TomTom iPhone Cradle has appeared in the Apple Store

Soldato
To me it still seems expensive for the cradle and app for £99, you can buy a stand alone tomtom for that much and having the app for iphone doesnt really make it any more practical if you still need the cradle to get the best out of it? Maybe I'm missing something?

Soldato
Mac Rumors now says its £99 for just the cradle. That makes it £160. You can almost get a Tom Tom One XL V3 with more featues for that kind of cash. Way too expensive!

EDIT: You can get the XL V3 for £156 shipped. Its a no brainer comparing the two really.

Caporegime
Depends what the built in sat nav is doesn't it? The vast majority are lessons in how not to build a UI.

Also it's not even relevant to the discussion. Your car has it built in, congratulations on being charged through the nose for map updates.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
To me it still seems expensive for the cradle and app for £99, you can buy a stand alone tomtom for that much and having the app for iphone doesnt really make it any more practical if you still need the cradle to get the best out of it? Maybe I'm missing something?

For someone who doesn't own a tomtom or for someone who would like it all in one package I think it's fine. I wouldn't want an array of items on my windscreen - so to have it all in one is great (assuming it is £100 all in).

Soldato
My copy of CoPilot was about £26.
My car cradle and charger together was about £20.

Total cost: £46.

I have had absolutely zero problems getting a good GPS fix quickly - in fact, it's much quicker than my old dedicated unit - and I can hear the directions perfectly. Why would anyone pay £160 for something you can have for so much less? :p

arty

Soldato
My copy of CoPilot was about £26.
My car cradle and charger together was about £20.

Total cost: £46.

I have had absolutely zero problems getting a good GPS fix quickly - in fact, it's much quicker than my old dedicated unit - and I can hear the directions perfectly. Why would anyone pay £160 for something you can have for so much less? :p

arty

I agree. CoPilot has worked well for me, alongside the Ped3 Auto: www.ojhaslam.co.uk/ped3-auto-arrives-sticks-to-things

Soldato
Tomtom must have real thick marketing teams. Cant they price up one of the most sought after products after people have been waiting for such a long time.

I mean how much more wrong can Tomtom and Apple get this...

They have software that costs nearly £80 (spend another 60 odd and you can get the full real, hardware AND software.

Here you have to buy a cradle which looks massive in comparison to Tomtom standalone cradles. Furthermore, it contains a SiRFstar chip inside it which kind of defeats the objective of having integrated GPS in the iphone and to top it off, you have to shell out 100 for the cradle and a separate 80 quid for the full euro software. I mean you cannot get it more wrong than that.

Soldato
For someone who doesn't own a tomtom or for someone who would like it all in one package I think it's fine. I wouldn't want an array of items on my windscreen - so to have it all in one is great (assuming it is £100 all in).

Well, what's an array of items? You either have the Tom Tom iphone cradle or you have a standalone unit. It's no more cluttered to have a standalone unit and it's probably more practical. Not to mention it's more expensive to have the iphone than a standalone!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom