1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tips for building my pectoral muscles?

Discussion in 'Sports Arena' started by Sem, 5 May 2006.

1. Sem

Mobster

Hi
    I've been training my pectoral muscles for the last 6-8 months
    and while my strength has increased significantly
    definition hasn't changed much at all

so maybe i'm doing something wrong
    my main exercises for this area are push ups, bench presses
    and using a pectoral machine (your arms starting outward then pushing them inwards)

anyone got any tips on how i can develop the corner section (near the armpits)
    and the upper section (around the shoulders) and the middle section

2. Defcon5

Soldato

Definition is from lack of body fat as far as im aware

3. red11

Sgarrista

Bodyfat and genetics are both factors in this. Do you know you bodyfat percentage? :)

4. Makaveli

Gangster

Incline Bench press or Incline Dumbell press.Id go for incline dumbells using proper form.

Also dips work ya chest real good.

5. Sem

Mobster

dont know my bodyfat % how can i find out?
    im sure its pretty low as im slim

thanks for the tip but do you have any pics of how this exercise is performed :o

6. red11

Sgarrista

7. A2Z

Sgarrista

DIPS

8. Morba

Caporegime

as mentioned, first you need to find out what your bf% is. get yourself to a gym and ask them to do some caliper measurements (the more measurements the more accurate), of if you have the cash, a floatation tank is more accurate.

the lower the bf% the better.

aswell as incline chest press, i would also offer dumbell flyes with good form (rather than a pec dec stack).
    also, if your looking for definition around the armpit, you will need to have good bicep/tricep and shoulders (front/side and rear), also to complete the look, lats, big lats!

9. The_Judge

Wise Guy

Leaning forward dips and Incline Bench.

10. NitrogenY3K

Mobster

It doesnt matter if your slim, I know of boys who are slim with a higer BF than myself.
    Rough guide, if you have visible abs, your around 10-12%

11. brocksta

Wise Guy

is your chest lagging behind everything else, or do you just want build your chest? I take it you have a proper diet and everything?

12. Royality

Mobster

How many reps do you do? Low reps with High weights? I presume you're eating alot of protein and more calories than your expending? If you arn't then read Gordy's Faq, if you are then you could try adding 500 calories more to your diet to see if your mass increases (and thus your pecs size).

Are you doing a balanced full body regime because weakness in other areas (legs for example) will detract from muscle growth in your pecs. Furthermore you should also try adding some new excersises and variety (like dips as already said) to stimulate growth and adaption in your body. :)

13. J.D.K

Wise Guy

I have found the following routine pretty good each time I work out my Chest at the gym:

3 sets of 8 reps on the bench press
    3 sets of 8 reps on the incline bench press
    3 sets of 8 reps on decline bench press (get the decline by raising the front end of the bench with a block or one of those steppers)

3 sets of 8 reps doing dips (none assisted this is difficult at first but its something you get used too very quickly make sure form is good, get the chest pointing in and doing all the work)

3 sets of 8 reps doing dumbell flys
    3 sets of 8 reps doing incline dumbell flys

By this stage your really going to feel the chest tightening up, so I then finish up with some cable pulls where you bring the two cables across your body using the chest.

The final exercise is more of a burnout exercise just get on the seated chest machine at the gym, set the weight to a level where you will be able to do 12 just about then imeadiately after each set lower the weight but keep trying to push out 10 - 12 without taking any breaks inbetween sets, after about 4 - 5 sets you will reach a weight that offers little to no resistance this is when you know your done and can pat yourself on the back for a good chest work out then go off and do some arms and leave the chest for another week :D

8 reps per set is good enough if you use a weight that your really pushing out the last 1 or 2 reps. Its also good to have a spotter so that they can give you a gentle touch on the last 1 or 2 reps of the last set as this is still better than doing 6 on your own because you still have to control the weight as its lowered then push it back up again, after a few months you will notice more strength and better definition as you are hitting the chest from all angles and giving it a really good all round workout.

The guy that I train with has seen massive gains in his chest, I myself have not been so lucky but it does show that 2 people doing the same routine one has made significantly more gains than the other so its a lot to do with genetics.

14. Zefan

Don

Get a Bullworker :D

15. Hlebio

Perma Banned

16. PAz

Soldato

Heavy benching and heavy dips, in something like a 5x5 or 4x6 set/rep range.

17. Skunkworks

Soldato

Chest day 1 - 5 x 5 supersets of dips and flys
    Chest day 2 - 5 x 5 wide grip incline BB press

Seperate each day by at least 48 hours. Worked a treat for me.

18. Fusion

Capodecina

18 sets for one bodypart is too much in my view. If you're doing your exercises hard enough, you wouldn't be able to manage all that lot.

19. Sem

Mobster

Thanks for all the tips

After reading your posts I think my main problem is I’ve been doing high reps with less weights
    (5 sets of 20 on the bench press/pec machine)

ill try 5 sets of 5 with really heavy weights

also ill add the incline/decline Bench press to my routine

I think my shoulders are being neglected which is adding to the problem with the pecs

Anyone got any tips on them?

thanks

20. A2Z

Sgarrista

post your whole routine