1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tourette's housemate 'exploited'

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by iCraig, 19 May 2006.

1. iCraig

PermaBanned

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4997314.stm

Do you think it's right to let this man into the Big Brother house based on his syndrome?

Campaigners believe that adding him into the house is going have alot of adverse effects, it's also probably for the shock value and humourous fascination some people seem to have when they see tourettes in action.

But then again, if he was turned away because he had tourettes, that surely is just as bad?

Thoughts?

2. AJUK

Man of Honour

How stupid do they think we are? He is there because it will make people, most of which are terminally stupid, watch him swear. :D

3. earlyflash

Gangster

He signed up to go on the show didn't he? I didn't think that tourettes impaired your decision making abilities.

4. Vonhelmet

Caporegime

He's there for the comedy value. I think we all know how the programme works.

On the other hand, I do agree that it would be difficult to turn him away specifically because of it.

5. anarchist

PermaBanned

Just make sure we all do our bit and don't watch it. It's the only way they will stop making programmes like that.

6. Beansprout

Man of Honour

I think it's a ******* joke.

;)

7. hola_adios

Wise Guy

Joining the boicot here. Although, considering some of people that watch it, I rather have them at home in front of the telly.
    TV, drug for the masses.

8. Van_Dammesque

Wise Guy

So when this guy is on it will be just them stupid birds going all day! (You know the ones that act like a beeper machine).

I will do my bit not to watch it!

I don't he is being "exploited" because he is willing to go on the show.

9. starscream

PermaBanned

I don't think this guy is being exploited, but I also certainly don't believe C4 have any interest in "Educating" people about touretts. I'm pretty sure the producers just sat round and decided on what stereotypes they thought it would be funny to chuck in together to make an "explosive" mix. They're not being exploited because they all want to be in. Isn't it a competition with a cash prize?

One things for sure, I'm not going to be watching it to find out ;)

10. Cueball

Wise Guy

I would imagine the tourette housemate did the audicions like everyone else.

11. The Edge

Soldato

If he's up for it how is it exploitation?

He must have applied to appear, been interviewed and the people who decide who goes on thought he'd bring in the viewers. He must have wanted to be on BB to have applied.

As for watching it - well i won't be!

12. Jokester

Don

Would these be the same people that would be complaining if they turned him away because of his condition?

Jokester

13. Minstadave

Caporegime

BB is all about the extreme people in it, they're not exploiting the guy with Tourette's anymore than the gay guy who sounds like Mrs Doubtfire, or the minger who's addicted to plastic surgery.

As Jokester said, if they ruled him out because he had Tourette's it be just as bad, if not worse.

14. dirtydog

PermaBanned

A Big Brother thread in SC, god help us.

15. PieEater

Mobster

We all know why he got his place on BB - because we all want to see the freak show. I've never watched BB or that ilk because I object to the voyouristic thrills it promotes. Watch this crap and promote the degredation of society ....

16. Energize

Caporegime

Well said.

17. iCraig

PermaBanned

Thanks for that. But you'll notice that the thread doesn't actually revolve around Big Brother, it's about the man with tourettes and the potential issue of him appearing on a reality TV show.

18. starscream

PermaBanned

What is the potential issue?

19. Nix

Capodecina

Exploitation, in the sense that people will watch to ridicule him. It's a cruel way to ensure ratings will not drop.

20. The Edge

Soldato

But he volunteered for it.

It's not as if C4 went around the streets, pulled him in and said "You're a freak we'll have you on BB" is it?