and still drives well; much improved styling and cabins are easier on the eye; reliability and three-year warranty. Poor ride in town and on motorway; not good to drive; outclassed by Ford Focus.

Central locking and immobiliser can give trouble. Timing chains on 1.5 can stretch and rattle. Costs £1k to put right.

Sounds major to me.

Soldato
1.5 can strech and rattle, means 1k to put right. I didnt see that on parkers site. Anyway 1k for a main dealer is £350 from an independant, still not full strip down like you said. As is said chains arent life long.

Back
Top Bottom