tips for buying skoda fabia

Associate
OP
Tip: Don't ask here. Go to Briskoda.Net and ask them there.

Whilst I don't think the Fabia is a bad car (I drive a TDI version), I would take a Fiesta instead, probably the 1.6.

Having said that, if you can get one at the right price, it's a good car.

can i ask why a fiesta instead?

Associate
the 1.4 comes in 8v and 16v, the one to get is the 16v which has 100hp.
great little car got one for my sister 1.4 16v comfort. great mpg dad drove it to kent the other day got 54mpg and round town still does high 30, low 40's. feels well built too.

Caporegime
the 1.4 comes in 8v and 16v, the one to get is the 16v which has 100hp.
great little car got one for my sister 1.4 16v comfort. great mpg dad drove it to kent the other day got 54mpg and round town still does high 30, low 40's. feels well built too.

Not all of the 16vs are.

some 1.4 16v engines are 75bhp and others are 100bhp. It depends on the model and year. Looks like you need to be careful ;)

Soldato
This was my Skoda Fabia:

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17882242&highlight=skoda+fabia

The 12v engines have very little punch. If you can overcome this they give fantastic fuel economy. Nearly as equal as todays fuel effecient urban cars.

They're very good cars for the money if you can find the right one. Because prices are so low I'd go for an earlier Elegance model which gives you electric windows, front heated seats, parking sensors, and a trip computer. Todays modern hatchback don't even have most of them as standard!

Associate
My dads 52 plate 1.9 SDI estate has an awesome 0-62 time of 18.2 seconds and a stated top speed of 96mph! but it does do 60-65mpg without even trying, and it is a million times nicer to drive than the old P reg 2.0 Diesel Vectra he had before it.

Associate
well i dont got the 100hp one ;) but yes should make sure, thats the one to get. I did at the time, but was a 53 plate made things a bit easyer but had to travel a bit further for the right one.

Soldato

...because its not a very good car. Well, actually, let me qualify that - its not a very good car to drive. If you want something to get you from A>B, mostly around town, and which is reasonably reliable, it does the job, but the steering is rubbery and woolly and its not much fun to drive. It just doesn't sharp or 'pointy'.

Having said that, I've only driven the diesel, so the petrol may be better albiet slower:-
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=11366828&postcount=22

Soldato
can i ask why a fiesta instead?

Engine lineup (ignoring the vRS) is weak. None of them are as good as the ones offered on the Fiesta.

Interior is well put together, but nasty. Lots of plastic, and very bland and basic looking.

Car itself drives reasonably well, decent enough on the road but (at least on the diesel version) the traction control is very eager to come slamming down like an anvil when you get trigger happy, and there's a silly amount of road noise at speed.

Overall, if you're looking at the vRS, i'd take that - but i'm assuming you're not, in which case i'd have a nice Fiesta instead. They're just better cars all the way down the range.

Soldato
Engine lineup (ignoring the vRS) is weak. None of them are as good as the ones offered on the Fiesta.

O'rly?

Interior is well put together, but nasty. Lots of plastic, and very bland and basic looking.

I guess that makes the Fiesta a Maybach.

there's a silly amount of road noise at speed.

Name me an equivalent hatchback at that age and price bracket that doesn't.

They're just better cars all the way down the range.

It is a better alternative when considering other factors such as repair costs and maintenance. Most of the stuff you just mentioned is pretty much wrong.

Soldato
We have the 1.4 8v (68Bhp of awesomeness! However no cam belt to worry about)

Its a solid car the only problem we have had in two years is the door carriers which is easy solved...Well and dodgy main dealers!

They aren't far away from a Volkswagen Polo.

Soldato

Ya rly?

I guess that makes the Fiesta a Maybach.

Not at all.

Name me an equivalent hatchback at that age and price bracket that doesn't.

I didn't say I could?

It is a better alternative when considering other factors such as repair costs and maintenance. Most of the stuff you just mentioned is pretty much wrong.

No, most of the stuff you just mentioned is pretty much crap and flamebait. He asked for an opinion, I gave it.

Back
Top Bottom