Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Soldato
The latest Deliveroo headline is: "Deliveroo shares fall as it gives cautious guidance in first update since IPO flop" That's despite orders more than doubling during lockdown.

A company that is flushing hundreds of millions of pounds down the toilet every year in losses despite being in a dominant market position in a once in a lifetime global event that means the entire dine-out hospitality sector is shut down.

They probably don't have a viable business. That's why I've stayed well away from it.

Soldato
A company that is flushing hundreds of millions of pounds down the toilet every year in losses despite being in a dominant market position in a once in a lifetime global event that means the entire dine-out hospitality sector is shut down.

They probably don't have a viable business. That's why I've stayed well away from it.

A tech company posting a profit just means they got their numbers wrong and didn't get chance to spend all their dosh on marketing and investment before year end...

Soldato
A tech company posting a profit just means they got their numbers wrong and didn't get chance to spend all their dosh on marketing and investment before year end...

This isn't social media where they can eat losses while building an audience to then monetise down the road.

If they can't turn a profit now, what chance in hell do they have to turn one once restaurants are open? Plus their track record of failing to compete with takeaway.com. Wouldn't touch em with a bargepole.

Soldato

Deliveroo isn't a tech company. Microsoft is a tech company, Deliveroo maybe tech enabled but that's about it. It is just a delivery company. Especially now the workers are likely to have employee rights.

Caporegime
how is deliveroo a tech company? they have an app so theyre a tech company?

tech companies should be making technology surely.

deliveroo is a glorified taxi business relying on slave labour, go look at all the guys in the city centres doing deliveroo, mostly immigrants and people who barely speak english.

every business has some form of technology doesn't make them a growth technology company

If they can't turn a profit now, what chance in hell do they have to turn one once restaurants are open? Plus their track record of failing to compete with takeaway.com. Wouldn't touch em with a bargepole

I disagree.

They need to get more customers, to get more restaurants, to get more drivers.

At the moment uber eats for instance I almost only ever order from them with at least 25 percent off, if not 50 percent off. They make a loss, but they encourage people to use this way of ordering food that it becomes common.

They are expanding and need to use every penny and more to expand.

Is amazon a tech company? I assume not. How many years did it take for them to make a profit?

Soldato
I disagree.

They need to get more customers, to get more restaurants, to get more drivers.

At the moment uber eats for instance I almost only ever order from them with at least 25 percent off, if not 50 percent off. They make a loss, but they encourage people to use this way of ordering food that it becomes common.

They are expanding and need to use every penny and more to expand.

Is amazon a tech company? I assume not. How many years did it take for them to make a profit?

Do you hold Deliveroo stock?

Expanding won't fix their negative margins. They are burning piles of money in a period of the most advantageous market conditions that will ever exist. The only way is down from here.

Where's the growth potential? They've got the Amazon looming over every other delivery market, no way to compete outside food delivery. The only upside for them is the possibility of Amazon buying them outright next time they need to make profits disappear.

Soldato
I personally think just eat / uber eats / deliveroo are playing the long con. They make you think they are a delivery service but really their aim is to make you associate fast food with their platforms so you only ever go to their website when you need fast food. Then slowly but surely they start opening up their own fast food restraunts and the offers will now only work on their offerings giving them an advantage and pushing out the competition. Then BAM 10 years later all of the food choices on the platforms will be owned by platforms and little bobs kebabs goes bye bye, because for the last decade everyone has been conditioned to order their fast food from those platforms and the platforms own brands are now household names like Mcdonalds and KFC.

If you would like to see the effects of a fast food monopoly in the future you can watch the documentary Demolition Man.

Last edited:
I personally think just eat / uber eats / deliveroo are playing the long con. They make you think they are a delivery service but really their aim is to make you associate fast food with their platforms so you only ever go to their website when you need fast food. Then slowly but surely they start opening up their own fast food restraunts and the offers will now only work on their offerings giving them an advantage and pushing out the competition. Then BAM 10 years later all of the food choices on the platforms will be owned by platforms and little bobs kebabs goes bye bye, because for the last decade everyone has been conditioned to order their fast food from those platforms and the platforms own brands are now household names like Mcdonalds and KFC.

If you would like to see the effects of a fast food monopoly in the future you can watch the documentary Demolition Man.
Agree on this.

2 things I've noticed happening. Pizza hut, papa John's are listed on these apps. Why? They have this all sorted themselves, but they know people when hungry, now are starting to just load up these apps and looks what's available.

And also, many people are opening a food place that sells entirely just on this app. I've (unfortunately) ordered from places that are run from someone's kitchen in their flat. You don't realise it until you go looking for restaurant address.

This means these food places will he entirely dependent on uber/deliveroo and have to abide by their terms as they get better and better for uber/deliveroo until it becomes impossible to do business.

Then as you say, you'll have deliveroo with the ability to open food places themselves, instantly making a national brand fast food place that operates super cheap as they can run it from a shipping container and no one would know as they won't need a shop front.

It seems silly to me suggest as the company sees a huge uptake during this pandemic, that they wouldn't push any extra income right back into expansion.

Caporegime
Agree on this.

2 things I've noticed happening. Pizza hut, papa John's are listed on these apps. Why? They have this all sorted themselves, but they know people when hungry, now are starting to just load up these apps and looks what's available.

And also, many people are opening a food place that sells entirely just on this app. I've (unfortunately) ordered from places that are run from someone's kitchen in their flat. You don't realise it until you go looking for restaurant address.

This means these food places will he entirely dependent on uber/deliveroo and have to abide by their terms as they get better and better for uber/deliveroo until it becomes impossible to do business.

Then as you say, you'll have deliveroo with the ability to open food places themselves, instantly making a national brand fast food place that operates super cheap as they can run it from a shipping container and no one would know as they won't need a shop front.

It seems silly to me suggest as the company sees a huge uptake during this pandemic, that they wouldn't push any extra income right back into expansion.

It's dodgy to sell food to the public made from your kitchen flat.

You should report them. They won't have passed any of the health and safety and won't be complying with the industries inspectors that check premises.

I know someone who did catering for events from their garage for instance. Once someone reported them he had to knock down the garage and build it from scratch and further away from his home to comply.

Soldato
Agree on this.

Exactly, but instead of dodgy Dave cooking up a curry in his garage it will be huge Industrial kitchens in strategically located industrial estates or commercial properties in town centres with low rents instead of prime High Street locations with high foot traffic as it won't be needed. This will allow them to at first use higher quality ingredients than the competition due to the lower overheads and they will be buying in huge bulk. I think they will keep the illusion of competition with choices like : London burger, London pizza, London chinese etc all looking like they are separate places to order but in reality they will all be based in the same facility, cutting down costs on rent, staff and sharing ingredients.

Caporegime
No, it's not. All that is required is to be registered as a food business with your local authority and then to undergo a hygiene inspection.

https://www.food.gov.uk/business-guidance/starting-a-food-business-from-home

When you sell food over the internet, the food you sell is subject to UK food law.

I don't see how a flat kitchen can really accommodate proper food hygiene and safety.

How are they storing all the ingredients? Cooked food? Stuff that's been prepared before hand? Stuff that is being marinaded, etc.

It won't be able to safely accommodate food for even 20 people never mind 20 orders.

I'm assuming these places aren't registered properly or been inspected and have no intention of complying.

When you sell food over the internet, the food you sell is subject to UK food law.

I don't see how a flat kitchen can really accommodate proper food hygiene and safety.

How are they storing all the ingredients? Cooked food? Stuff that's been prepared before hand? Stuff that is being marinaded, etc.

It won't be able to safely accommodate food for even 20 people never mind 20 orders.

I'm assuming these places aren't registered properly or been inspected and have no intention of complying.
Was my thoughts too. Which is why I reversed the charge (uber didn't care) and I wouldn't order form them again. Though I have never seen them in the app since that one time.

It was only realised as the app kept saying driver in way to pick up food, then driver no longer working on our order, rinse and repeat so we checked where it was and realised it was a block of flats. Trouble is how would you ever know from the app at first glance. They all look legit and like they are some restaurant.
. This is what uber/deliveroo can really take advantage of.

Burgeroo could easily be pushed on their app, better discounts, free delivery etc until it kills competition.

What they are doing right now is getting everyone to order from them and not direct from restaurants, and pizza hut must realise this else why would they be in the app?

I see a future for deliveroo, just not as quickly and exciting as I feel other companies are so haven't yet invested in them.

Associate

You know what they say about assuming making an ass out of...

Doesn't matter what you think. This is how every food place operates. Hygiene is controlled by local councils. End of.

Caporegime
You know what they say about assuming making an ass out of...

Doesn't matter what you think. This is how every food place operates. Hygiene is controlled by local councils. End of.

Well the poster has said they quickly disappeared so likley were reported and found to be dodgy.

It's pretty obvious that you cannot run a takeaway from a ordinary kitchen in a flat.

Associate
anyone use Binance here, what will happen if i let the confirm button's counter run, does it auto confirm? thanks

nevermind..i figured out. i've tried just 1 dogecoin. when you let it run, a refresh price button will appear.

s2AakKT.png

Back
Top Bottom