Tinnitus who suffers from it

Associate
Can't pinpoint mine exactly on those but my heart goes out to anybody who has it as bad as some of the examples.

Mines like a faint am radio background noise you get when you listen to a station and the reception is not perfect.

Suspended
How long have you had it for?
13 months

What brought it on?
One of the three (Vix, Zom and myself so far on this forum) diagnosed with Ménière's Disease. Statistically, that should imply that 3000 people are on the OCUK forum as it would seem 1 in 1000 suffer from it. Although, in my case, it is atypical MD... I do not suffer from the Vertigo/drop attacks (yet!!!). I used to have the tinnitus only in my right ear but am currently 7 weeks into an attack and it is now significantly louder in my right ear and my left ear has since started up.

The right ear,unusually, seems to have a low frequency hum in the 1400hz range and the left ear is more high pitched. When lying down at night, I can differentiate the two tones and it is quite bloody annoying.

This is made worse by the 30db hearing loss at low frequency in the right ear that also manages to distort the rest of the hearing and sounds like I am listening to a badly tuned FM stereo station...out of phase almost like SW on an old radio.

Does it bother you anymore?
Hell yeh.

And what sound do you hear?

As described, low frequency tone in right ear in 1400hz range (which is unusual) and a higher pitch probably closer to 4000hz in the left ear.

As an aside, I downloaded an app on my android phone from PLAY called White Noise Lite by TM Soft. With my "normal" tinnitus, I find that the airplane noise works best for me but also really like the extreme rain sound. I also downloaded an extra few sounds (just look around on the program for extra sounds or similar). Rain on Tent Canvas and Turkey frying (something like that) are also great. They also have relaxing sounds but I use it for the tinnitus.

However, in the throes of an attack, I have had major issues sleeping for the last 7 weeks...generally falling asleep downstairs in front of the telly out of sheer exhaustion as reading at night is not soothing and the telly masks the tinnitus. The problem comes with waking up at 3/4/5 cause sleep after going up to bed takes a long time coming.

Associate
Had it for a years now, not been bad for last couple though. Unlike most people here mines not high pitched but rather a low deep throbbing sound caused by a vessel near the ear drum, I do get the buzzing sound if I use headphones to loud. You end up getting used to it and find ways to ease it, white noise, sleeping position and things like that.

Soldato
I get it for a few days if I have been sticking things in my ears to scratch them. When in bed a night I hear something akin to an engine running in the distance. Lasts a few days and then goes but flipping annoying and got me looking out of windows for years until I realised what it was.

I have never had this before.

Until last night!

Damn thread/brain playing tricks on me.

Went to bed, nothing out of the ordinary, same as every other day but I thought there was a car outside, again, nothing out of the ordinary until I looked outside and there was nothing there :eek: Hopefully it was just my brain playing games with me after reading this thread....

Soldato

Until last night!

Went to bed, nothing out of the ordinary, same as every other day but I thought there was a car outside, again, nothing out of the ordinary until I looked outside and there was nothing there :eek: Hopefully it was just my brain playing games with me after reading this thread....

The majority of people when in a perfectly silent room will experience some kind of tinnitus.

I actually had a mild case from using closed back headphones I suspect. I switched to open back which aren't as intensive on the ear and it disappeared.

Also wax buildup can be a factor (although I'm wary about getting my ears syringed more than necessary as apparently there's a small risk the jet can actually bring on tinnitus or damage your hearing some other way). I used to use cotton buds in my ears and that was a big no-no for wax buildup. Far better to apply olive oil now to keep it clear.

Man of Honour

Until last night!

No, you are one of us, we is special with skill

Associate
Soldato
The majority of people when in a perfectly silent room will experience some kind of tinnitus.

I actually had a mild case from using closed back headphones I suspect. I switched to open back which aren't as intensive on the ear and it disappeared.

Also wax buildup can be a factor (although I'm wary about getting my ears syringed more than necessary as apparently there's a small risk the jet can actually bring on tinnitus or damage your hearing some other way). I used to use cotton buds in my ears and that was a big no-no for wax buildup. Far better to apply olive oil now to keep it clear.

This was a pretty obvious hum :( I've heard of the olive oil tip before, might have to give it a go.

No, you are one of us, we is special with skill

Would have been nice if it was a V8 sound :p

Tell you what, the bloody Fuel drag car at Santa Pod must have killed a fair bit of my hearing a few years ago. Thought I'd be a man and not close my ears when it went past. Pretty much poo'd myself as it went past :rolleyes: still makes me shudder now.

Caporegime
I get it intermittently, just comes and goes. Like right now I can hear it and it's awful but it should go in a bit, it would be horrible if I had it all the time.

Man of Honour
I used to get this faint whistling in my ears when I was a kid (pre-teen) sometimes, the thing is I don't remember being exposed to lots of loud noises and I thought this was normal at the time.

Occasionally if lying in a quiet room I get it now, which is more understandable (gigs, many years of listening to headphones).

Back
Top Bottom