Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Soldato
I don't think it's going to stabilise, I honestly think it's going to go down in history as one of the biggest collapses of market cap ever. It's just a matter of when.

Given enough time, every company will eventually collapse! It's just a matter of how soon.

Soldato
At some point everything will be a bubble, so long as there is loose money. I really favour hedging and balancing rather then shorts, a short means long dollar and dollar is holed below the water line seems like. Options seems smart with its limited risk but its more common to discuss in usa for those that qualify. Cairn about to get some news, the never ending story with Indian bureaucracy ruining a good company seems to be a theme.
Petropavlovsk up 18% or something bonkers again today, read the news of that one then look at how its tripled this year very confusing. I dont think its a sell but I also worry these familiar situations with gold mine chaos goes full nuclear, overall the sector is so worth the risk imo and correctly reflects inflation rather then TSLA I dont think its a buy and hold scenario not till world GDP is assured growth at the least.

Anyway Barons has often been some of the best commentary, say if it dont work or expires I'll repost a cap - https://www.barrons.com/articles/we...rages-on-51595509995?siteid=yhoof2&yptr=yahoo

Would 212 trade MML on ASX for me anyone know

FMF

FMF

Associate
So I've been watching a particular stock and now it has gone ex-dividend has dropped 5%, just wondering whether it is common to invest in a company with a known dividend schedule and history then sell shortly after, seems like an easy way to make money.

Soldato
So I've been watching a particular stock and now it has gone ex-dividend has dropped 5%, just wondering whether it is common to invest in a company with a known dividend schedule and history then sell shortly after, seems like an easy way to make money.

There are a lot of people (and algorithmic traders) chasing it, and prices generally go up right before the relevant dividend assignment date and go down after.

Caporegime

Would be a bit obvious no? There isn't a free lunch here - if you short a stock you pay the dividend if the stock goes ex dividend while you're still shorting it.

Its not like the people lending stock are collectively complete chumps who just forgot that they're otherwise owed a dividend payment.

Associate
The price automatically drops by the dividend amount, if you were planning to sell it would be better to sell the day before as you won't receive the dividend for a month or 2 so the money is tied up?

Soldato
Its a bubble, but that doesn't mean you can't profit off it on the ride up.

Makes me wonder before entry into S&P will the tracker fund managers and analysts try to drive down the price. Giving negative outlooks, poor price targets, shorting etc.. After-all car sales were down, and it only the carbon credits that made up the difference.

According to its weight in the index they'd have to invest a total of $66bn. That represents over 25% of all TSLA shares available for trading. Pretty sure there is going to be some fun and games going on over the next couple of months.

Soldato
Makes me wonder before entry into S&P will the tracker funds try to drive down the price. Giving negative outlooks, poor price targets, shorting etc.. After-all car sales were down, and it only the carbon credits that made up the difference.

According to its weight in the index they'd have to invest a total of $66bn. That represents over 25% of all TSLA shares available for trading. Pretty sure there is going to be some fun and games going on over the next couple of months.

No idea tbh, your guess is as good as mine.

I personally won't touch it, you never know when the top is in. The current charts don't look great either with trying to break the $1800 area. If it came down to the $1100 area, it might be worth a small punt with some throwaway money. that was quite a solid support/resistance area.

Soldato
I think at the moment, the big winners will be the ones who predict the result of the US election.

In the longer term, those who can guess the way Brexit will end up and the market movements as a result.

Shares may be moving, in the short term, to require a more political/social/emotional focused analysis than historical trend analysis.

Caporegime
The price automatically drops by the dividend amount, if you were planning to sell it would be better to sell the day before as you won't receive the dividend for a month or 2 so the money is tied up?

No free lunch still, there is no inherent structural advantage either way re: those aspects whereby you could say it's best to do X or Y. I'm not sure many people would be overly worried about the money from the dividend being tied up for a short amount of time but yes you're correct to highlight that aspect - technically it's the PV of the dividend that ought to be the amount the stock drops by... though this is a very minor distinction given the short time period and in reality there is plenty of noise surrounding these events anyway.

Caporegime
No idea tbh, your guess is as good as mine.

I personally won't touch it, you never know when the top is in. The current charts don't look great either with trying to break the $1800 area. If it came down to the $1100 area, it might be worth a small punt with some throwaway money. that was quite a solid support/resistance area.

Feels like bitcoin.
Complete gamble at this price point

Caporegime
The sad thing is that there will be folks out there spouting about their success to others, about how amazing Tesla has done, likely to have all their wedge sitting in it pretending to be stock market ballers. When it collapses, it's going to get very ugly, very quick. Not a single indicator is saying that this is a stable and justified market cap.

Back
Top Bottom