Tokyo Olympics 2020

Soldato
OP
Such unfortunate timing that of all the counties who could have hosted, it had to be Tokyo. London was fortunate to have it when there was no covid but even if we were hosting it today, the stadiums would still be allowed to be mostly full.

Soldato
I caught a radio interview with the UK syncrhronized swimming duo -

I did a double take that body shaming is a thing for female athletes, articles are not clear on whether this was from males or females,
but having caught excerpts of love Island on last weeks goggle box with the surgically modified, unfit males/females asthetics , there are some warped stereotypes at play.

Soldato
Well I found that a very moving start to the Olympics - I never normally watch more than first 20 mins or so but watched the whole lot

Hats off

Soldato
Overall most of the opening was a bit of a 'meh' for me.

I enjoyed:
  • The drone show
  • The projection of a germinating seed behind that dancer at the start
  • Design of the Olympic cauldron
  • The oiled up Tongan flag bearer
Disappointed by:
  • Complete lack of Mario karts racing round the stadium, anime waifu cosplayers, and an epic battle between a mechatronic gozilla and a bunch of samurai.
  • The GB team's outfit - what were those jackets supposed to look like!? Next time can they just go back to chinos and blazers with proper shoes please?
I'm not a massive sports fan but still looking forward to watching what I can :). As a casual climber I'm kind of disappointed they chose to put speed climbing in the Olympics rather than bouldering for example, which would have been much more interesting to watch and more of a real sport that actually exists at a grassroots level. Still guess I might watch that to see how Shauna Coxsey does as she's got some local connections and familiar with her from occasionally watching bouldering competitions.

Soldato
Seems like the TV coverage is really half-assed. One channel + red button + iplayer. I don't have the bandwidth to stream what I want all day so will miss a lot of stuff. Previous games had something like 6-7 red button channels on freeview. :/

Soldato
Seems like the TV coverage is really half-assed. One channel + red button + iplayer. I don't have the bandwidth to stream what I want all day so will miss a lot of stuff. Previous games had something like 6-7 red button channels on freeview. :/
This along with the covid situation and no crowds mean I've watched in total about 5mins so far which is very unusual for me with the Olympics. I normally have something on pretty much all the time during the Olympics. I just have no interest in this one.

Oh also the fact that they now allow men to compete in women's sports.

Soldato
Turns out I'm not missing anything with no streaming. Discovery+/Eurosports have the rights and BBC can only show 2 sports at once. This is going to suck hard. :/

Soldato
OP
I watched some of the men's cycling road race which started at 3am and finished after 9am. I didn't stay up for all of that. Crazy how they can keep going for over 230 km. I missed the part where they would have passed mount fuji, I bet that looked great.

Seen some gymnastics qualifying, Matt Whitlock is on form. Seen some rowing, mixed archery with Korea v Netherlands, some boxing, table tennis, and currently women's football is on. Looking forward to seeing some weightlifting.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom