Tow bar mounted cycle carrier

Associate
I am looking at the option of getting a removable tow bar fitted to my car so that I can get a 3 bike carrier.

Is there anything specific to look out for when getting this done as I can see there are multiple types of tow bar and not really sure of the carrier options.

This will be to move 1x E- MTB, 1x normal adult MTB and 1x kids MTB.

Soldato
Get the one with the highest maximum weight capacity as then it's likely to be most stable. I picked up one second hand, Thule 785 i think and it's been great in the 4 years I've had it. Would try to avoid ones with the bars that attach from the "floor" of the carrier especially with emtb as more than likely the clamp wont fit and they do limit what you can carry.

Associate
I’ve got this, carries 2 x adult, 2 x kids just fine. We have a 2016 xc60 so got a removable towbar fitted by Volvo. I was a bit concerned about what it would look like as they have to cut the bottom bumper but it was really well done and they have a little clip on cover when not in use. Functions perfectly with the Thule. It’s expensive but solid setup.

https://www.thule.com/en-gb/bike-rack/towbar-bike-racks/thule-velospace-xt-3-_-939021

these guys have a good reputation and have some other brands
https://www.roofbox.co.uk/bike-carriers/bike-carriers-racks-range-towbar-mounting.php

I went with Thule as they are everywhere and should I need a part I reckon I have a better chance of finding it in stock where ever I may be.

Associate
I guess also check that you can still open the boot with the bikes loaded if that is likely to be important to you. I think some of them tip forward but don't know if that is common to all. My bikes usually go in the car.

Associate
Does anyone know the difference between the Thule towbar carriers. I’m struggling to find out comparisons. I need to carry 1 emtb and 2 normal mtb. All full suspension and medium or large.
I guess ‘space’ ‘compact’ and ‘folding’ in their descriptions sort of sums up their usp, but will the compact and folding still fit the larger and heavier bikes?
Thanks
Sorry for hijack but it felt better to add to this thread.

Associate
I think you’ll need the velospace x that I have. I think this is the biggest but I still find it a little tight. What I mean is the bike touch due to the spacing, so I use pipe insulation as protectors. Hth

Associate
Does anyone know the difference between the Thule towbar carriers. I’m struggling to find out comparisons. I need to carry 1 emtb and 2 normal mtb. All full suspension and medium or large.
I guess ‘space’ ‘compact’ and ‘folding’ in their descriptions sort of sums up their usp, but will the compact and folding still fit the larger and heavier bikes?
Thanks
Sorry for hijack but it felt better to add to this thread.
So I have the Easyfold XT 2 bike and carries 2 large full sus ebikes no bother. There's a 3 bike version as well and it's very compact when removed and folded up. 30kg max load per bike and 60kg total load capacity so I'd expect no issues with 1 eeb and 2 normal bikes

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks for the replies thus far - 1 vote for Velospace and 1 for Easyfold, which is just about where i started. I'm only really going to consider thule I think.

Easyfold looks way more practical but only 1200mm wheelbase (my mtb is about 1230mm) so not sure...

img

img

Associate
i have the atera strada and its so helpful that it slides so you can get to the boot. Its been across france 5 times without issue with 4 bikes on it.

Associate
IMG-4437.jpg

Loving the Thule Easyfold. Easy to mount, tilts for boot access and folds up to about suitcase size for easy storage in garage.

Last edited:
Associate
Think you made the right choice. I’ve just squeezed ours on and I’m now reconsidering as it’s very tight. Will load a pic when I figure out how :(

Do you have and side on picture with all the bikes on? There looks to be a decent spacing between the slots.

Last edited:
Associate
Think you made the right choice. I’ve just squeezed ours on and I’m now reconsidering as it’s very tight. Will load a pic when I figure out how :(

Do you have and side on picture with all the bikes on? There looks to be a decent spacing between the slots.
I don’t yet but will take a few more at weekend. Thanks

Associate
Put a couple of bikes on this morning, no issues at all with spacing between them.

Biggest problem is finding a space to put the clamps on. The swooped top tubes, and particularly with the Whyte with the top tube mounted shock, make the locating of the bar to the clamp a bit awkward, but not impossible.

IMG-4478.jpg

IMG-4481.jpg

IMG-4479.jpg

IMG-4480.jpg

Associate
I have recently got a Thule Epos 2-bike carrier. I just use it for one gravel bike but by all accounts is good (spacing-wise) for two bikes being loaded and unloaded independently.

Price (RRP) has gone up by almost £100 since I got mine so it's expensive but would still recommend. Flips down for boot access and is reasonably compact when folded up however it's still bulky to carry, the 3-bike version has wheels so easier.

First time using a bike carrier and covered about 2000 miles around France in a couple of weeks and it was great. No issues or movement with high speeds or twisty mountain roads.

Associate

@Skiprat - update on this - I hadn't noticed that the spacing between 2nd and 3rd bike is less then 1st and 2nd (for some reason). As a result the 2 bikes touch slightly at axle (148mm boost). It was tight enough that the sock I put between to stop chaffing survived the 1.5 hour drive back from BPW on Saturday.

Associate
Put a couple of bikes on this morning, no issues at all with spacing between them.

Biggest problem is finding a space to put the clamps on. The swooped top tubes, and particularly with the Whyte with the top tube mounted shock, make the locating of the bar to the clamp a bit awkward, but not impossible.
Gets even more fun when you have 3 or 4 mounted!!
I took pictures to make it easier to put them back on in the future.

Associate
@Skiprat - update on this - I hadn't noticed that the spacing between 2nd and 3rd bike is less then 1st and 2nd (for some reason). As a result the 2 bikes touch slightly at axle (148mm boost). It was tight enough that the sock I put between to stop chaffing survived the 1.5 hour drive back from BPW on Saturday.
Thanks, I did actually figure that if I position first bike to the far left then next bike to the far right and so on then the clearance is much much better. I also have the same issue with routing the clamps. All my bike are trek so there’s limited room on where to feed the clamps when all 4 bikes are on.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom