Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Soldato
Selling a stock and the next guy makes a profit is a good idea. If theres no profit left then the trade was risky. The smart bit is moving from one trade to another I guess, capture the rise not aim for a peak or capture bullish sectors where a rising tide raises all boats. Makes people think they are smart when its just being in the right place. This whole thread should be flooded with gold stock trades and its not despite performance figures being ridiculous for some of those stocks and yet justified because the commodity rose quite aggressively in context. A stock play is leveraged, more risk, plain gold coin is like a piggybank in comparison I guess its fair but I compare this to the valid idea of repaying house debt as a security play not growth exactly.

I long since lost the video but profit margin expansion explains why commodity stocks are so extreme I think, its natural gearing. I'm still surprised they came back this strong post pandemic. FRES is the largest silver miner in the world, even has gold in there and its right here on the ftse. Gone 100p to £20 previously and that was reasonable when silver has been $50 from the teens. Silver is industrial, its mined alongside lead etc. its far harder to judge.
Any question on FTSE stock, the answer is the same to hold the FTSE fund. Buy the fund (monthly), read the news on the stock you like vs the chart and maybe at some point play that on top or dont because trading is far more of a pain vs just being in the right place year to year. Currency is weak for the next decade so I dont think the fund is wrong imo.

I do hold sovereigns but I never sold as the spread is a cost and for UK the price is seperate, I do doubt sterling is bullish vs gold but its not impossible. Overall I wish I had stuck to my view world growth is less then stated due to inflation inaccuracies and thats reflected in weak oil demand which should be far higher from 2bn new consumers but its not there. Ironic that woodford was right on oil and yet he is gone, he played everything wrong or maybe he is UK version of Michael Burry in the Big short story.
In a bull market you want the stocks imo not the unleveraged base commodity unless its your mortgage payments then fair enough. Its tons risky, POG has risen a lot and every time I read about them it sounds like civil war. Cheap oil is fabulous for miners I guess, some ones loss is another anothers gain.

Tech - I did mention SOPH a while back I think, it was an IPO and its really not a new company but the owners selling into the market. It fell a bit but ultimately it was a great idea to be involved and bullish because security is increasingly relevant to the main market and this whole distance thing has only backed up tech as valid. Anyhow they are private now, that play is done. We have AVST on our market, I dont think its cheap but if someone takes a look and can decide a lot of tech is never cheap and just keeps getting less cheap so maybe its valid but I'd rather buy in harsh pullbacks.
I had CSCO when it was in the teens and I sold in the twenties because tech is hard to judge and I was leveraged but I should have transferred that to a tech fund would be a great idea, in a hard pullback I think thats relevant. All I have now is an asia fund that includes some tech and I rely on them to be smart about it and it pays 5% which I probably try to put into gold or rebalance.

Tone Vays discusses crypto, I think he is very reasonable and considers all markets. BTC is just driftwood in the larger tide at present. My personal take is neutral to negative, this entire year is just a loop and that view was reasonable post the action a year ago.

I posted vids on last post as the sentiment there, ignoring any details, is so extreme. They manage billions and their perspective is quite reasonable but its not especially acknowledged and we wont discuss it approaching Nov election but everything they say is WMD

Last edited:
Soldato
Theres so much talks of Greggs on here. Are you guys serious or is it Corner sofa, im not a shop, Gucci belt nonsense.
Why on earth would you invest in a bakery over a "real" company.

Am i dissing Greggs too much ? :p

I'm fully serious! GRG world domination!

(Joking aside, 5 figure investment so you could say my money is where my mouth is!)

Soldato
I'm up 9% YTD.

Just split my equity portfolio into 2/3 developed markets and 1/3 emerging (e.g. China, Hong Kong, South Korea, India, Brazil).

China / Hong Kong could be an interesting one going forwards! :eek:

Soldato
TSLA trading at over $1431 in after hours. :eek:
Poor performance since Monday, only up another $100. :).

Hi there

Got my 212 account up and running this morning and bagged some AML shares at 50.4p, but not added anything else yet.

Got a general love for Aston Martin as own one and always loved the cars. :)
Interesting purchase. Was just looking at AML for a possible shorter term trade opportunity. Any sign of good news it could have potential. With results around the corner and the release of the new SUV, maybe some positive news will come out.

Caporegime
Just had a thought. Over in the US they're all hyped about the likes of Tesla, Amazon, Apple, Google etc. UK, yep, it's Greggs, good old sausage rolls & pasties :D.
The good tech companies we seem to have lost abroad, such as ARM technologies.
Can anyone think of any up and coming or exciting tech stocks here?

There's nothing in the UK I see as exciting.

OcUK Staff
Poor performance since Monday, only up another $100. :).

Interesting purchase. Was just looking at AML for a possible shorter term trade opportunity. Any sign of good news it could have potential. With results around the corner and the release of the new SUV, maybe some positive news will come out.

Nope just thought I’d grab some, not put a lot of money in there and more a long term hold.

Made some nice money on boohoo this past week though. :)

Back
Top Bottom