Track Days / Starting out...

Soldato
Hi Lads...

This is something ive always wanted to do and never really made the jump.

Im interested in starting out doing track days, but in a dedicated machine.

The plan would be to buy a trailer and take something old and cheap (a 924 is tempting) and thrash it to death on the track. I would take a learner track lesson or two beforehand and do it all above board.

Im basically looking for helkp with what to get with regards to equipment.

Im on the hunt for a cheap car trailer, and i have a new focus coming at the end of the month (TDCI estate) which will act as the horse. The integra will not be taken on track :p as much as it tempts me.

I assume ill need helmets/harnesses etc?

Any help appreciated.

Mic

Mic

Soldato
As far as i know you dont need a harness just a helmet and seat belt.
Get an old CRX, stick in a roll cage and a integra type r engine and bingo bango. Track weapon.

Soldato
How about a mk1 MR2, they are always going cheap on autotrader. Buy one with a full normal roof (no t-bar) then buy a T-bar front strut brace and fit it. That will make the chassis very rigid indeed.

Last edited:

GT3

GT3

Soldato
I'm booked on a track day on a small track in southern scotland, its only small but twisty so should mean my car might put in semi-reasonable times. Going with the saxosportsclub and its going to be featured in Performance GTI so should be a laugh and give me a bit of experience before tackling bigger tracks in a more powerful car. Best bit is it only costs £70 for two days of unlimited thrashing round it - Can't wait. I would also love to go later in the year to the Nurburgring when I get whatever new car I get, but realistically it will be next year.

Soldato
I have been to a sprint track only, it was enough for me at the moment due to cost (not the day as such but tyres and brakes). Watched a few friends at Anglsea and it all seemed very serious with spare wheels, spare oil and fuel, and then pressured to get on track! The atmospehere at the sprint track was far more relaxed!

It was one at a time so no danger of hurting anyone except yourself, reasonably slow but twisty so you can get a feel for the car and I didn't kill a set of tyres!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom