Tips for a New Oblivion (elder scrolls) player (high elf race)

Associate
ive just started playing oblivion, really enjoying it! but have restarted loads of times to create a good player

ive chosen high elf becuase i want to specilise in magic - ive also bought electric touch whcih is taking out those scamps in three hits

basiclly im on the quest after removing the oblvion gate stone thing now im going through the castle looking for the price (i think, first propper mission)

its also taking me ages to go up a level any tips to increase level quickly, i need to get some new spells as the high elfs vaunverbility to fire is getting me killed quick!! any help woud be great

thanks

Duncan

Associate
OP
my star sign is MAGE

custon class - sneak, destruction, illusion, athletics, the market trader one, basiclly nearly the all of the magic ones apart from healing (sorry about being vague, at work so cant check)

RACE - High elf

Associate
At work to, but I'll be creating a battlemage along these lines:

Race: Breton
Sign: Mage
Specialization: Magic
Attributes: Endurance & Willpower (End from warrior, Will from mage)
Skills: Blade, Conjuration, Alteration, Illusion, Restoration, Heavy Armour, Destruction

You may need a weapon skill for when it gets up close and personal. Get rid of mercentile (market trader one I think).

I've already got a lvl 20 evil vampiric assassin - a Wood Elf, with sneak, athletics (don't bother - lvl's easily wondering around), marksmen, light armour, block (don't bother), security (don't bother) and arcobatics. Sneak is good at high lvl, and acrobatics for jumping around. I would get rid of sneak and use illusion for a mage.

Use destruction a lot early on, possibly on a conjured creature. Lvl up illusion early too.

Associate
OP
im not using a weapon at all, i just get killed all im using is lightning touch (destruction)

its seems about 3/4 nudges from the scamps early on and im dead

should i look out for any valuable items and what would be the next thing to spend good money on? and also how much should i save?

Associate
What level are you now? And did you create a save just prior to leaving the sewers? It is tough in the beginning for mages and archers, although I would be tempted to rejig your character if you're not too far in.

Your loot is levelled to your character, so you don't get top weapons until lvl18 or so. At the beginning I only had 200gp most of the time, until leveling in the teens, and then money became no problem. My sneaky archer character struggled at Kvatch (THE hardest part of the game) so much I left the MQ till later, but still haven't come back to it. Dungeons, ruins, bandit camps and associated loot, can be good earners as well as ferrying loot to the shops, but I couldn't be bothered ferrying, so just took the most expensive items.

You might be able to join the Mages guild, and then get into the arcane uni, and create your own weapons...haven't created my battlemage yet, who will be good and do the mages and fighters guilds. My archer's turned evil, having done the thieves and dark brotherhood quests.

Caporegime
The way you level up is to use your 7 major skills a lot. You don't need sneak, athletics or mercantile for magic use because you'll hardly use them.

Right now, I'm a level 19 mage and I've not even been the first Oblivion gate yet! I keep getting sidetracked with all these other quests and dungeon looting. I'm almost at expert level in destruction and conjuration magic. I'm looking forward to summoning some nasty creatures to help me along when I get to Kvatch.

Associate
OP
ive completed kvatch on level one - didnt know about the dungeons

do you think its worth going back and resetting my character's 7 skills?

i just used magic to beat kvatc- now im on level 2......

ive just get my arse kicked when i try and use a sword..... i use the shocking touch that takes 25 damage - two hits and the scamps are dead!!

do you think its worth going to back to the sewers and changing my setup? if so what shall i chose: (for magic)

Caporegime
I suppose the real target to aim for is to get your magic skills up to 75+ and level up as minimum amount as possible. As you level up, the monsters level up and there are some bad ones out there. The only thing is you get some nice loot as you level up (lots of enchanted items worth lots of gold!)

I would just stay as you are and just use your favourite skills a lot. I use blade when my magicka runs out - I have a cool sword which does weakness to frost and frost damage on each strike. It has been very useful so far. I hardly use my mage's staff!

Associate
I'd carry on as you are, as you've done THE hardest part in the game (Kvatch) and got it done and dusted.

I'd definately focus on your magic skills for now, especially destruction, illusion and conjuration. What you could do is conjure a creature up and attack with a shortsword to get your blade skills up...

Soldato
ic1male said:
The way you level up is to use your 7 major skills a lot. You don't need sneak, athletics or mercantile for magic use because you'll hardly use them.

Right now, I'm a level 19 mage and I've not even been the first Oblivion gate yet! I keep getting sidetracked with all these other quests and dungeon looting. I'm almost at expert level in destruction and conjuration magic. I'm looking forward to summoning some nasty creatures to help me along when I get to Kvatch.

The point is though id consider putting skills you use a lot in the 7 majors - increases you level faster. Or are u advising to keep skills you want so your main skills are in line with your level (can see your point if so).

Caporegime
I think I was going along the lines of that it is better to say choose two major skills which you use all the time and select five which you don't use as much. The thing being that if you use all 7 skills you will level up pretty quickly (and hence the monsters will too) but could still be in a position where you are weak in fighting them.

e.g. Destruction Skill = 25 to start with and you use it all the time.
You could therefore go to destruction skill 35 and reach level 2.
Or you could use the seven skills just as much as each other and hence destruction skill may equal 28 and you reach level 2.

So in essence you would be a pretty powerful combatant if you reached an expert level of destruction skill = 75 (5 level ups) and therefore be only level 6.

Not sure how effective this gameplay method would be as I've not tried it. It's just a thought I had. It may make the game incredibly easy as you will have some powerful attacks but the creatures will be still relatively weak. Saying that though there is the question of magicka - you may not have enough magicka at level 6 to cast expert spells.

Back
Top Bottom