Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Soldato
Good thing about iii would be you can use the free 20 on 1.50 buys, its done on a day at an unknown time. That is pretty cheap to be fair depends how you want to deal

MTV holder here? mentioned - http://www.iii.co.uk/articles/242698/aims-most-notorious-money-pits

never even looked at a stock market
Read on unit trusts. You dont need CFD, its a tax deal for frequent traders pretty much
If you buy UT in a sipp they'll refund your income tax paid towards it, so even better. I'd be happy to hear any favourites on that, I'll mention one not as tip but its definitely interesting neptune japan

Last edited:
Soldato
Sirius doing really well recently, hopefully higher is my guess. Need to mull it over but I always thought it would be too stupid to deny this project, which may increase uk trade by 4% apparently.
sell 30 buy 10, dont think I can hold it regardless but it looks strong enough now. We'll have another election before any actual production but lots of money in speculation, costs, invest

wNz4LvU.jpg

Caporegime
9, 10, 12 and 21 could apply to a few of the posts in this thread

15 probably doesn't always apply these days and has been contradicted a few times, to that end 1 isn't quite so true - exchanges moving to servers and trading being automated has changed things in some respects - though in other ways the overall nature of the game is still the same

have posted it before but it is well worth getting this book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Reminiscences-Stock-Operator-Tudor-Jones/dp/0470481595

a thinly disguised fictionalized biography of Livermore

Associate
Sirius doing really well recently, hopefully higher is my guess. Need to mull it over but I always thought it would be too stupid to deny this project, which may increase uk trade by 4% apparently.
sell 30 buy 10, dont think I can hold it regardless but it looks strong enough now. We'll have another election before any actual production but lots of money in speculation, costs, invest

wNz4LvU.jpg

I work just down the road from Whitby, a few guys here have put a few thousand each into it. They're feeling really confident.

Soldato
Yea stocks are related to money expansion. If they keep rates low and all that I see us carrying on. Theres worse things to be in, bonds are fixed and recently lost money (ie. yields rose) stocks generally adjust so long as the company stays true, just right now prices are higher to buy in

CF2bBhXWEAEQz02.png
A very tired bull: "My base case scenario is...a rough downside SPX target of 1750"
http://buff.ly/1FxBY3I

The central rising line is top 500 USA stocks, we're at 2100 index and this guy predicts 1700 fallback. [666 was the famous bottom in MARch 2009] Top line RSI shows lack of follow through, we are higher but not with a proper breakthrough or momentum.

bottom line VIX is an average of futures prices - like insurance, when risk or doubts are high this is a high price. So now confidence is high (vix is low) like your friends exuberance, some point this as a reason for upset

1 isn't quite so true - exchanges moving to servers and trading being automated has changed things in some respects - though in other ways the overall nature of the game is still the same
I count 1 as the most true but technology has made things faster. Hubris and lack of belief humans repeat mistakes is why we repeat them I guess.
The Federal reserve began 1913 and some say money expansion preceded 1929 crash and large government measures and spending, interference were the causes of the problems after (crashes themselves are normal but also should be much briefer then years). Others disagree including the FED themselves of course.
RIP John Nash btw

Last edited:
Caporegime
Point was humans make different mistakes these days thanks to technology and it isn't just humans trading... a drop driven by fear a rise in prices in a bubble... sure history repeats itself thus my comment that the overall nature of the game is the same. A software error causing a sell or a 'fat finger' error by a trader - those didn't have an equivalent 100 years ago and aren't things that he'd have necessarily been able to anticipate either.

Soldato
What are peoples thoughts on Sirius? I know there's been a lot of hype lately and I'm wondering if I've missed the boat. May take a small punt on it ahead of the next planning update, but it could just as easily crash back to the 6-12p range.

Soldato
Need to move my ISA from iii and looking at AXA Self Investor (0.35% p.a) or X-O (£6 per trade). Anyone have any recommendations?

Thinking at the minute my current portfolio (£~10k) would be best with AXA as this generates a lower fee if I trade 12 times a year (sell one holding, buy a different holding and then invest new money into a 2nd holding).

I hope to invest £1,500 every quarter with the whole amount going into one new holding to continue to diversify my portfolio from my current six holdings.

Soldato
If AXA was cheaper dealing I'd go that as your portfolio wont be taxed much by 0.35%

Sirus more risky then thought ? I probably should have sold recently by my own gameplan even but I think its fairly good to go ahead
https://www.fool.co.uk/investing/2015/06/02/why-id-buy-afc-energy-plc-but-sell-sirius-minerals-plc/

could just as easily crash back to the 6-12p range.
Finance vs share value is always a worry though on these unprofitable ventures or setup costs that drag on but the resource is there anyhow

omCjnqE.png

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
Not often I get lucky but set a sell order for Royal Mail early hours today after reading a comment on long term apprehension. Which i do agree with but I also think a reasonable hold (in line with ftse, etc) overall this year or so

http://www.proactiveinvestors.co.uk...Direct)&utm_medium=SocialLink+-+News+Articles
http://citywire.co.uk/money/governm...ry&utm_campaign=BulkEmail_Money_Daily_Summary

Gov will sell its remaining stake so its lost all its gains. Gov is also dumping off Lloyds but for some reason this has only helped it, I guess less interference ?
I knew Lloyds was good at 20p when the CEO fell ill, I just didnt know I was right :p bought too small, here I sold RMG but not enough, the tail should not wag the dog it'll probably be fine
Bradford bingley had a CEO who fell badly ill and it did not quadruple after :o
LLOY RMG may be public tendered hopefully

RBS on the other hand... not likely to be sold

I bought Randgold which did then gain however its a long long game and today it fell bad. I guess it should be positive as FED does not raise rates this year; especially not significantly or probably even next year.
Its like chasing a rainbow, every forecast says soon we'll see the end of 'special policy'

I havent sold Sirius yet, when is the news due. I probably have sold some as even a bull market resets occasionally and its best to balance profit taking to buy into any shock/upset at some point.
What gave you the clue to buy this year, I was not encouraged especially

Last edited:
Caporegime
[Paul Tudor Jones Image]

points 1 and 3 under the Dos seem contradictory :confused: How can one be a trend follower and a contrarian...

point 8 under the Don'ts is well worth considering, certainly see a lot of people falling foul of that on online forums

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom