TomTom iPhone Cradle has appeared in the Apple Store

Associate
I have Tomtom and Copilot on a 3G S and find both are very slow to upadate,like when you turn a corner they take 200 yards or so to show on the display that you have turned. aslo pulling away they both have a delay before it shows you moving,it must be the hardware on the phone is not very good for both to be the same.

Soldato
There's some serious doubt about whether the Apple Store is correct about it including the App, as at the moment there's no way of them doing it, shy of giving you iTunes credit.

I've not used the TomTom software myself, but have been reviewing CoPilot for a few weeks and am impressed. The app takes a while to load, but I suspect that would be improved an a 3GS.

As Feek says though, the TomTom kit would improve GPS reception for those suffering poor tracking, so that's worth bearing in mind too.

Commissario
The Apple store page is misleading, it's not easily possible to tell from there whether the app is included or not. It could be done by providing a redeem iTunes code that allows the app to be downloaded but there's just no way of knowing.

Soldato
It should be a lot better with the cradle, if that price includes the app then I'm tempted.

I'm with you there, especially with christmas around the corner could make a nice present.

I just hope TomTom really keep developing the app as they say they will be.

Commissario
I stand corrected. On the Apple store page it says
You get both the TomTom navigation app for your iPhone 3GS or 3G and the docking kit to hold your iPhone securely in place on your dashboard or windscreen.

So it is the app and the cradle for that price.

Associate
I'm hoping that is including the app price, as app is £58 (iirc) so would work out as £40 for the cradle, which is not a bad price.

Otherwise you are looking at £160, which is in the realms of just getting a Tom Tom or other suitable GPS as there are others on the market;)

Hope they do the cradle on its own, as dont want to end up paying for an app twice.......:(

Commissario
I still don't know what's right. Don *smug* McAllister is saying that it's not included, the Apple Store still says it is included. Of course, Don is a friend of Leo so that means that everything he says must be true :D (or not).

I shall sit on the fence until there's proof either way.

Soldato
£100 for a cradle is insane. I should think it only costs them £10 to make if that.

On the other hand if it includes the app, then its reasonable.

Commissario
And yet more..

Here's a conversation I've just had directly with the Apple store via online chat...

* You are chatting with Maria, an Apple Expert

Hi, my name is Maria. Welcome to Apple!

Maria: Good morning

Maria: How may I help you today?

You: I have a question about the TomTom Car Kit for iPhone 3GS

Maria: I'm happy to assist with that.

You: Great. I've just placed an order. However, looking at it closely, it says it comes with the app. Does this include the maps too (i.e. British Isles or Europe)?

Maria: I'm happy to assist with that.

Maria: Let me see if I can get more information.

You: Thanks

Maria: You're welcome.

You: BTW. There's a lot of confusion on Macrumors.com over if it comes with just the app or if maps are included. Whatever info you manage to get, it maybe worth updating the store entry to clarify what is provided along with the cradle itself.

Maria: I am not seeing specifically if that includes British Isles.

Maria: The information I am finding it may require an update.

You: So the app is free on the App store and we're looking at £99 just for the cradle then?

Maria: There is a cost for the App.

You: British Isles is £59 on the app store plus the cradle at £99? total is £158. That's where the confusion is. Because it says the app comes with the cradle, but you can't buy just the app on itunes. Either British isle or Europe at £79.

Maria: The Car Kit you see on the online Apple Store is just the hardware.

Maria: I am checking further one moment.

You: Yes, sorry I know that, but it does say it comes with the app. Well the only app on itunes is for British isles or Europe (£59 or £79). itunes does not have the app on it's own. Hence confusion all around! )

Maria: You get both the TomTom navigation app for your iPhone 3GS or 3G and the docking kit to hold your iPhone securely in place on your dashboard or windscreen.

You: Yep. I know it has the navigation app, but what one? British isles or Europe?

Maria: Sorry for the delay let me continue checking.

You: Take a look at http://www.macrumors.com/ and see all the comments. It is not clear. £99 seems very expensive for a cradle if it does not come with maps!

You: No problem.

You: Can you see what I'm trying to say?

Maria: Yes I am checking into that now.

Maria: The App is included with the kit. There will be a code to download within iTunes.

You: Ah! Presume we're have a choice of Bristish Isles or Europe? If going for Europe we make up the extra cost ourselves?

Maria: The TomTom app for iPhone 3G and 3GS users includes a continental map of Europe or map of UK & Ireland from Tele Atlas.

You: Fantastic. That makes it a more affordable option and good price point. Thanks for your help Maria.

Maria: You're welcome.

You: Have a good day.

So that answer's that question then. £99 for the cradle and app with a choice of maps via an iTunes voucher code!!!

From here.

*shrug*

The original page has gone from the Apple store though, the one which said the app was included! It's all a bit of a mess up right now really.

Back
Top Bottom