Tower block fire - london

Permabanned
LA fire department with an air cushion (note - not an 'oxygen' cushion)

I am terrible I know, but for some reason I was expecting a Village People sound track to that image. It seems high rise buildings pose unique hazards when they catch well alight and there's no real answer to evacuating hundreds from such an inferno, Hollywood's Towering Inferno and Paul Newman apart. I actually feel a bit sorry for Mrs. May, what the hell more can happen in the course of her short watch? Tragic, just tragic....

VRkABL6.jpg

Soldato
Besides being potentially abused by drunks.. why don't high rise apartments have strong attachment points, and emergency rope/ carabiners, so occupants can abseil themselves down, perhaps one in each room or ones at communal areas?

People might say training needs to be involved, which is probably out of the question, however if you are at the point of abseiling out of your high rise apartment you are probably at last chance saloon and out of options. Learning to abseil, or just climb down the rope, on the fly probably has a higher chance of survival than jumping...
Tower block I work in has heavy eyelets running around the inside of the external walls. No idea what their purpose is, to be honest.

Soldato
Tower block I work in has heavy eyelets running around the inside of the external walls. No idea what their purpose is, to be honest.

Man safe eye bolts for repair, cladding inspections window cleaning anything that involves you leaning out the window etc. I've seen people abseil buildings for inspection and hook them on secondary lines though.

Caporegime
Man that safety device is terrible. Did you see the problems the 3 of them had getting down?

seems more like one of them was continually mincing about and the other two had to keep stopping and waiting for him

I thought it was quite a high figure, some reports are 400-600.

that does seem crazy given the number of apartments... does that include people evacuated from nearby buildings too? I doubt the whole building is full of Polish sports direct workers

Caporegime
seems more like one of them was continually mincing about and the other two had to keep stopping and waiting for him

that does seem crazy given the number of apartments... does that include people evacuated from nearby buildings too? I doubt the whole building is full of Polish sports direct workers

Are you serious?

Two parents and three kids isnt unusual.

Soldato
it'll rise but hopefully not to 50.. :|

Hopefully not but when you look at the numbers being spoken about;

400-600 potential occupants
70 in hospital
6 confirmed dead
??? confirmed out
Fire crews only reached halfway up

The numbers don't bode well :(

Soldato
I know it gets said all the time but make sure your smoke detectors are working and that you have one. I've recently bought a fire extinguisher from Amazon for home for less than £20. It might have made the difference in this case if the person who's apartment the fire had started in could have dealt with it.

Back
Top Bottom