Tough call :(

Associate
The animals must have been left for a fairly long time for them to starve to death. During this time she must have had some contact with her boyfriend? Who goes away and doesn't ring to speak to their boyfriend? A quick "have you been round and fed the animals?" would have sorted that out.

Soldato
ThriceNightly said:
the 'owner' is responsible for the animals and for arranging care of them in her abscence.

those animals suffered due to her neglect

she is in my mind a disgrace to the human race and should not be allowed to keep animals.

REPORT HER TO THE RSPCA.... before this happens again

yep, i agree here!

whenever we go on holiday we make sure there is plenty of dried food for our cats, at different points in the house - water in these places too. and we ask our next door neighbours to go round every day to feed them wet/sachet food.
we also call up to see if there are any problems with the cats as they're both getting on a bit now.

Associate
Phil99 said:
Come off it :-/

She sounds like she arranged for them all to be fed etc. while she was away but for some reason the person asked did not do this. How is that a "disgrace to the human race". Mistakes happen, maybe the person she asked got the dates mixed up, maybe she should have called to check up on them but it doesn't sound like she just packed her bags and drove off without thinking of the animals...

make as as many excuses for her as you like.

as the owner of the animals she is responsible for arranaging care in her absence.

reading between the lines here I wager the BF is not a responsible member of society.

REPORT HER TO THE RSPCA.....perhaps she will be more carefull in choosing a responsible person to look after her animals in her absence

Permabanned
ThriceNightly said:
the 'owner' is responsible for the animals and for arranging care of them in her abscence.

those animals suffered due to her neglect

she is in my mind a disgrace to the human race and should not be allowed to keep animals.

REPORT HER TO THE RSPCA.... before this happens again

Disgrace to the human race.....

Please... :rolleyes:

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
OP
Thinking back some more to the events in question (it was all a bit of a blur) she did claim to have phoned him (and the neighbours also thought that he was supposed to have done stuff, so she obviously talked to them before she left) but obviously he lied to her and said he had been there when he hadnt. In the heat we have had I cant agree that she would have to have been away for more than a week / a few days for them to die without food and water.

Despite all of the people (irrationally and unnecessarily) calling her a disgrace to humanity etc I think this was down to a terrible abuse of trust that looks unlikely to happen again. Reporting her to the RSPCA wont bring the dead rabbits back and the death of the pets clearly upset her enough for it to be unlikely to happen again. I cant see the merit in causing more fuss really, especally when there are people nearby that can keep an eye on the situation.

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
basmic said:
I think if you read the OP properly, you'll discover it's more of a case of what somebody else failed to do.

I unlike others Do read O.P's properly.
I know about the boyfriend but my point is that it is Not the BF's responsibility it is Hers. I also stated what i do when i go out. DRZ asked for views i gave mine, End of.
Perhaps if you had read my post Properly you would have realised that but you prefer just to pull someone to bits i'm sure.

Soldato
ThriceNightly said:
make as as many excuses for her as you like.

as the owner of the animals she is responsible for arranaging care in her absence.

This she did in asking the boyfriend to look after the animals.

ThriceNightly said:
reading between the lines here I wager the BF is not a responsible member of society.

Undoubtedly, but think, do you think if she knew this, do you think she would:
A)Chosen the boy friend over the Jenna [nextdoor neighbour] when she obviously cares for the animal as shown in her breakdown in DRZ's account?
B)Be with the bloke anyway?

ThriceNightly said:
REPORT HER TO THE RSPCA.....perhaps she will be more carefull in choosing a responsible person to look after her animals in her absence

She undoubtely will choose more carefully in the future, but all the RSPCA will do is punish her for somthing that isn't her fault.

I don't know about you but,

A rapist is a disgrace to humanity.
A murderer is a disgrace to humanity.
A member of the NF is a disgrace to humanity.

A girl who goes "Dave could you look after the pets whilst I go to see my mum in Cardiff?" Is not.

Permabanned
malc30 said:
I unlike others Do read O.P's properly.
I know about the boyfriend but my point is that it is Not the BF's responsibility it is Hers. I also stated what i do when i go out. DRZ asked for views i gave mine, End of.
Perhaps if you had read my post Properly you would have realised that but you prefer just to pull someone to bits i'm sure.
I don't pull people to bits.

It is as clear as fresh air, that the pet's owner temporarily passed the responsibility of looking after the pets to somebody else.

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
basmic said:
I don't pull people to bits.

It is as clear as fresh air, that the pet's owner temporarily passed the responsibility of looking after the pets to somebody else.

And it's totally clear to me that you miss my point. My point is that the only person that is responsible for an animal is its Owner.

Permabanned
malc30 said:
And it's totally clear to me that you miss my point. My point is that the only person that is responsible for an animal is its Owner.
basmic said:
So how you do expect people to look after their pets when they go abroad? Split themselves in half, or allocate the responsibility of caring for their pets to somebody else for a week or two?

At the end of the day the girl put her trust her this person to care for her pets. This person failed to care for the pets, therefore the finger should be pointed at him.

It's a bit like you loaning me your computer. I break it while it's about me, but pass the responsibility to you - simply because it's yours.

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
OP
malc30 said:

I totally and completely disagree with you on that point. Fundamentally cannot agree with you.

We have a cat - I love her to bits and when we go away we put her in a cattery because there isnt anyone we trust enough locally to take care of her while we are away.

While the cat is in that cattery (that we carefully selected beforehand to make sure we trusted them etc etc) the welfare of our cat is down to the people that run it. How can I possibly be held responsible for her welfare outside of what I have already done to ensure her wellbeing while I am away? If she was neglected in there, how would I be held accountable?

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
You have a dog you put it in kennels. It escapes and eats a baby. Whose fault is that.
An animal is always the owners responsibility even when not with its owner as the owner brought it up etc.

I have been wrong before though and it is just an opinion. I don't mind being wrong and am always happy to be corrected when wrong. :)

Soldato
basmic said:
It's a bit like you loaning me your computer. I break it while it's about me, but pass the responsibility to you - simply because it's yours.

I was trying to think of a decent example, the best I could come up with is:

"You let your child go on a school trip, the child dies because the school coach crashes. Its your fault for letting your child for going to that school you neglectful evil ****."

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
Well if i left Frank with the woman and he got out and did something wrong i would still blame myself for leaving him with her. Just me i s'pose.
Same as if he starved i would blame myself for leaving him it's just how i feel.

Permabanned
malc30 said:
You have a dog you put it in kennels. It escapes and eats a baby. Whose fault is that.
The kennel's, for failing to provide a secure environment for the intended purposes.
malc30 said:
An animal is always the owners responsibility even when not with its owner as the owner brought it up etc.
So does that mean your parents are responsible for your debts and house, because they brought you up?
malc30 said:
I have been wrong before though and it is just an opinion. I don't mind being wrong and am always happy to be corrected when wrong. :)
Who said you were wrong?

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
We are talking about animals aren't we Not children.
Kids get to an age where they are responsible for themselves animals don't.
Can we just say that it is my Own personal opinion that feels that the owner is solely responsible for there own animals.
How about that. :p
I am biased as my mum run the german shepherd rescue and welfare fund in my manor and we rescued numerous Alsations. I have heard every excuse under the sun for mistreating or neglecting animals. This has led me to believe that all owners should be solely responsible for there animals. This way people would treat aniamls like they should.
Don't get me wrong either i am not some kind of animal activist i just hate to hear of any kind of cruelty.

Associate
It's still the owners responsibility to appoint a trustworthy person to look after the animals.
Kennels/Catteries are businesses that do this as a profession, so you're going to be reasonably comfortable leaving your pets there.
So her BF suddenly turned from being a trustworthy person who can look after countless pets, into a mindless thug who let many animals starve to death..that all sounds a bit odd to me.

Shes excercised extreemely poor judgement in giving her BF this responsibility, but again she should have made at least some effort to check their on their welfare in the time she was away.

I truly can't believe that the BF, if asked during this time, would just ignore it and simply not feed/water the animals..it just doesn't add up.

Too many people these days arn't taking responsibility for their actions. 'No wasn't my fault, I gave someone else the responsibility'.

No, they're her animals, and she didn't take (in my view) reasonable steps to ensure their welfare.

Back
Top Bottom