• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

To get dual-core over single-core or not?

Soldato
I've got a Dual Core 4200+ and a single core 3400+, they both run at the same stock speed.

The 4200+ completely and utterly destroys the 3400. Everything runs faster, not because of clock speed but because there's one core to handle all the lil background stuff and one core completely dedicated to the main program I'm running. I don't even notice a difference when running a virus scan/defrag whilst playing Oblivion :eek:

Caporegime
OP
But...is it worth spending an Extra £40 or so on the X2 3800+ and then the extra £30 for the 4200+ over the 3800+ :p

Sorry for being so silly with all the questions.

Suspended
Cyanide said:
The 4200+ completely and utterly destroys the 3400. Everything runs faster, not because of clock speed but because there's one core to handle all the lil background stuff and one core completely dedicated to the main program I'm running. I don't even notice a difference when running a virus scan/defrag whilst playing Oblivion :eek:

Ok going to try that, do AVG virus scan whilst on my horse with DC, then same again with affinity. I know it's unlikely you'll do a virus scan whilst gaming (schedule off) but generally lots of processes go in the background so should overall be faster. Yup it is faster on dual core- set affinity of Oblivion and AVG to core 1, bit of slow down. Not exactly a scientific benchmark though. I'll try encoding a DVD with both SC and DC.

Last edited:
Soldato
Delvis said:
But...is it worth spending an Extra £40 or so on the X2 3800+ and then the extra £30 for the 4200+ over the 3800+ :p

Sorry for being so silly with all the questions.

Most probably worth it for the 3800+, not too sure about the 4200+ though (even though I've got one). If you're leaving it at stock then I'd go for it, if not you're probably better with the 3800+ as they clock really, really well... saying that I can run my 42 at 2.8 on stock volts to I guess it's just luck of the draw :(

Caporegime
OP
squiffy said:
Ok going to try that, do AVG virus scan whilst on my horse with DC, then same again with affinity. I know it's unlikely you'll do a virus scan whilst gaming (schedule off) but generally lots of processes go in the background so should overall be faster.

Ya...only thing is....you read all these Benchies for games, and they all perform the same? But is that an average frmerate? Or like, MAX framerate? lol, Tis a tough decision...

Caporegime
OP
Cyanide said:
Most probably worth it for the 3800+, not too sure about the 4200+ though (even though I've got one). If you're leaving it at stock then I'd go for it, if not you're probably better with the 3800+ as they clock really, really well... saying that I can run my 42 at 2.8 on stock volts to I guess it's just luck of the draw :(

If im leaving it at stock ud get the 4200+, and if im clocking get the 3800+...Thing is, i "may" overclock in the future, not likely any time soon tho :S

Caporegime
OP
Yeah true true i guess....Dont know anyone personally whos selling any tho im affraid :p So thats...kinda out the Question..unless one randomly comes onto B-grade or sumin :p lol...unlikely tho.

Caporegime
OP
Heh...maybe, Cant ask around either as im not on the members thingy yet, Ah wells, i can get a X2 3800+ reasonably cheap neways, just be nice if i can get a 4200+ for about the same.

Suspended
Posted this on another thread but useful for ya..

ok I'm starting a shrink of a 7.5GB DVD-Video ISO. Set shrink to not background mode (100%)

Both cores are at 97-100% constant (taskmanager showing 100% for both) There is a bit of slowdown, but machine is still usable in Windows (forums etc) although wouldn't do any more heavy work

Dual Core
Started 23:22
Finshed 23:28
So 6 minutes.

Set shrink afinity to CPU 0. Core 0 at 100%- task manager is showing 100% for core 0, core 1 is still doing something although around the frist line. Windows is not slowing down, as I have core 1 free.

Single Core
Started 23:29
Finished 23:40
11 minutes!

Granted Windows itself is sharing over dual core- but I'm not doing anything else, and the usual 1% CPU windows idle is of little relevence, but shrink itself is being limited to single core.

Back
Top Bottom