Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Soldato
Know when you are lucky in life, 2 weeks for 50% is roulette wheel stuff barring insider dealing which is illegal but anyhow, sounds like you want to be in investment trusts which are more balanced and detailed in their risks and rewards.

I usually browse funds on HL or morningstar, you dont have to buy at those places but it gives details on underlying investments and management track record. Just single stocks is a gamble really

Miner meltdown: If you had invested £100 in each of the 7 FTSE-100 listed miners in June 2011, ie £700, you would have £280 left today...
if the biggest firms can do this, the smaller ones evaporate altogether. Overal the FT100 or london index of 100 largest firms (not just uk exactly but listed here) has risen since 2011, so its less risky to be in a trust vs specific sectors even.

Last edited:
Associate
Not every deal will be so easy ;)
Depending on your tax status I'd still open an ISA so gains are tax free. Have a look at what your current bank offers, if not try looking at the usual suspects. Fees change all the time so I can't recommend a broker to you, a site like moneysavingexpert for deals.

Associate
Thanks a lot. I just thought it was worth a play around with some expendable funds at the moment, they are just sitting collecting very little interest.

When you look and see some of the items occurring everyday its amazing, just todays Sainsburys offer to the Homegroup (Argos), has provided a 30point jump..... why didnt I look this morning lol.

Caporegime
Make a few short term investments

what do you mean by short term? How frequently? What instruments/asset classes?

Interactive brokers is probably the best all round solution tbh..

but if you were just going to make a few investments and leave it at that then maybe not

Soldato
Read something about binary option trading on the news today. Always fancied a dabble and this sounds fun but is it a recipie for disaster? Is it to good to be true? Anyone had any degree of success with trading in this format?

Thanks.

Caporegime
you're generally going to be ripped off trading them

I presume you're referring to the ones offered by scummy bucketshops rather than exchange traded ones on AMEX or CBOE

Caporegime
If my fairly extensive research can offer you something, let it be this: binary options is the bottom of the bucket finance option. I played with it with real momey amd saw how it works. Even if you make a killing, most of the firms are offshore so you have zero recourse when they don't want to pay out.

Stay away. Seriously, don't. You WILL get burned.

Soldato
Hi all, as per usual i've left my tax return to the last few weeks :)

Are there any ace programs people use to track their profit and loss and how much they are declaring regarding tax?

As usual i'm having an awful time with all the trades, top ups, etc. I promise myself every year that I wont make this mistake again but I'm just good at making a bit of cash on the side but bad at tracking it all (beyond looking it up in my TDwaterhouse account).

Associate
I class this as common sense, really. If someone is going to 'dabble' (I HATE that word) or 'try things out' in the stock markets without putting the hours in behind their money, then they deserve to lose it all to people like me.

I'm not sure why it is. The OP clearly uses the term "trading".

But what if you don't have hours? I invested in low risk stocks for longer periods of time because I don't have a lot of time to be researching stocks, but if I can I would like to make more money. I know Diddums completely condones it, but what about binary options? I won't lie, I am worried I will run into the same problem as chipperhead, but this website: http://www.binaryoptionstrategy.eu/binary-options-brokers-comparison/
provides tons of options for brokers.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
well this slump has killed my funds, but they're in for the longterm, many years to come. so should bounce back. Biotech in particular getting an absolute hammering.

Soldato
But what if you don't have hours? I invested in low risk stocks for longer periods of time because I don't have a lot of time to be researching stocks, but if I can I would like to make more money. Have you ever looked at binary option strategy http://www.binaryoptionstrategy.eu/? I am just worried I will run into the same problem as chipperhead.

If you don't have hours, then make some time or don't bother - you will lose money. With no knowledge binary options will accelerate that process ! Only full time professionals can make money on those - or the very, very rare independent home trader.

Soldato
Most people should play dumb which sounds like an insult but you can get rich playing it as simply as possible. Buy a plain FTSE tracker then if you lucky or smart, sell high buy low or just buy regularly

Options I think of like insurance, its an essential part of the market but most should not expect to make money from it. Human bias inclines you into gambling. You could take high risk unit trusts, I have Neptune Japan which gained 130% in 2008 as the manager is a maverick who shorted the entire market. Most funds wont do that but a couple are high risk. He operates long Sterling and short Yen strategy which currently looks really not good

I used to hold options via ETF on commodities in line with CRB. This was more passive management, it has decay as all options do and an ETF fee but it paid off as commodities rose. The largest part of CRB is oil so right now Im not sure but I think a fund is best

kDRVgvl.jpg
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-01-14/real-price-oil-below-17

ETF list - http://www.etfstrategy.co.uk/lyxor-...-etfs-on-the-london-stock-exchange-lse-12564/

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom