TP-Link Archer C50 AC1200, any good?

Associate
Is this router good for a budget router? I have a Virgin hub 3, which can be set to modem mode, and connect a better router. I want to get a VPN, which I believe the Virgin hub is incompatible with. I'm not needing anything fancy, and a budget limit of approximately £50. I just need something basic and simple which functions well. I've only got 3 wireless devices in a small house (so signal strength does not need to be special), rarely on at the same time, and my hardwired PC. The above I see for £35, and it has a lot of positive reviews, but there may be a better one within budget. I'm a router noob, but I know how to access settings in case any setup is needed, but nothing 'too' technical.

Soldato
'get a VPN'?

Running the VPN client on the router isn't a good idea unless you can be selective about what gets routed via the VPN. I very much doubt that the C50, or any other router in a similar price bracket, would allow for that. If probably hasn't got the processing power to run a VPN connection as a decent speed either.

If you run the VPN client on the individual devices you should be fine with the Virgin Hub.

I'd be prepared to at least double your budget or not bother with a third-party router at all.

Associate
OP
By get a VPN, I merely meant subscribing to a service such as Nordvpn, not installing anything on the router. From experience in the past, and some research, I believe the Virgin hub 3 is set so you can't use a vpn service with it. It's blocked in router settings, as far as I've read.

Surely there's no need to spend £100 for a basic but decent router, I'd be surprised and disappointed if that was the case.

Soldato
According to Google there's an option on the Hub 3 that allows VPN traffic through.

Advanced Settings -> Firewall -> Block fragmented IP packets (disable it).

Easy enough to check for yourself.

If you aren't expecting the router to handle the VPN client then the C50 should work for you as long as you have reasonable expectations.

Associate
OP
Google is full of conflicting tales regarding VM hub 3 and VPN's, some people have an awful time, some people find a workaround, some people have no issue.

Anyhow, if the TP-Link is alright, that's good. I was wondering if there were any better, or if they are all same-ish around that price point.

Soldato
At that price point, you're basically buying something that's going to be no better, or possibly worse, than what the ISPs are supplying.

Have you actually tried running a VPN over the Virgin Hub? Who cares about conflicting tales on Google if you have the equipment there to try it for yourself?

Soldato
To OP I got the c50 as my backup router when my own pfsense firewall fails.

It does what it says on the tin. Minimal setup and works out of the box. Although I did have quite frequent drop on my internet connection, not sure it was the link, modem or the router.

But I did experience some weird WiFi drop outs as well on my mobile devices. But going to my setting and reconnect the WiFi solves it. Lastly the range is decent but don’t expect decent transfer rate. Streaming across that WiFi through a few walls is not something I would recommend.

Back
Top Bottom