Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Associate
Then after a year decide it's probably best left to the experts once you've lost about 20%. :p

That's the worst point to give up. I'm a firm believer of using losses to expand your experience and knowledge to become a better investor.

How big is the UK market for cigarettes?

Around £15bn but the two big public UK tobacco companies sell products all around the world.

Soldato
That's the worst point to give up. I'm a firm believer of using losses to expand your experience and knowledge to become a better investor.

True. Over time you'll learn to become less attached to your investments and have a better understanding of market movements/news etc.

Probably the best piece of advice therefore is to not go in balls deep and if you're a teacher on £17k a year don't try spread betting: http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/other...8000pa-lose-£280000-spread-betting/ar-BBiksH4

:p

Soldato
Surly tobacco is a bad sale atm, with everyone switching to e-cigs.
Although I suppose that's probably not the case on a global scale.

Your latter comment is probably more apt. I guess you'd have to research and analyse sales of ciggies all over the World over a period of a few years to ascertain any trends; not a particularly easy task.

Caporegime
So FTSE is at a all time high, oil is low, euro is weak and UK inflation is 0%

Interesting times really but 'whats next?' is the big question?

Personally im thinking of looking out to use one of these Super Shorts on the FTSE if it has a small correct (2x short).

FTSE100 companies have done very well that i hold, GSK,AV,ADM, VOD etc but my crappy AIM ones are still crap. Regret even going for those high risk gambles, the steady FTSE ones have done much better (and pay nice dividends)

I am looking at RIO, always seem to be an opportunity for 10% when below £30, plus current yield is 5%

Soldato
FTSE100 companies have done very well that i hold, GSK,AV,ADM, VOD etc but my crappy AIM ones are still crap. Regret even going for those high risk gambles, the steady FTSE ones have done much better (and pay nice dividends)

cheap finance favours the biggest companies. Microsoft can borrow at 1% for five years I think or similar, literally free money as this is below inflation. Inflation is debatable as ultimately it is the expansion in the montary base, QE is not being reversed so you can take it that the currency value has fallen greatly yet inflation does not yet record this

Aim finance on the other hand, Xcite was relying on 14% I think it was ? In many cases companies are greatly suffering. If you go with any it has to be the smart ones or at least companies with options.
Premier oil, big enough to divert or juggle possibly even benefit from strife I think as its a buyers market. Not sure about FPM but I think they are ok financed as Norway refunds their drilling costs. Anyone without cash is in big trouble, POG just had a big cash call to service bonds but its up since then
Centamin though not really small or aim anymore. Cost to mine is 700/oz and no debt, the risk being the country but then BP is in Egypt so I dont see you can avoid risk anywhere. Its just what is reasonable vs returns.

RIO over extended in the past I think hence come off better here now. Some companies just happen to have hold sold off major assets last summer or similar luck
SL was pushed to limits at times but as a consequence faired well long term, luckily not buying assets at the top (vs RBS which absolutely did this, vs barclays which failed in its bid and gained later via LEH). 130 to 487 now and paying off more as they sell Canada.
No doubt the best risk / return was in big shares I think but then QE, inflation, the whole political slant to economies now is to favour the biggest parts of industry (while growth comes in majority from small companies hence lack lustre GDP imo)

Lower oil should help gold production costs. As a ratio gold has not done so badly, sterling falling, etc

Super Shorts on the FTSE if it has a small correct (2x short).
I used to hold a plain ftse short as a hedge. Leverage is very corrosive, ftse could be level for most of this year but the value would drop to pay or roll over the short contracts.
Just selling is a kind of short. You hold less global asset and effectively go long Sterling. Neptune Japan fund, has a short Yen, long Sterling hold while investing in companies there though Yen is most often stronger then sterling
(tl;dr shorting is way more convoluted I think:confused:)

http://www.morningstar.co.uk/uk/news/135831/lloyds-sells-50-of-tsb-to-spanish-bank.aspx
Speaking of big shares, anyone own TSB shares ? Cant say I had the foresight to see it like a building society selloff which somehow its turned out like

In fact, BP's poor performance over the last five years has made it an extraordinary bargain in the energy sector. I wrote about the company's excellent value proposition in a recent article titled "BP - Buying This 6% Yielder Is Really A No-Brainer," which summarizes why investing in BP is actually a high-reward/low-risk bet for long-term investors.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/302...379a68a91d90e31d8e27e004f93bddd&uprof=45&dr=1

Last edited:
Associate
Wow, this will be my first post in 6 years, so please be kind:o:o

OK, has anybody been looking at the graphene market? I have found 3 companies, one of these being:
http://www.hl.co.uk/shares/shares-search-results/a/applied-graphene-material-plc-ordinary-2p

The share price has plummeted and people are offloading their shares like the sinking Titanic! The company is still in the product development phase, but this market is potentially massive! Why the drastic drop?

Soldato
Wow, this will be my first post in 6 years, so please be kind:o:o

OK, has anybody been looking at the graphene market? I have found 3 companies, one of these being:
http://www.hl.co.uk/shares/shares-search-results/a/applied-graphene-material-plc-ordinary-2p

The share price has plummeted and people are offloading their shares like the sinking Titanic! The company is still in the product development phase, but this market is potentially massive! Why the drastic drop?

Loss upto 31/07/2014 of 2.71m. No income. Assets of 8.91, which I assume is share capital/loans.

So look like they could go bankrupt in 3 years unless they drastically improve turnover or dilute their valuation with more share issues?

Looks like it was all aboard the hype train and it's failing.

Valued at £25M, probably take a punt at a third of that value, so 55p a share.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I regret all my aim shares
Even if they do well its either insider knowledge or gambling.

Anyone catch GATE?

Made some people extremely rich!
10p to 175p In about a week.

I'm definitely sticking to known quantities

PFC 980 bought @ 670
BT 468 bought @ 435

Only aim share I hold is SXX
It is a gamble but gamble based on a proper decision that I have been watching for for a while

Associate
I regret all my aim shares
Even if they do well its either insider knowledge or gambling.

Anyone catch GATE?

Made some people extremely rich!
10p to 175p In about a week.

I'm definitely sticking to known quantities

PFC 980 bought @ 670
BT 468 bought @ 435

Only aim share I hold is SXX
It is a gamble but gamble based on a proper decision that I have been watching for for a while

What percentage of your portfolio is on AIM?

Associate
Is there any advice for someone looking to start investing - small ammounts, not looing for get rich quick but sensiable, small investments over a few months to build up some funds in the long tem?

Soldato
I wish so much that I never bought LMI.L, I am around 50% down and there seems to be no light at the end of the tunnel.

FOGL has been doing quite well of late, I only have a small amount with them but if they find the black gold I will be very very happy.

Caporegime
Is there any advice for someone looking to start investing - small ammounts, not looing for get rich quick but sensiable, small investments over a few months to build up some funds in the long tem?

Stable companies when the share price suffers from bad news. And don't panic sell if they go down after buying.
And ones that pay nice dividend

I'll use my PETROFAC as an example

Stable company with 2Bn capital
Oil company but crucially operate in Kuwait etc on engineering and infrastructure

With oil crisis (a finite resource) share price was hit in a Over the top way
1200 down to 600 at one point

I bought in at 670p and now at 1000p

Not only is that a 50pc increase
The dividend yield was 6.6pc per year

Did same with BP with the disaster 370 to 480
Same with barclays when they had their scandal
Royal mail ipo was 370 to 500 in a few days

Big fairly secure companies that were still very profitable despite price crash

Back
Top Bottom