Tips on introducing a German Shepherd to a new born?

Soldato
You describe your dog as having moments of psychoness, describe situations in which it acts violently towards people, and now want to introduce it to your new little child?

hmmm.......

No what he described is a dog who has probably had problems with people approaching it on a lead and acts to deter them, which even my gsd does but will ignore them off the lead, he has shown concern and advice for the best way of the initial introduction.

:rolleyes:

KaHn

Caporegime
Bigger dogs tend to have more of a brain in their heads (even a doberman lol), are more predictable and less likely to snap. The only problem we had was dobermans are clumsy and used to knock the kids over.

I'm not sure if it's because they're smater or because they think

"I'm a doberman why would i need to bite somthing thing smaller than my own ****?":p:D

Soldato
For a first encounter keep the child in the pram and don't make a fuss the dog will want to smell and figure out what it is. A quick smell from a distance then let the dog know you are going to take it for a walk. When the child is around good things happen, thats what you want the dog to think.

Associate
i got a quick question, sorry if it derails the thread somewhat

had dogs all my life, so has my partner. Was renting (not allowed dogs), now we are buying our own place and have a kid on the way.

Question is do we get the dog first, have a kid first or does it not matter.
I always sided on the fact of dog first then i have a chance to learn its personality, and inttroduce the child as appropriate...thoughts?

Soldato
i got a quick question, sorry if it derails the thread somewhat

had dogs all my life, so has my partner. Was renting (not allowed dogs), now we are buying our own place and have a kid on the way.

Question is do we get the dog first, have a kid first or does it not matter.
I always sided on the fact of dog first then i have a chance to learn its personality, and inttroduce the child as appropriate...thoughts?

from a non dog owner, I would say get the baby first so the dog knows that the baby comes first.

also, generally, never ever leave small children alone with dogs, as even those that seem nice can quickly turn nasty.

Soldato
Thanks for the replies all.

I've stopped taking her for a walk in the morning until the baby is born, so when the baby is here i intend to start taking her for long long runs in the morning tied to the bike (she loves it) which will nacker her out for the day. So in that respect she will always still get the same attention she gets now.

Hahahahaha yeah because after a night of the baby keeping you awake crying you'll feel like going for a long bike ride to tire your dog out :D

Associate
I have 2 small jack Russell dogs. They were 4 and 2 when I introduced them to my new born son. We let them close enough to smell him but always made sure that the contact was supervised and the dogs were calm when around him. Oliver is 2 now and the dogs treat him like an alpha and are submissive.

I found that walking the dogs with him in his pram/pushchair helped as they would walk behind the pram to reinforce the alpha position. They even walk to heal next to him when he is walking with me.

Mark

Soldato
If you have the pram and the carseat etc, put that out around the house now, so that the dog gets used to the look and the smell of it. Also if your OH will be staying in for a day or two when the baby is born, take a blanket into the hospital with you, wrap the baby up in it, and then when you come home (leaving your OH and the baby at the hospital overnight) bring the blanket home and let your dog get used to baby's smell before you actually bring him or her home.

And make sure the dog still gets some attention when you are tied up looking after your newborn, so that no jealousy occurs. :)

Back
Top Bottom