Tough Mudder July preperation

Soldato
Well, I finally signed up to my first event which is the Yorkshire Tough mudder (full) on July 28th.

I've bought some trail running trainers yesterday - Salamon Speedcross 4 (none GTX) and have started running and training better.

Is there any specific training that will help with the event? I already climb indoors once or twice a week, have started outdoor running again and HI training at the gym and doing pyramid sets swimming (which are a real killer!)

If sure there are many on here who have recommendation on training and the event specifically. Things like recommended clothes, socks etc. and what training would help. Current goal is to to lose 5kg whilst not losing muscle (i'm 80kg at the moment, 5' 8)

Also, if anyone else is doing it I don't mind meeting to assist if you are of reasonable pace. I hope to try and get a time of 2:30 - 3 hours, if there are no big hold ups on obstacles

Associate
Make sure you get some hills included in your training runs. The Yorkshire course had a lot of up and down windy bits. The obstacles break up the running a reasonable amount, but the hills were definitely the toughest part for me.

Soldato
you saw tough mudder featured on c4 'how to get fit' programme last week. ?

I don't know if they have different days for different categories of fitness,but what they showed did not look well organised, it looked like an episode of it's a knockout, wtih many people on/waiting for each of the 'sections'.
Had a mate who did the 3 yorkshire peaks race, I accompanied him on some route training sessions and after seeing c4 I would aspire more to 3peaks.

Associate
I don't know if they have different days for different categories of fitness,but what they showed did not look well organised, it looked like an episode of it's a knockout, wtih many people on/waiting for each of the 'sections'.

Tough Mudder isn't timed or split into categories of fitness, or at least it wasn't when I last did one. They are popular and can only have so many people on obstacles at any one time, so you are bound to get a queue.

On the whole they are always organised and ran very well,

Soldato
I did one in 2013 and it was pretty cool. The trick is to choose a start time that isn’t too busy that way queuing is minimal. I think we only queued at a climbing wall type obstacle and a crawl in and get electrocuted kind of deal. Other than that we were always moving. I think the longest run we did was a mile at most and if I’m honest stuff like chin ups(weighted or otherwise) grip work, running and increasing balance will be the way to go. Other than carrying a log most stuff will be shifting your own weight so get lighter or get stronger. :) One of the biggest things is getting a pair of trainers that will stay on, shed water/dry out quick and enable you to run still despite being full of mud and rubbish. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom