Tower block fire - london

Soldato
Shocking and terrible news. My heart goes out to those affected, the deceased and their friends and relatives.
I certainly hope serious lessons are learnt from this because the speed it appears to have spread should not occur from a fire wherever it originated within the building, even if it means we need to condemn and replace other buildings which may also share whatever design/implementation flaw has allowed this to happen.

Caporegime
piers morgan ripping into the director of the company who refurbed the tower on itv right now

qUITE RIGHTLY SO BUT WATCHING HIM EARLIER THIS MORNING WAS AWFUL. Every "expert" they had on, Piers just kept asking why the SAS werent there with helicopters lowering people on ropes to rescue those people in the higher levels.

He's ad idiot.

Soldato
I doubt these new laws would have effected this tragedy but the utter greed and self-serving from some troy MP's is disgusting :mad:

Corbyn tried to pass law to make homes safe last year – the Conservatives rejected it

Jeremy Corbyn tried to pass through a law that would required private landlords to make their homes safe and “fit for human habitation” last year – but it was rejected by the Conservatives.

Labour proposed an amendment to the Government’s new Housing and Planning Bill – a raft of new laws aimed at reforming housing law – in January last year, but it was rejected by 312 votes to 219.

According to Parliament’s register of interests, 72 of the MPs who voted against the amendment were themselves landlords who derive an income from a property.
Source

Caporegime
I doubt these new laws would have effected this tragedy but the utter greed and self-serving from some troy MP's is disgusting :mad:

Corbyn tried to pass law to make homes safe last year – the Conservatives rejected it

Source

That final part about 72 of them being landlords themselves.....why are they allowed to vote on such things? It's situations like that wher eI think these politicians should have no affiliations on anything.

Soldato

Source

Think some people need to slow down a bit here. We don't know what the proposed changes were to make 'homes safe and “fit for human habitation”.

They might not have even applied to this building if they were agreed.

Granted that this shouldn't happen with todays building regs / health and saftey / etc. This could have just been a complete freak accident with a series of tragic coincidences that allowed for a fire to develop like this. The building could have been well within code on every front. However, imo, highly unlikely.

Guess we will see.

Associate
On the way to work, I was reading more and more about what was going on and though 'sod it', and went to buy stuff to donate to centres. Walking up in person, the apartment block looks just awful. I didn't want to take a photo or even stare at it too long, its just morbid.

Anyway, the first centre couldn't accept any more donations so walked to another one. Good to see it was filling up with things for those in need.

Part of me is wondering if there might be a better way to co-ordinate donation efforts, many people were getting messy information from Twitter.

Soldato
That final part about 72 of them being landlords themselves.....why are they allowed to vote on such things? It's situations like that wher eI think these politicians should have no affiliations on anything.

Yep, definition of conflict of interest.
It's not like these people are struggling even, it's the undiluted vulgar greed and disregard for other peoples safety and well-being the drives me nuts. Horrible horrible people.

Believe QPR (pretty sure I saw this earlier) have reached out to co-ordinate a relief effort at their stadium.

Fulham FC also.

Jamie Oliver has offered to feed Grenfell residents at one of his nearby restaurants :)

Associate
Believe QPR have reached out to co-ordinate a relief effort at their stadium.

Yeah I saw that, many others as well. More from a point of view is how do we let accurate information be released to the public? Tricky. I would have liked for the 1st relief centre to have a way to get the message out saying 'we are full, please donate to other centres'. But then again, its not really a priority, the stuff will get there eventually.

Soldato
I've had to stop reading about it at work. The fact it involves families... I'm lost for words.
Indeed. An earlier video instantly brought back memories of watching 9/11 live and the spectacle, the utterly incomprehensible spectacle of watching people who had jumped from the towers to escape the inferno ...

The firefighter on LBC then associating scenes of entering and climbing the stairwells to what was witnessed by firefighters in the WTC on 9/11.

Very harcore and very distressing.

Soldato
On the way to work, I was reading more and more about what was going on and though 'sod it', and went to buy stuff to donate to centres. Walking up in person, the apartment block looks just awful. I didn't want to take a photo or even stare at it too long, its just morbid.

Anyway, the first centre couldn't accept any more donations so walked to another one. Good to see it was filling up with things for those in need.

Part of me is wondering if there might be a better way to co-ordinate donation efforts, many people were getting messy information from Twitter.

what did you tell work?

it saddens me that i suspect your answer was you called in sick rather than tell them you had a conscience

Soldato
Indeed. An earlier video instantly brought back memories of watching 9/11 live and the spectacle, the utterly incomprehensible spectacle of watching people who had jumped from the towers to escape the inferno ...

The firefighter on LBC then associating scenes of entering and climbing the stairwells to what was witnessed by firefighters in the WTC on 9/11.

Very harcore and very distressing.

As distressing as 9/11 was, and the parallels are obvious, I couldn't think of anything worse than being stuck in a burning high-rise with my children knowing there's no way out.

Back
Top Bottom