Toastmasters

Soldato
Lately I've been thinking of public speaking and thought this might be a good way of improving my skills for work and social occasions. Is anyone a member or have any experience with this organization?

Caporegime
Came in here expecting to be enlightened on the subject of how to make a perfect slice of toast. Evenly browned on both sides, right to the edges, pure mastery. No toaster has ever achieved the like, but this thread would hold the answer.

Leaving disappointed. :(

Soldato
Came in here expecting to be enlightened on the subject of how to make a perfect slice of toast. Evenly browned on both sides, right to the edges, pure mastery. No toaster has ever achieved the like, but this thread would hold the answer.

As did I having just bought a new toaster , what a shame.

Caporegime
I know several people who are involved in it and they're all very positive about how it has helped them. Most of them are not naturally strong or gifted speakers but they hold a room and are engaging in one on ones; it certainly teaches you something.

Soldato

Same, I was also thinking of them steering wheels for driving games too.

I like how they make pictures and faces in the toast, it's an art.

Soldato

Same. Thought it was going to be about some gadget similar to a Teasmade but for toast. :(

Soldato
Lately I've been thinking of public speaking and thought this might be a good way of improving my skills for work and social occasions. Is anyone a member or have any experience with this organization?

Haven't done toastmasters but did have a period at work where I had to do a load of presentations every few months and while it was terrifying at first it did make me feel more confident. Now it's still terrifying but at least I know I can do it :p

If you go for it can we suggest topics for your first speech, I nominate "the art of toast".

fez

fez

Caporegime
What does a toastmaster do/what should they do. We went to a wedding recently with one and it was the worst part of the day. He literally waited until whoever was giving a speech finished and then he repeated their last 10 or so words. "I would like to propose a toast to the mother of the bride". Toastmaster "the toast is mother of the bride".

He did almost nothing else.

Soldato
I considered doing this at my last company, but the people who attended were the biggest bunch of numpties and it really put me off. I still think it's a good idea if you are with a bunch of like minded people.

Soldato

I think you're probably overestimating your worth in these matters.

Haha Savage

I considered doing this at my last company, but the people who attended were the biggest bunch of numpties and it really put me off. I still think it's a good idea if you are with a bunch of like minded people.

Subtle savage

GJ GD

Associate
What does a toastmaster do/what should they do. We went to a wedding recently with one and it was the worst part of the day. He literally waited until whoever was giving a speech finished and then he repeated their last 10 or so words. "I would like to propose a toast to the mother of the bride". Toastmaster "the toast is mother of the bride".

He did almost nothing else.

I think some of them are brilliant, but as with all jobs, you have crap ones!

Caporegime
Have heard generally good things about them - they're kind of self organising local groups so experiences can vary... if you're in a city (certainly in the case of somewhere like London) you may well find there are multiple local toastmasters groups you could go along and check out

I'll just chuck in that acting classes and indeed improv can help a lot with this sort of stuff too and is a lot of fun

Check out roastmasters on YouTube.

one of the clips with Dina Hashem vs Dave Kinney was really good :D

edit - can't link to it on here due to swearing but if anyone is interested just look up:

"Shy deadpan girl viciously defeats a big loud guy in a NYC comedy roast battle"

on youtube

Caporegime
one of the clips with Dina Hashem vs Dave Kinney was really good :D

edit - can't link to it on here due to swearing but if anyone is interested just look up:

"Shy deadpan girl viciously defeats a big loud guy in a NYC comedy roast battle"

on youtube

My favourite is probably the Scott Chaplain & Evan Williams battle entitled 'One Of The Greatest Roast Battles Ever?!'.

Back
Top Bottom