1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toyota Celica 1990 GT-Four

Discussion in 'Motors' started by Stinky, 6 Jul 2006.

1. Stinky

Sgarrista

Going to look at one of these later on, what should i look out for on them??

i cant seem to find a site with all the stats on it, like BHP, 0-60 times etc

2. Adz

Capodecina

Black smoke
    Clunky suspension
    Vague steering

3. Hate

Soldato

that sounds like an ST185 or a 165, these didn't have the superstrut suspension so should not be afflicted with the clunking.

the usual things, black smoke when boosting and any other turbocharged cars.

If its an ST165 (squarer) they are about 180BHP standard, 0-60 7.5ish
    If its an ST185 (rounder) they are about 200BHP standard, similar 0-60 (they are lardy things)
    Mine, the ST205 has the bug eyes and is about 250BHP standard, 0-60 in 5.5

being a 1990 itll be an ST1x5 thou

4. D4VE

Sgarrista

It's a very old car now, check everything really.

5. L Plate

Mobster

smoke due to the turbo being on its way out,

mayonnaise in the oil cap, due to the headgasket going,

loud clunk from the rear diff when you change up and accelerate, diff bush gone,

whining from the rear diffs,

the list goes on,

needless to say if you cant afford a good one, then you cant afford a bad one ;)

Having had one they can be a money pit, but real fun to drive ;)

6. toyotacelicagt4

Hitman

Why not go for the ST205? Its much better and faster.

7. Jez

Caporegime

For reasonably obvious reasons, i would have thought?

8. Draeger

Capodecina

Mate of mine bought one of these last year for something to play with.

It's a Carlos Sainz version, was enthusiast owned and its minted with a reasonably low mileage ( 76,000 ). Slightly modded engine, chip+exhaust etc.

Been in it a few times and it can certainly shift of the mark. It corners like very few other cars I've been in, like its on the proverbial "rails".

These cars are getting on a bit though, but if you can find a good one like others have said, they are very rewarding to drive quickly.

9. RiPz

Hitman

Dad has one... 1990.. ST185

second gear on the gearbox, thrust washers go so quick..

oil seals on the turbo

air con will probably be dead (just rip the thing out)

wont be any rust on an ST185, but an ST165 will probably be rusted all over

interiors tend to wear well

we timed ours (JDM), 0-60 after only changing the exhaust, 0-60 and got 6.2 seconds flat..

depends what you're after, but i personally would get an ST205 (dad wants to sell his ST185 in favour of one), purely because they're much more tunable, and have the better gear box

10. Dogbreath

Capodecina

The ST205 is pretty much the same weight as the 185, certinaly no less "lardy".

11. Hate

Soldato

wrong, its about 100kg lighter, the ST205 is about 1380, whereas the ST185 is nearer 1480.

the ST205's bonnet is over 20KG lighter, it has lighter engine components, lighter suspension, lighter brakes blah blah.

the ST185 also has electric memory seats that are about 30KG each, the ST205 doesn't

etc. etc.

Last edited: 7 Jul 2006
  12. Stinky

Sgarrista

i can need to think of insurance. being only 18 i have got a quote on the 2l Carlos Stainz version ;)

found the 1990 version for 1600£

13. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

Are you sure it's really that clever a car for somebody of 18 who hasn't been driving a year?

Do you work full time? If you are a student how will you ever afford to keep it on the road?

14. Scrutinize

Sgarrista

Hey buddy, not a bad car but very old now and problems with age and mileage will be a killer in running costs. I would suggest you get a newer car which is a bit more sensible in the insurance grouping and likely to be affordable to keep on the road.

I am assuming your on a tight budget hence why your looking at a 16 year old one.

All the ones I have seen at this age are nakered and at the end of their life and onging maintenance will be £££s.

15. Stinky

Sgarrista

i am in full time work.

so i could save for a new version, what sorta price am i looking at?

16. Hate

Soldato

you can get decent ST205s from about 5K upwars, expect to pay 8K for a mint one

17. Pepz

Wise Guy

My uncle had one last year, hes only 19 but works full time and does alot of millage. The GT4 is a lovely car, obviously rapid but as he found out, be careful, he got his quite cheap, 4-5K if I remember correctly, managed to get 7K for it but the engine was on the way out, full re-build needed apprently, which would of cost his close to the value of the car!

Mike

18. Stinky

Sgarrista

i am now looking at the slightly newer (1995) 2litre GT version as it is cheaper to insure but is slightly slower.

anyone got any thoughts on this one? is it much slower? i know its missing the turbo lol

19. Confused

Sgarrista

It's quite a bit slower - it's a 2 litre N/A engine rather than a 2 litre turbo engine, and it's also FWD opposed to 4wd of the GT Four

20. Hate

Soldato

you're losing about 50 BHP if you go for the GT version, its like any other FWD coupe then (FTO / Prelude / Celica)