Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Soldato
Nice jump for Standard Life today after they sold a Canadian unit. Apparently they are returning 73p per share as a result of the sale. Not bad given these were shares I got for free when they floated.

Next few weeks will be interesting in the run up to the Scottish vote and then the aftermath.

Caporegime
Standard life is one I thought about and didn't get in before they announced that 14p special dividend a while back. Think they were about 170 then (

Soldato
I did the SL IPO, one my rare lucky moments as i funded it with Bradford bingley shares!
Best thing was to just hold but I traded many times including a 130p buy (400 now :eek:) but Ive sold way too early, silly me. Nice div and always was

Are they to go into Asia finally, their efforts were token & I did not expect growth here

Glad I sold Apple but they can bounce back probably. Volume is greater on the downside now
Thing is maybe Samsung is a buy, do they have good ideas on new phones :confused: (maybe the whole asia pacific tracker is a buy)

93CCXJZ.jpg
http://ryandetrick.tumblr.com/post/96562460475/bears-at-their-lowest-level-since-1987-now

Soldato
Lol yes ... down on BP here just over 500 quid today. I have a feeling its an overreaction. The judge was local to New Orleans, so BP will appeal it higher up the food chain. It would be a long time before they have to cough anything extra up.

BBC news linky for anyone who doesn't know what this is about.

Caporegime
I have to watch what i say online about BP so tend to not say much - but thanks for adding the link.

Don't think the US realise how much 'they' have in the company. But i guess this and potential russia sanctions may drive it lower - although it seems to have held the drop in the US market. Personally i think its a good top up price. 5.1% yield now too

Last edited:
Soldato
I put in an order for 44 on the BP adr which looks to have been roughly right, however the order is unfilled as it went to 44.67 then rose. Typical but I'd rather just top up BP.l anyway and I guess it'll drift here anyway and maybe even go lower (42)

Under the US Clean Water Act, a ruling of negligence would have meant BP was liable to pay $1,100 per barrel of oil spilled; gross negligence increases the penalty to $4,300 per barrel.
Yea I figured that must be it. I thikn they made a mistake and underestimated the effects of excessive methane content when drilling. I dont think they ignored the regulators warning and sold the lifeboats for beer money but its very political as votes rely on stern treatment for BP

Also there is the number of barrels actually spilt to debate, some estimates might include the gas some just the liquid I guess.
The actual spill could have been so much worse, I had no idea about friendly bacteria breaking it down making it far better then the valdez as I remember it

Also mention of Iraq but BP only gets a penny a barrel so who cares really. Russia is the biggest thing to swing either way, USA melodrama is a given already imo

Last edited:
Soldato
Nice jump for Standard Life today after they sold a Canadian unit. Apparently they are returning 73p per share as a result of the sale. Not bad given these were shares I got for free when they floated.

Next few weeks will be interesting in the run up to the Scottish vote and then the aftermath.

very happy - still holding my SL shares that I bought at the outset (never got any free ones but purchase some).

Should be a decent little haul for me off the back of the 73p announcement. Think between special diviends, this payout and all other regular dividends they have paid out approx 150p so far a share plus nearly doubling in share price.

Also GWP continues to improve - up at 452p today at close of business (from my purchase price of 77p average) - all looking decent for a change!

(apart from still holding a bit of KEA - down 96% on these! 20p to 0.8p)

Last edited:
Soldato
Whats the news then? or is it on its way?

upgrade to the resources at the Tanzania site, and about 2 weeks till the Horse Hill (UK) site results are announced (currently being drilled).

It's been as high as 42% up today on yesterday's close. Currently 30% up (lots of people day trading etc)

Soldato
Yea, not really worked for me but I dont use them often

http://www.t3live.com/articles/market-analysis/5065-apple-event-day-reddogs-quick-game-plan.html
I rate this guy as one of the good guys for trading. He runs through the iphone release and how he views the stock bias on that

BP gained nicely from possible Russian truce ? That was a nice possible trade, looking at where it can level off and maybe appreciate further long term
The actual ukranian iron ore company gained nothing :o metals are weak afaik

QPP to gain further from this slight case win, reputation restored slightly ?

Soldato
How To Become A Profitable Trader And Emphasize Risk Management
Thursday, September 11, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:30 PM EDT
https://www2.gotomeeting.com/register/411493274

Trading since he was 11 and for decades since :D well worth attending imo or recording to listen later for anyone risking cash in a market even long term I think applies

Looking at SBRY and QFI for unreasonable weakness

Caporegime
https://www2.gotomeeting.com/register/411493274

Trading since he was 11 and for decades since :D well worth attending imo or recording to listen later for anyone risking cash in a market even long term I think applies

and there are a bunch of others just like him all peddling some story...

the website is pretty typical:

Brian Shannon

Internationally Known Successful Trader And Author Gives His Secret Formula For Sealing Big Profits

wow, he's going to share his secret formula....

This sort of stuff is generally pure noise... marketing aimed at selling some subscriptions to his website which appears to be the usual 'technical analysis' rubbish aimed at retail traders...

Soldato
Its not that retail, his clients would have big money by most standards. I just think the free advice is applicable to even a smaller trader or even investor.
I wouldnt just post a random link, it does look like a lot of hard sell out there but I followed that guy for years and he doesnt spam, etc

1. Cash flow crisis
During the first six months of this year, Petropavlovsk generated $136.9m of cash from its operations. Of this, $36.7m (27%) was spent on interest payments, while 14% went on income tax.

That left $80m, which was not even enough to cover the firm’s $121m of capital expenditure, let alone reduce Petropavlovsk’s net debt, which was largely managed by a $106m repayment from the firm’s cash balance.

If we discount the firm’s $57.8m of expenditure on discontinued operations, free cash flow was $16m — mere pocket change compared to the firm’s $924m net debt.
The story of bonds vs share holders. I think POG is looking bullish ironically but it fell 15% today. The news aint new though, rights issue incoming
http://www.fool.co.uk/investing/201...shareholders-face-dilution-to-fund-bond-swap/

http://www.fool.co.uk/investing/201...sk-plc-shareholders-may-be-left-with-nothing/

Anyone got a position on Fastnet Gas (LSE:FAST)???

from one surfer to another, it looks like 10 is a reasonable target. Bullish chart, any reason for that? Volume in the last month especially has been far greater, has it issued more shares

METALS-Lead hits 3-month low, copper up ahead of Fed meeting
* Cash copper trades at 3-mth high against benchmark * Two-day Federal Reserve meeting begins Tuesday * LME nickel stocks extend rise, hit another record (Updates with official prices) By Eric Onstad LONDON, Sept 16 (Reuters) - Lead sank to a three-month low on Tuesday as speculators added to their bets that the battery metal would see more losses amid plentiful supply, while copper ticked higher on near-term shortages. Volumes were lower than usual as traders squared their books ahead of a Federal Reserve meeting that is expected to offer clues on when U.S. interest rates will climb. Three-month lead CMPB3 fell to $2,086 a tonne, the weakest since June 16, before recovering to trade unchanged at $2,098 in official open outcry activity. Analyst David Wilson at Citi said it appeared that speculators had added to short positions, following a big down move on Sept. 9, which damaged the technical outlook. "I expect there's a new downward trend setting in," he said. "Lead is generally weaker over the summer months, but usually you'd expect inventory to start getting cancelled now as we're running into the restocking period by battery manufacturers." LME lead inventories MPBSTX-TOTAL have gained 17 percent since the start of July, showing supply was healthy. Three-month LME copper CMCU3 firmed 0.54 percent to $6,857 a tonne in official rings after ending the previous session a little weaker. LME copper slipped to its lowest in nearly three months at $6,734 a tonne on Sept. 11. Adding support to copper was the expiry of the September contract this week. Cash prices traded at a $44 premium against the benchmark contract. That was the loftiest in three months, suggesting a shortfall of immediately available LME metal. LME copper stocks are near six-year lows. CMCU0-3 There was also the threat of reduced supply from the world's largest copper mine, Chile's Escondida, where a trade union said it had called 24 hour strikes for Sept. 22 and 24, in support of improved working conditions. ID:nL1N0RG2L4 FED MEETING Some other LME metals were slightly firmer. "There's an element of retracement from yesterday's weakness and possibly a bit of position-squaring ahead of the Federal Reserve's two-day meeting that starts today," said analyst Mark Keenan at Societe Generale in Singapore. "It's been a pretty weak period in general, month-to-date. For example, ali (aluminium) is still 4.5 percent down, including today's bounce, which is a pretty steep fall." Aluminium CMAL3 added 0.7 percent to $2,005 a tonne in official trading. The Fed is facing a pivotal meeting as it debates a potential overhaul of its guidance on interest rates and seeks to nail down a plan for ending its extraordinarily easy monetary policy. ID:nL1N0RB1GL Higher interest rates would pump up costs for industry and reduce cash on hand for commodity investors. In other metals, broker Triland said in a note that LME nickel was "back at the lower end of its summer range and as such it is becoming difficult to make a bullish case, in the short term at least". It said it would watch support around $17,800 a tonne "with interest". The metal CMNI3 traded down 0.22 percent at $18,010 a tonne in official activity, recovering slightly from a session low of $17,890, the weakest since June 13, after LME stocks rose to another record peak MNISTX-TOTAL . Zinc CMZN3 rose 0.25 percent to $2,255 a tonne in official rings and tin CMSN3 shed 0.33 percent to $21,005

Seems like metals being weak does not match higher stockmarket, ie real sustained growth

Is XEL cheap because of the Scottish vote ?

Last edited:
Caporegime
Its not that retail, his clients would have big money by most standards. I just think the free advice is applicable to even a smaller trader or even investor.
I wouldnt just post a random link, it does look like a lot of hard sell out there but I followed that guy for years and he doesnt spam, etc

he might well not spam... but he's unlikely to add much value either - these sorts of things usually are of limited use - aside from giving the usual generic stuff you'd find anywhere covering some 'technical analysis', 'money management' etc... you're unlikely to find anything to give you much of an edge - generally its self defeating for anyone with a genuine edge in short term trading to actually share it with people.

Associate
Random question about news sources.

I've been reading up on various companies and getting into a bit of share dealing recently. One thing i notice from various news sites is that many seem to try and get you to click onto some article that is selling a certain stock "See the Stock Warren Buffett and other Billionaires are raving about".

Normally online this would completely put me off a website and reduce my confidence in the article, but it seems almost the done thing. Should I ignore such sites and are there sites that are better / worse for news / opinion?

Cheers

Caporegime
"See the Stock Warren Buffett and other Billionaires are raving about". is kind of obviously lame internet marketing... ignore it.

Back
Top Bottom