TP-LINK Archer AX10 AX1500 Wi-Fi 6 Router... great value and excellent performance.

Caporegime
Hi guys. So, I was planning on holding out with my geriatric Netgear R6300v2 for another 6 months until something badass hit the market with Wifi6E and 10GBE ethernet and then sit tight for the next X years, as detailed in this thread. https://www.overclockers.co.uk/foru...rs-with-a-10gbe-port-on-the-horizon.18876669/

Sadly my 6300 decided, after randomly starting to lose power and connection a week or so earlier, to give up the ghost and die. Very annoyed by this most inconvenient timing, I started looking for something cheap and cheerful to tide me over.

My research led me to the TP-LINK Archer AX10 AX1500 Wi-Fi 6 Router as seen here https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/wifi-router/archer-ax10/

Reviews seems very positive and the price was fine at £80, so I ordered one yesterday and then received it today. I realise that my benchmark was already very low as the R6300 was a dinosaur but wow, colour me impressed! :eek:
  • The wired internet and also network transfer performance is around 30% faster than my old R6300 and now maxes out my Gigabit fibre internet connection.
  • The Wifi signal is now much stronger, and actually goes through my bedroom wall into my living room and kitchen while maintaining a strong signal whereas my R6300 would break up badly.
  • The software interface is extremely user friendly and easy to use and I was up and running with all of my fixed IP devices in no time.
If anyone is looking for a modern router without breaking the bank then I highly recommend this one. It may well have delayed my next router purchase by some time. :D

Soldato
Great to hear. I know it's slightly different but I have the AX50 model (in AP mode hooked up to my Huawei router). But yeah, it's great. Good signal as you say and I too like their interface / GUI layout as well. Just a tip, general consensus is to have the end two antenna angled slightly outwards. Maybes 45º compared to the two middle antenna.

Caporegime
OP
Great to hear. I know it's slightly different but I have the AX50 model (in AP mode hooked up to my Huawei router). But yeah, it's great. Good signal as you say and I too like their interface / GUI layout as well. Just a tip, general consensus is to have the end two antenna angled slightly outwards. Maybes 45º compared to the two middle antenna.
Cool thanks for the tip! What did you upgrade from and do you find wired performance snappy?:)

Soldato
Cool thanks for the tip! What did you upgrade from and do you find wired performance snappy?:)

No worries - I'm using it in AP mode so just literally as a WiFi Router. I'm wired for other things to powerline adapters straight back to the main Huawei 4G Router in the loft. :) But the WiFi is great. Sorted out the channels so no conflicts, and then luckily I have two devices that can use 160Mhz channel width on 5Ghz. Everything else I have on 2.4Ghz (mainly mobile phones). So can't quite comment on the wired performance. But it's a nice piece of kit. Quite slim too, which I'd imagine the AX10 is as well.

Soldato
What network card have you got for wifi6

I have a AX200 based intel one and its stopped working at 160Mhz.....

Its ridiculous....

I have a AX6000 router and its a beast.

I just have the 1 WiFi6 card, coming tomorrow :) - https://www.overclockers.co.uk/tp-l...-6-bluetooth-5.0-pci-e-adapter-nw-21u-tp.html

So can let you know what happens. I have the latest Intel AX200 WiFi drivers installed in readiness (v21.120.2).

My other device is a laptop which uses 5Ghz at 160Mhz is just a regular AC adapter, not AX. (That uses an Intel 9560 2x2 adapter)

Thanks.

Soldato
If you have issues let me know :p

If not im happy for you lol.

Well the PCIE adapter arrived today (weird should have been Monday!). Anywho, installed fine, yeah no problems. Connected correctly (although I did have to drop PCIE speed from 4x to 2x in BIOS oops). But yep. Using it now as I type. :) Quick speed test of everything is giving me 140Mbps down and about 20Mbps up. (I'm on 4G broadband) Windows popped up saying I'm using a WiFi6 Network, and no problems on 5Ghz band with a 160Mhz channel width in the TP-Link AX50 Router.

Sorry @Richdog for taking the thread slightly off topic. :)

Caporegime
OP
No worries - I'm using it in AP mode so just literally as a WiFi Router. I'm wired for other things to powerline adapters straight back to the main Huawei 4G Router in the loft. :) But the WiFi is great. Sorted out the channels so no conflicts, and then luckily I have two devices that can use 160Mhz channel width on 5Ghz. Everything else I have on 2.4Ghz (mainly mobile phones). So can't quite comment on the wired performance. But it's a nice piece of kit. Quite slim too, which I'd imagine the AX10 is as well.
Nice. My old man is looking to buy one to use as an access point as his interet and wifi is so sketchy. I'll check out how it works. :)

What network card have you got for wifi6

I have a AX200 based intel one and its stopped working at 160Mhz.....

Its ridiculous....

I have a AX6000 router and its a beast.
Hmm my motherboard has integrated Wifi and I'm not sure what settings it's running it I haven't checked as I only use a wired network on my PC.

Caporegime
OP
The only issue I have with this router is that the content filter only allows 32 keyword or website entries... I realise it's not an enterprise router but wtf that is tiny by any standards.

Back
Top Bottom