tpm and bitlocker

Associate
wondering about bitlocker and using a tpm. First off if you use bitlocker with a tpm then anyone stealing the computer can still get into your encrypted disk because the tpm allows the drive to be decrypted? unless you use 2 stage authentication?
what happens if they remove the tpm and use it in another motherboard, is the tpm password tied tot he old computer. In the event of the computer failing and you want to use the drive attached to another computer, even if it was setup with a tpm it will just ask for your password when attached to another computer so you wont get locked out? thanks.

Soldato
No your disk will still be encrypted. TPM doesn't decrypt the disk so if you start with a password reset disk it will still be encrypted. I'd personally put a password on your BIOS, change the boot order to be HD only and then encrypt the hard-drive.

You can also put a PIN / Password on Bitlocker so that when it starts it asks for this.

You also need to make sure that your user account has a password as, most people, will have an administrative account and then have no password meaning it boots straight into the OS.

If you attach the disk to another computer you will need to provide the decrypt file - personally I encrypt mine with a long password and then save it in online storage.

M.

Back
Top Bottom