Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Associate
Random question about news sources.

I've been reading up on various companies and getting into a bit of share dealing recently. One thing i notice from various news sites is that many seem to try and get you to click onto some article that is selling a certain stock "See the Stock Warren Buffett and other Billionaires are raving about".

Normally online this would completely put me off a website and reduce my confidence in the article, but it seems almost the done thing. Should I ignore such sites and are there sites that are better / worse for news / opinion?

Cheers

If it's 'Motley Fool' you're reading I would stop..

Soldato
The art of skimming news or articles is kinda useful. There is so much possible information and most of us dont have a personal understanding of geology or whatever, so you need to read somewhere.

If you asking whats most legitimate, maybe FT.com and then discussion based but similar would be http://ftalphaville.ft.com/
and of course USA overshadows every reference so you cant ignore global sites like http://seekingalpha.com/

Linked to twitter would be stocktwits which I like as it has a lot of low level but skilled long term traders like I mention occasionally. I keep a whole list of them for a ticker like feed.

You need to build up your own understanding, if you hear of a broker downgrade and say Goldsachs downgrade Barclays on funding fears then that news is coming to you late. They dont tell you stuff for free, nobody does and if Barclays has already fallen 10 or 20% even then it could just be the time to buy even as you hear of these fears. The big money pays for news and investigations and entire research departments, a report cost to you $200.

I would recommend reading Questor who writes in the telegraph. Thats an entire team, I prefered the old guy which is Garry White but he is on twitter still and works for Stanley morgan and will give decent research/opinion imo, even for the punters like us.

I do skim motley and others but you should expect to be spammed by them. iii are ok. I keep a portfolio list on a few sites, yahoo has done this for years. Morningstar +sites above will email you on news/RNS at 7am every day

I think this guy is a favourite and stocktube is ok https://twitter.com/mgrahamwood

Last edited:
Caporegime
Hi All, anyone know who to use for the cheapest broker per pip ?

Thank you

in terms of whats available for retail traders most of these places aren't brokers but are essentially 'bucket shops' which take the other side of your trade

there are some ECNs specifically aimed at retail traders - the microstructure of these places isn't exactly transparent in general

Even the ECNs aimed at institutions can have dubious last look provisions etc.. that favour their larger liquidity providers.

basically FX is a den of thieves and you've got to be fairly careful

for a retail punter then perhaps take a look at FX futures on CME Globex or maybe something like LMAX

you're probably best avoiding it in general though

nam

nam

Soldato
thank you but i was not interested in just the forex but the other opportunities i could use for shares too with the leverage i can obtain as i could not see this opportunity if i used a regular trading account such as x-o

Caporegime
Well you only mentioned pips... which applies to FX.

A good all round solution is interactive brokers.

There will be cheaper solutions out there though if you say wanted to trade mostly US equities or mostly futures etc...

For UK equities, if you're going to be actively trading then the CFD services from interactive brokers or from IG markets are probably the best options. Most other CFD services offered to retail punters don't differ much from spread betting and are therefore a bit pointless. IB and IG actually let you interact with the exchange order book then clear your trade as a CFD to avoid stamp duty... makes it a different proposition to the two way quotes offered by other providers.

The cheapest/best really depends on a lot of things such as account size, how much you're trading etc...etc...

Soldato
A normal broker can offer to margin account to customers for shares. Apparently it was common in 1929, I think Barclays will leverage if you ask and pass their suitability tests.

Or you can leverage manually. I remember a guy who still trades now, ex bank staff and he mortgaged his house to buy Lloyds shares in 2008. No fool just unfortunate turn of events, Lloyds were mostly cautious afaik until hbos.

When I work out overnight interest on 'bucket shops' its like 7% maybe but they also add about 1% spread to the share as well. You do avoid stamp duty so it kinda works out for really quick trades

Message me if you want, I know a good site to get rebates, codes for this kind of deal

Kinda an easy squeeze to forsee, inflation exceeds wages for most of the last five years probably the next five imo. Which horse to bet, Tesco or SBRY ?
I should have been more negative, I thought TSCO had lateral expansion going on (minor effect)

POG falls to 20p now. formerly 1020p
Shares can be like the end of a bull whip, sharp moves occur in commodities especially. The main point to consider seriously is, companies are already leveraged operators and extremes can occur

Last edited:
Soldato
Just had a thought. I think I’ve read somewhere that if you’re short on a company then you have to cover the dividend of any shares you’ve “borrowed”. If this is true, does it also mean that if you’re long on a share then you also receive the relevant dividends?

Soldato
Last edited:
Caporegime
When I work out overnight interest on 'bucket shops' its like 7% maybe but they also add about 1% spread to the share as well. You do avoid stamp duty so it kinda works out for really quick trades

often works out cheaper still for active trading if you just trade the underlying futures contract (or use CFDs for individual equities)

spread betting is useful for small accounts or perhaps a situation where you want to just take the occasional directional punt - it is however deceptively expensive with the costs you've highlighted... stamp duty can be avoided with CFDs too and the capital gains tax issue is much less relevant really when compared with the difference in costs to the point where some strategies that might next you a taxable profit with CFDs could cause you a loss/be unfeasible with spread betting.

Associate
Supermarkets are being battered again today. Big drops for Sains, Tesco and Morrisons.

Wondering how low they can get. There has to be a good opportunity to get in at some point. Anyone here invested in them?

Soldato
Supermarkets are being battered again today. Big drops for Sains, Tesco and Morrisons.

Wondering how low they can get. There has to be a good opportunity to get in at some point. Anyone here invested in them?

In both Tescos and Sainsburys and down quite a bit on them. They were supposed to be long term steady boring shares, not going up or down much at all. I got that wrong. Avoided Morrisons as I saw them as the weakest of the big 4.

Tesco seems a bit over-sold at the moment with the new boss forcing out the dodgy accounting that's gone on - but its a toss-up as to whether there's more to come or this is the end of it. Clearly some people on the board there been asleep at the wheel and need booting out. I hope the institutional investors will be having words.

Sainsburys are my SIPP so I can afford to be patient. Best I can say for Tesco is they're something I can use to cut CGT if any of my other shares come in in a big way.

Soldato
Of the three Sainsbury is the better looking share.
MRW ex div today where the other two are still upcoming

http://www.bloomberg.com/video/sain...-white-wLNflXzsQQmdfL4uKYSDLg.html?cmpid=yhoo

Garry White @GarryWhite · 9h 9 hours ago
Generous start to supermarket shares evaporates. Wm Morrison (-4.2%); Tesco (-2.4%); and J Sainsbury (-2.1%). #FTSE
Reply0 replies Retweet1 retweet1 Favorite0 favorites
More
Garry White @GarryWhite · 10h 10 hours ago
Sainsbury shares rise 0.5% at the open after trading update, with Tesco down 0.1% after regulatory probe news.
Reply0 replies Retweet0 retweets Favorite0 favorites
More
Garry White @GarryWhite · 10h 10 hours ago
J Sainsbury now sees sales down about 2.1% in the second half compared with prior guidance of a 0.2% rise
More
Garry White @GarryWhite · 11h 11 hours ago
J Sainsbury shareholders have to wait until November 12 to find out if the dividend is safe
More
Garry White @GarryWhite · 11h 11 hours ago
Sainsbury LFLs fall 2.8% - not as bad as expected. Co also rubbishes latest Kantar data.
I dont think tsco is coming back up this week, I have small order nearer to 160
https://www.fool.co.uk/investing/20...j-sainsbury-plc-wm-morrison-supermarkets-plc/
Motley is off the scale as a contary indicator on this one :p

Back
Top Bottom