Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Associate
I cant believe Apple and Google have removed hundreds of thousands of reviews though due to policy violations... what violations, the reviews were accurate, the platforms blocked trades, regardless of the reasoning, it still happened.

Agreed, the reviews are 100% legitimate.

Soldato
T212 is just a broker though, do they still not have to go through someone else, if that someone else blocks the sale or limits it in some way what can 212 do about that?

That shouldn't be mine or your problem. The same way subcontracting works or when you have an item delivered. If an online retailer were to not deliver a parcel, who do you think I'm phoning? :D

If they blocked it entirely, I would agree OK - volumes too crazy. However, they blocked only buys - that's the odd thing about it.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Will be be very interesting next week, quite the story so far.

In other not-so interesting news, for the long term now my portfolio is spread across solar energy, wind energy, battery manufacturers, electric vehicles annnnd... American sports gambling :p they all look like sectors that shall clearly grow and I like to hope that these kind of companies won't suffer too bad should this almost inevitable market crash and depression come.
they are also extremely over hyped industries and in the result of a stock market correction you could get rekt

check the p/e ratios etc for the companies your invested in, don't go off the numbers on trading212 or wherever they don't seem to update like they said BP was p/e of 6 when I last looked but it's actually something like 20

there's a bunch of companies sitting at like 40-50+ P/E which is kinda insane, tesla is at 1380.45

You can find companies that should see growth from these industries but they have low P/E ratios

heres an example of screed up some things are

intel PE 12
AMD PE 80

intel revenue per quarter around 20billion with net income around 5billion.
AMD revenue barely around 2b apart from there q3 was 2.8bil
guess what AMD net income is only a few hundred million

industry average for semiconductors is 26

BUY AMD clearly they are going to destroy intel in the future based on the hype :p

in a market correction or crash surely you would expect intel shares to not lose as much value since the P/E is low anyway where as you would likely see AMD plummet to hell

Last edited:
Associate
Setting the stonks conversation aside for a minute, what are all of your views on buying individual stocks vs just going with a few ETFs?

Basically I’m wanting to build up my long-term savings and currently I’m doing that via an investment ISA in T212. I’ve got a portfolio of shares in around 40 different companies, largely US-based. While I know that I’ll get more from dividends and avoid ETF fees, I’m starting to wonder whether I just sell my individual investments and just invest in ETFs instead, like the Vanguard S&P 500, maybe iShares clean energy, etc. and just remove the stress of managing the portfolio myself, potentially lowering my exposure/risk. I’m in this for the long term so just wondering what everyone’s thoughts on the best strategy is to make long term savings bring solid returns.

Caporegime
I like ETF but beware many are just as over bought and over hyped as a single stock.
you want to invest in INRG right.
most of us bailed on that around this black circle
uHEbdfS.jpg
looks like it probably still didn't bottom out yet, so personally I would wait on that one.

you should check what companies have the heaviest weight in their portfolio and how over bought they are too

btw with ETF I think the majority consensus is ACCumulating is better than DISTtribution
reinvesting dividends vs paying them out
mostly probably for tax purposes though.
capital gains allowance 12,300 vs dividend allowance of 2000

you don't realise gains until you sell, with dividends obviously they are always realised when you receive them although I doubt many on here hit 2k in dividends a year anyway

BTW you need to realise a lot of ETF are not managed funds so someone just rebalances the portfolio every few months. don't assume someone is watching them like a hawk on your behalf

yes it's seen as safer but you still need to use your own eyes

Last edited:
Soldato
Setting the stonks conversation aside for a minute, what are all of your views on buying individual stocks vs just going with a few ETFs?

Basically I’m wanting to build up my long-term savings and currently I’m doing that via an investment ISA in T212. I’ve got a portfolio of shares in around 40 different companies, largely US-based. While I know that I’ll get more from dividends and avoid ETF fees, I’m starting to wonder whether I just sell my individual investments and just invest in ETFs instead, like the Vanguard S&P 500, maybe iShares clean energy, etc. and just remove the stress of managing the portfolio myself, potentially lowering my exposure/risk. I’m in this for the long term so just wondering what everyone’s thoughts on the best strategy is to make long term savings bring solid returns.

EFT/Funds to start with - Best Advice I can give you

KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid.

Build a base of funds/trackers/EFT's then later on start with individual shares if you so wish.

Soldato
they are also extremely over hyped industries and in the result of a stock market correction you could get rekt

check the p/e ratios etc for the companies your invested in, don't go off the numbers on trading212 or wherever they don't seem to update like they said BP was p/e of 6 when I last looked but it's actually something like 20

there's a bunch of companies sitting at like 40-50+ P/E which is kinda insane, tesla is at 1380.45

You can find companies that should see growth from these industries but they have low P/E ratios

intel PE 12
AMD PE 80

BUY AMD clearly they are going to destroy intel in the future based on the hype :p

in a market correction or crash surely you would expect intel shares to not lose as much value since the P/E is low anyway where as you would likely see AMD plummet to hell
I'm spreading my portfolio pretty wide but how can you say solar and wind energy is overhyped? Clearly that's the way energy production is heading, it already has for the UK by quite some proportion of the whole national grid now. EVs are set to dominate this decade and the US are looking to legalise gambling in many more states. It all looks like growing industries to me.

Soldato

Michael Burry doesn't like ETF's and that's enough for me to stay away from them and do my own DD on stocks I like, although I'm waiting for "the" crash before investing any money apart from the beer money I've gambled into GME but it gives me time to do my DD and pick out a bunch of companies I think will do well post crash, a lot of them will be tech like EV and solar etc but what's the point in paying top dollar for them now when they're overpriced if you're expecting them to be cheaper at a later date ?

Man of Honour
Stuff like solar energy, other than 1-2 big ones, tends to peak early on the hype during the funding round then fall off quite a bit followed by a slow dwindle to a fraction of the peak value before de-listing.

Soldato

For long-term portfolio I'd go with a more reputable firm that T212. Vanguard, or Hargreaves Lansdown. Vanguard funds are the simplest and track the market with the least effort, with the lowest fees if you go to Vanguard directly.

T212 is more for playing around in than long-term use. Possibly mid-term with their "pie" feature. Read a book called the easy way to make wealth; probably a PDF of it kicking around somewhere.

Associate

intel PE 12
AMD PE 80

Well Intel is already way down as a result of their failings as a company so a correction wouldn’t hit them that hard, whereas yes, AMD might take a big hit.

I still wouldn’t touch Intel until they’re able to prove that they’re moving in the right direction, whereas AMD are more likely to succeed given their current performance.

Caporegime
Well Intel is already way down as a result of their failings as a company so a correction wouldn’t hit them that hard, whereas yes, AMD might take a big hit.

I still wouldn’t touch Intel until they’re able to prove that they’re moving in the right direction, whereas AMD are more likely to succeed given their current performance.

intel was just the first really big name example I could find of a stock that's not exactly massively overvalued and would likely recover from a correction in a reasonable timeframe.

personally don't see AMD beating intel in my life time, in the CPU market the crown often switches between the 2 every couple of years.

Intel has been in worse positions in the past and still came back as king

Associate
intel was just the first really big name example I could find of a stock that's not exactly massively overvalued and would likely recover from a correction in a reasonable timeframe.

personally don't see AMD beating intel in my life time, in the CPU market the crown often switches between the 2 every couple of years.

Intel has been in worse positions in the past and still came back as king

I think they dug a much bigger hole for themselves this time, but from an investment perspective they probably would drop less and there is room to grow; I just think that it’s 2 years away at least. AMD are definitely at their peak so there is more room to drop.

The CPU space itself is becoming a lot more interesting. AMD are killing it on the server side but with Apple pushing ARM I think we’ll start seeing a gap that’s worth investing in.

Soldato
Stuff like solar energy, other than 1-2 big ones, tends to peak early on the hype during the funding round then fall off quite a bit followed by a slow dwindle to a fraction of the peak value before de-listing.
Indeed. Sticking to the big names is most sensible. That also applies to the battery manufacturers I've invested in. However, more emerging industries like EV and American gambling is a bit more of an open playing field where anyone can make hay.

fez

fez

Caporegime
I wouldn’t touch intel with a barge pole right now. Apple is dropping them entirely soon, AMD is generally killing them in the consumer market and the fact they rested on their laurels and market leading position for so long doesn’t bode well for them.

Back
Top Bottom