1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mcast123, 2 Apr 2009.

1. Diddums

Capodecina

2. mid_gen

Capodecina

The middle classes are making absolute bank out of the markets.

Second, there's a staggering amount of regulation in financial services. I worked in financial regulatory reporting for a while, it's a good gig to get into, there's more and more regulation all the time and there's load of well-paid work putting the systems in place to do it. It's not perfect, but it's a whole lot better than it used to be. A huge amount of electronic scrutiny goes on, and people can and do get punished, when there is any wrong-doing.

Shorting the **** out of a doomed company is no more or less morally right than all these WSB lot YOLOing TSLA call options.....they're just people trading their opinions on a stock to make money.

No moral high ground whatsoever.

3. booyaka

Capodecina

I'll second that - getting worse by the day/week as well.

4. Hades

Caporegime

Agree. Financial IT here and I estimate around 25% to 30% of my job is compliance, audit, external audit and various regulation related work.

5. englishpremier

Sgarrista

You may have read it but it's nothing to do with WSB they aren't interested. Not sure where the media got that story from. Most of the silver posts on there are from new users/bots.

6. fez

Capodecina

I'm sure there are loads of rules and regulations but if the regulations don't lead to sufficient punishment when they are broken then there is little point to them. When there is so little danger to the individuals involved in investment banking there is not enough of a deterrent. In the US post 2008 apparently only a single senior banker ended up in jail and that was a 30 month sentence. Christ, if someone wanted to give me a few millions I would happily go to jail for a year and a half.

Why is gamestop doomed? It was a failing bricks and mortar shop that had an injection of cash and was under new management who are trying to bring it up to date and make it competitive again. Shorting the **** out of a company is a pretty good way to manipulate the value of a company and make sure that your "prediction" comes to pass.

Its school yard politics.

"Why doesn't X have any friends"
    "Oh the cool kids have decided they don't like them"

7. Trig

Mobster

See GME took a nose dive there for about 10 minutes, back on the up now though..

8. Minusorange

Soldato

Except they're not going for Silver, just look at the reddit nobody saying silver apart from warning against buying it because it's a distraction by whoever is currently manipulating it

Pretty crazy, there's a tonne of WSB folk buying billboards to promote GME as well although I'm pretty sure that's bordering on the line between illegal & legal ?

9. Casdawer

Mobster

T212 down again... FML

10. Martynt74

Capodecina

AMC is flying!

11. uncle_rufus

Mobster

Of course it is... why are people even still surprised? lol

12. kakarott

Gangster

T212 up again, well the app is.

13. Trig

Mobster

The app might be, GME isn't, back down to the $250's..

14. kakarott

Gangster

Dipping under $280. Feel like a mug buying at $335 last week.

15. Jono8

Caporegime

going down quick now.

I have no idea whether to buy into this or not :D.

16. MrKnifey

Mobster

Dropped a bit then

17. Apex

Capodecina

every time it gets down i regret not buying. it (so far) has always fairly quickly recovered, even when it hit as low as 130 from 470 just hour before

18. MrKnifey

Mobster

HL Just says pending on my AMC and Gamestop stocks buying now

19. Diddums

Capodecina

It's pretty much what it is. I am seeing a LOT of similarities with the Crypro rush from the early 2010s. The fact that the share price at this point is completely disconnected from the company they're related to doesn't help matters, it may as well be named "LuckShares™" and removed from Gamestop altogether.

There are going to be a lake full of tears from this whole saga, mark my words.

20. cu3ed

Capodecina

Same...frustrating isnt the word as I woudl take more AMC right now.
    Actually stuck on "Submitted for dealing". Wonder if its jsut a huge influx of new poeple.