totally fed up with computer

Associate
i came on here with regards to a hard drive a few weeks ago

everytime i plugged it in the system would see it but couldnt get it to initialise. i tried everything new install update bios updated to ahci option in the bios..

after all that tested drive in another machine and it failed in that one too

so returned and got a replacement under warrenty was brand new

now today the new one gets unboxed.. pop it on the system and within minutes it blue screens

remove it and its reboots. install it wont boot.. hot swap it once systems running and it crashes
is it just me on am i having a run of bad drives

getting tedious now ..seagate barracude 6tb drive

any advice that doesnt involve launching it out the window

Associate
OP
cant get into disk managerment lol. with in preinstalled on sata cable system fails to boot ... got icy box cages so can hot swap drives as soon as i close the drive bay system crashes before i can open disk management and do anything
tried a few cables moved it around in place of other working drives no matter how i connect it it either wont boot or crashes when added to my hot swap boxes .. yes its sata

Associate
OP
returned got a replacement does the same thing.. thats 3 u/s hard drives in a row

have seagate had a bad batch does anyone know

Soldato
cant get into disk managerment lol. with in preinstalled on sata cable system fails to boot ... got icy box cages so can hot swap drives as soon as i close the drive bay system crashes before i can open disk management and do anything
tried a few cables moved it around in place of other working drives no matter how i connect it it either wont boot or crashes when added to my hot swap boxes .. yes its sata

Not sure if I'm reading this right.

Have you tried connecting it normally rather than through your hot swappable bays?

Have you tried another drive in the specific drive bay your new drive is erroring in?

What PSU are you using and did you try a different power cable for the drive?

When you say you tried a fresh windows installation, is that with the most recent version downloaded from the MS website to USB? Or are you using an old or disc based version, or a Windows 7 update?

Try booting into safe mode and spend some time messing around, see if the problem persists.

Associate
OP
Not sure if I'm reading this right.

Have you tried connecting it normally rather than through your hot swappable bays? yes tried it everywhere.. if connected on too system computer wont boot.. when added to either of the icy boxes crashes before i can do anything

Have you tried another drive in the specific drive bay your new drive is erroring in? yes have 6 other drives all work in any position except new ones

What PSU are you using and did you try a different power cable for the drive? yes..using nxzt650w will run the 3tb drive 6tb drives crash

When you say you tried a fresh windows installation, is that with the most recent version downloaded from the MS website to USB? Or are you using an old or disc based version, or a Windows 7 update? brand new usb version i installed as thought it was other issues with first drive

Try booting into safe mode and spend some time messing around, see if the problem persists.wont boot with drive installed

Soldato

To me it screams some sort of software problem, but you say it 'wont boot' and earlier you said it blue screened?

A blue screen gives the impression you're actually booted into windows. If that is not the case it could be that you're having problems due to the way Windows 10 installs, if you install on the main drive while other drives are connected it sometimes (for some reason) will place required files on the other drives. The solution here would be to reinstall W10 on your boot drive while all other drives are disconnected and then plug your new drive in.

You could also narrow this down further by trying a bootable Linux distro on a USB stick, or optical media should you still use it.

Soldato
T
If that is not the case it could be that you're having problems due to the way Windows 10 installs, if you install on the main drive while other drives are connected it sometimes (for some reason) will place required files on the other drives. The solution here would be to reinstall W10 on your boot drive while all other drives are disconnected and then plug your new drive in.

This is true and a very annoying "feature" of win 10. I have it installed on an SSD but it decided to also part install on a mechanical 1tb drive, fine until that drive started slowly failing. Pull the drive, windows won't boot. Delete everything on the drive, reboot windows and it'll "fix" the drive.

I tried everything to try and fix it without having to reinstall windows completely and whilst I'm not saying it's impossible I really did persist with lots of help from the clever folk here and didn't manage it.

Man of Honour
Did that with both the previous drives and was sent a replacement again as they agreed both previous drives faulty

OK
Next thing I'd try is another make/model type of drive, do you know anybody who has them in cupboards (like me)?

And yes you can have 3 borked drives in a row.
Earlier this year I had 3x eBike batteries that were all duff.

Associate
OP
To me it screams some sort of software problem, but you say it 'wont boot' and earlier you said it blue screened?

A blue screen gives the impression you're actually booted into windows. If that is not the case it could be that you're having problems due to the way Windows 10 installs, if you install on the main drive while other drives are connected it sometimes (for some reason) will place required files on the other drives. The solution here would be to reinstall W10 on your boot drive while all other drives are disconnected and then plug your new drive in.

You could also narrow this down further by trying a bootable Linux distro on a USB stick, or optical media should you still use it.

done this and if i then add the drive to the system it crashes.. wont boot if added before booting into motherboard.. blue screens if installed into icy boxes once booted

Back
Top Bottom