• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

To Dual or Quad

Soldato
I tried a Q6700 to replace my E6600 and I can't say I was impressed, I hardly saw any improvement and I did indeed get stutter that just wasn't there with my core 2 duo. Particularly Far Cry 2, which is supposed to be optimised for Quad core.
The only upgrade I would consider now is the Core 2 Duo Wolfdales on socket 775 or i7 on socket 1366 (nothing against 1156 btw)

Last edited:
Associate
I tried a Q6700 to replace my E6600 and I can't say I was impressed, I hardly saw any improvement and I did indeed get stutter that just wasn't there with my core 2 duo. Particularly Far Cry 2, which is supposed to be optimised for Quad core.
The only upgrade I would consider now is the Core 2 Duo Wolfdales on socket 775 or i7 on socket 1366 (nothing against 1156 btw)

That stutter is a DX9 issue that (in my experience) comes into play with ATI cards more than nvidia irrespective of whether you have a dual or quad core CPU.

Associate

Ahhhhh far cry 2. Yea I get stutter on it too tho I use dual core athlon x2. Benchmarks throw up random results too. Fire sometimes causes the fps to drop down to 3fps while on 4 passes the min at that part was 30+fps. Same for guys moving on screen. Sometimes get the same drop when benchmarking. I dont think its anything to do with the processor tho.

Go quad. Encoding will love it more than gaming. With LGA775 discontuned now, you should be able to pick something up relatively cheap.

Back
Top Bottom