Tinnitus who suffers from it

Soldato
Heard the 'hum' again last night :mad: WTF? Neighbour was moving his car as I was going to bed (saw it with my own eyes) so thought nothing of it but when trying to get to sleep I was wondering why he was idling for so long.....:rolleyes:

So it's either been there before and I haven't noticed it (until this thread brought it to my attention) or recent use of headphones or stress/whatever is causing it.

Not used headphones today so will see what happens. Not used headphones in ages until very recently so perhaps that is it. ****ing hope so :(

Associate
Had it for about 8 years 24/7 seems to be a side effect of my hearing loss which started with a cold then with vertigo and ended up with my hearing shot completely ( but could be worse.)

Tends to get louder when I'm not wearing my hearing aid but I guess it's always there - stress seems to make it worse but it's something I have come to live with ( like I have a choice ).

If it starts to get you down there are people you can talk to and sometimes it's best with someone that doesn't know you.

Associate
Ive got a stinking cold now 7 days into noticing the ringing, it comes and goes, i tend to find its not bothersome at night since i stopped freaking out and relaxed more and stopped having a anxiety over being stuck like it for life.

But watching TV using the washing machine and sitting next to my pc fans makes the "whistling" appear (quite faint).

As mentioned before i do get a lot of colds and sinus congestion and ear popping (going slightly deaf) every winter.

Last edited:
Associate
I think a lot has to be said for the model, Pawel J. Jastreboff produced. Long story short. Tinnitus sufferers (myself included) only suffer because of our reaction to it. Our brains think its something bad so hence we feel bad. You only have to read previous pages in this thread to see that some people have tinnitus, even loud tinnitus and are not bothered by it.

My tinnitus is not as annoying to me as it was but I still have bad moments

Soldato
Interesting how common it seems to be, if this thread is anything to go by.

I have it intermittently, I've always had it, for as long as I can remember, certainly since I was a kid. I didn't even know what it was or even have a name for it then, I just thought it was something that everyone had. I wasn't until many years later I saw a TV programme and thought "I have that!"

It only comes on occasionally, sometimes weeks or months pass before I have an attack. It always occurs in my left ear and strikes as a sudden deafness, almost like an impact, accompianed by a very high pitched tone, like 11 in that sample. It gradually diminishes until it's silent, but the deafness remains for up to 10 minutes before it too gradually disappears. The last time I had an attack it kept recurring over days, that was several months ago. I had brief attack the other day thats what reminded me of it.

It seems to be stress related.

I have had twice in past 2-3 years blocked right ear ( one that seems to be the humming one ) after bad sinus colds(

Everyone gets that... don't they?

Last edited:
Associate
I've had it for about 25 years. Runs in the family, I always remember my gran complaining about it when I was little. My hearing's not so good either, gran was deaf in her later years. Everyday sounds help to block it out, (the PC fans at the moment), I wonder what it would be like to listen too all day/night for someone who is totally deaf :(

Associate
Mines is a number 4 and I also get I also get number 2 when I lay down. 9 months now. Not fun. Protect your ears folks. Once its there its there.

Soldato
Number 9, occassionally only one ear but usually both. First and only member of the family with it and had it for about 3 years.

Recently tried blocking out caffeine on the off chance it'd help but didn't notice any improvement after 6 months of religiously avoiding it. Still have the feeling it's related to my blood pressure/stress somehow but GP being useless as normal and clearly not understanding why I'm linking them. If I've got a few days off it's definitely better than if I'm at work etc.

Mostly it's fine, but there have been a few days where the level of noise has been unbearable and I've had to get my wife to call my work and tell them I won't be in as I can't hear anything at all. I usually spend those days asleep as much as possible as those are the days I wish I could remove my ears and be done with it!

It's a similar sensation to entering a room with a fire alarm going, only you can't get away from it. On an average day I simply get people to repeat themselves as I need to lip read a little or at least consentrate on their voice, it's especially bad with female voices (listen to number 9) probably due to the pitch range that's been flooded by tinitus. Doesn't help that I've got a gap in my hearing at high frequencies too - sadly not the same one that i've got tinitus at lol

Last edited:
Soldato
Yup have this from two deacades back and some messing about with guns. The tinnitus actually stopped me from joining the police force so *result*, although i have never considered it bad enough to be a problem unless we're in a crowded noisy bar or listening to certain peoples voices. Never been triggered by SSDs but I have it all the time so...

Soldato
Just wondering who suffers from tinnitus, i've had it best part of 20 years and grown use to it to the point were i hardly notice it, mine was brought on with to many gigs and clubs when i was younger.

The sound i hear is a high pitch whistle, though it can be a different for other people.

so if you suffer from it

How long have you had it for?
What brought it on?
Does it bother you anymore?
And what sound do you hear?

I don't know of a time when I didnt have it, so I am assuming that I was born with it (29 now). It doesnt really bother me as I don't know its there unless I listen for it, but as you say its a high pitch ringing, at least most of the time.

Edit: I think some CRT TVs used to make mine worse

Last edited:
Associate
I don't know of a time when I didnt have it, so I am assuming that I was born with it (29 now). It doesnt really bother me as I don't know its there unless I listen for it, but as you say its a high pitch ringing, at least most of the time.

Edit: I think some CRT TVs used to make mine worse

Mine was made worse by old TVs too. I could always tell they were on even if it was on mute :D

I've had mine since I was about 13. Thought I was going insane for a little while and it kept me up a lot at night. Nowadays, I tune it out (mine's not too serious) but sometimes it comes back in force. Not nice.

Soldato
Yes, it's one of the most annoying things I've ever had to put up with. It's not too bad if I'm not using headphones for a few days, but a weekend of gaming normally brings it out like a rash. 2-3 days following this, I feel partially deaf.

I only hear a single tone thankfully, but wish I didn't. I guess I should have looked after my ears while I was growing up!

Soldato
Saying that, I have sensitive hearing and can hear a matter of most frequencies including electrical whines from monitors at work & when charging various electrical items at home. My wife still complains I have bad hearing though, takes her ages to get my attention!

Soldato
I get number 9 mostly and sometimes number 7 from that link. Just learnt to live with it.

Saying that, I have sensitive hearing and can hear a matter of most frequencies including electrical whines from monitors at work & when charging various electrical items at home. My wife still complains I have bad hearing though, takes her ages to get my attention!

Tha's because we have learnt to ignore whining noises :D

Back
Top Bottom