Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Soldato
The main thing from the US on the cheapy brokers were they sell any information they have on you and your activity, as does Facebook apparently etc. (wish I had realised this better when FB fell to $20). Knowing what people want to buy is given to trading bots to front run the prices so you pay more in the spread and also a bot will buy the stock a moment beforehand and raise the price slightly before its passed onto you.

Its still useful for small investors, if you are right about the buy. Flat fees are largest to the smallest investors. Vice versa, anyone in size should go nowhere near these

If Segro is a good tip, I'd rate the whole FT250 so long as its also correct Sterling is rising quarterly etc I think it relates to UK prospects which is mostly contained or described by the next 250 stocks after the top 100 which are sometimes companies with no trade at all in the uk.

Soldato
Just a slightly larger spread on the buy/sell side. There's probably a purchase size where it becomes less economical vs spending £10/trade. But i'd imagine that's a fairly high amount.

There's not though on the main shares/markets. Earlier in the thread T212, HL, IG were all compared across a some shares. They pretty much come out even on spread. It's the more obscure stuff has massive spreads.

Caporegime
The main thing from the US on the cheapy brokers were they sell any information they have on you and your activity, as does Facebook apparently etc. (wish I had realised this better when FB fell to $20). Knowing what people want to buy is given to trading bots to front run the prices so you pay more in the spread and also a bot will buy the stock a moment beforehand and raise the price slightly before its passed onto you.

This is rather muddled, they sell their order flow to liquidity providers, the liquidity providers take the other side of your trade, they're not generally interested in "front running" small retail orders!

Soldato
Has anyone used InvestEngine or Wealthify?

I have my spare 20k to either YOLO or put somewhere to YOLO it on my behalf. InvestEngine gives a free £50 on £100 top-up so is a no brainer for a punt (although it says something about keeping the account above £150 else they'll claim the whole lot :rolleyes:) but Wealthify seems to have a much nicer interface.

Any thoughts?

I'm avoiding selecting my own funds as this will likely only be a 2 year strategy.

Soldato
Has anyone used InvestEngine or Wealthify?

I have my spare 20k to either YOLO or put somewhere to YOLO it on my behalf. InvestEngine gives a free £50 on £100 top-up so is a no brainer for a punt (although it says something about keeping the account above £150 else they'll claim the whole lot :rolleyes:) but Wealthify seems to have a much nicer interface.

Any thoughts?

I'm avoiding selecting my own funds as this will likely only be a 2 year strategy.

Another option although not something i've used, would be something like Shepherds Friendly who offer generous cashback through TCB. With your lump sum you'd get ~£350. There are other providers too

https://www.topcashback.co.uk/shepherds-friendly-stocks-and-shares-isa/

I'm not sure what their fees are though as to whether it makes sense in the long term.

It might just be better to stick it in an ISA and throw the whole lot at a decent fund like Scottish Mortgage Trust or ASLI (which i'm a fan of).

Caporegime
Anyone think it's crazy to put a bit into ezj/iag right now? Must be on the cusp of a turn around?

Well, I mean the speculation of a turn around

If I had massive balls I'd go for cine. But their debt is scary. And I'm not sure if cinema will ever be what it was.

Soldato
Anyone think it's crazy to put a bit into ezj/iag right now? Must be on the cusp of a turn around?

IAG is still in full yoyo mode, if you can get it right it has some money to grow :)

For example, its down today (2%), I would argue it should be a green day given the removal of amber-watch list but what do I know :D

Soldato

If I had massive balls I'd go for cine. But their debt is scary. And I'm not sure if cinema will ever be what it was.

Big risks. With the way the Delta variant is spreading through vaccinated populations....we could be on the cusp of a permanent step change in the amount of foreign travel. Not for me.

Likewise Cineworld. Just because a stock has plummeted doesn't make it a good buy. Occam's Razor : it's just a terrible business in a dying industry.

I'm just all in SMT for now....I like their strategy. Performance beats the major indices. Good exposure to private equities like SpaceX that aren't available publicly.

Soldato

I've just chucked a grand at them. As above, bit of a yoyo, so might be a short-term punt or a very long-term punt.

Edit: Results are 11th August

Last edited:
Associate
Hi all this is a massive thread for me to sit down and read, i have come across a website called Futureway trade, I wont link the site i do not know if i can, it is basically a copying website where a trader makes the investments and your account is copied has anyone heard of this as it looks to me as if it's a scam, they claim you can make lots of money, so it must be sorry if this is the wrong place to ask!

It would appear looking at it, you get to follow a trader, for a few days you can't take any money lout of the account for 7 days but on the third day you have to buy the signals which cost £500?

Anyone got any advice on if it's a scam?

Last edited:
Soldato
Another option although not something i've used, would be something like Shepherds Friendly who offer generous cashback through TCB. With your lump sum you'd get ~£350. There are other providers too

https://www.topcashback.co.uk/shepherds-friendly-stocks-and-shares-isa/

I'm not sure what their fees are though as to whether it makes sense in the long term.

It might just be better to stick it in an ISA and throw the whole lot at a decent fund like Scottish Mortgage Trust or ASLI (which i'm a fan of).
Ah a firm based in good old Cheadle! Must be good. I'll take a look at that and SMT, thanks.

Soldato
I've just re-sorted my HL stuff, sold half of my AML shares and then used that to round up my BP, CINE, NG, AFC, changed my monthly from 7 to 5, so putting a bit more into the ones I'm continuing to invest in and just leaving the others rounded to the nearest 100/500/1000 based on what the existing holding was..

Soldato

Have held all three for a while. Only one I'm down on is IAG. No plans to pull any of them.

Caporegime
Hi all this is a massive thread for me to sit down and read, i have come across a website called Futureway trade, I wont link the site i do not know if i can, it is basically a copying website where a trader makes the investments and your account is copied has anyone heard of this as it looks to me as if it's a scam, they claim you can make lots of money, so it must be sorry if this is the wrong place to ask!

It would appear looking at it, you get to follow a trader, for a few days you can't take any money lout of the account for 7 days but on the third day you have to buy the signals which cost £500?

Anyone got any advice on if it's a scam?

Where are they located? Who is the broker you open an account with and where are they located? Who regulates them?

Why even bother if they look like a scam?

As yourself this - if you found you have some genuine ways of making money consistently in the markets that can be exploited by more capital than you have available would you either:*

a) Go speak to people in the industry and get some additional leverage or funding on a first loss basis or negotiate some deal with a fund etc.. (whichever is appropriate) and make serious $$$$?
b) Go to some copy trader site and allow yourself to be followed by a bunch of retail traders in return for the site giving you a few bucks in kickbacks?

On the off chance some person who has found an edge really does exist but is also too stupid to know how to exploit it and/or maybe is in Russia or India or something and more limited ability to do so then maybe copy trading might be useful but surely finding those people and separating them from the noise from the rest is going to be a challenge in itself. How much info does this site you mention give you about these traders you could copy re: their past performance?

Lets take a look at a well-known copy trader site:

https://www.etoro.com/copytrader/

now look at the disclaimer at the bottom:
67% of retail investor accounts lose money when trading CFDs with this provider.

Now lets look at some big retail FX/SB/CFD firms:

https://www.cmcmarkets.com/en/
70% of retail investor accounts lose money when spread betting and/or trading CFDs with this provider.

https://www.ig.com/uk
70% of retail investor accounts lose money when trading spread bets and CFDs with this provider.

Doesn't look like the punters at the site that allows you to copytrade from "top-performing traders" do much better overall than the site that just allows the punters to place their own bets.

Maybe there exist a few traders on that copy trader site or some other site who are genuinely worth following, question is how are you going to find them among the others who might have just gotten lucky for a bit or who are hiding behind unrealised losses etc... and if there are really loads of people you can simply follow and make money from then why do the majority of clients on that site still lose money at a similar rate to most of the other bucket shops out there?

Perhaps if you're keen you could deposit a small amount and check them out, if they're frequent traders then it shouldn't take too long for you to see them either making money or just churning your account.

* the same question applies to any "broker" claiming to offer you an advisory CFD service or similar - why would these top professional traders waste all their day on the phone calling up retail clients trying to get them to invest if they're genuinely making great returns from short term trading? Where did these guys work as a trader before they became phone monkeys at an advisory CFD shop?

Soldato
@dowie Just to add, while there could be scams, the thing people need to know is, if i go and walk around london and find 100 homeless people on drugs, put them in a suit and sit them infront of a computer, and have them pick stocks at random.

Chances are, 10 of them will probably make money, 5 of them will make good money and 1 might make a hell of a lot of money.

Go on etorro, order by results, and you will see people who have made money every month for the last couple of years.

This is just inevitable.

The same applies to professionals, the difference is professionals dont take wild risks so the % are much more conservative vs the benchmark

Soldato
Buy IGG and you are with the house on those nice odds they gain from business done. Generally these companies do good business so long as volatility keeps appearing which I believe will be the case.
I dont see that IGG is expensive, but its finance related and look at all the banks and how cheap they appear because of risk aversion. JPM seem to be really cheap relative to how much money they bring in, they dont appear to falter too much. RBS fair enough I understand though in 1996 I can remember Natwest made 2bn profits every year just normally, similarly now the banks do well very often imo.
Lloyds is just about property imo, so long as they are managing LTV properly is it that risky. I dont see they are correct value even with risk. I wouldnt argue suddenly that changes, they'll keep being cheap

Rolls-Royce returns to profit, but warns over international travel recovery (msn.com)
RR report results would be about 11 pe I think. AAL shows as 8 PE and I reckon it is that cheap not that PE is the sole description

FT100, finance shows as 16.5% and commodities is 11.7% +8% energy. Its not an attractive index but I dont mind holding it

CRSR $26 price of interest, see if it can hold that as a low and progress positively. Its lost its range highs

Associate
Signals are not the best way to invest imo. Mostly you tend to end up loosing money as you start second guessing , missing signals, not being able to stomach when trades dont turn out. I found it easier to make a decision for myself rather than use a signal service/indicator suite etc.

Caporegime
So I decided to top up on ezj
Bought in this round at 828.

Not too worried about some short term pain. But hope can hit a 50 percent profit in not too long a time.

Previously got in at 600. So now significantly in!

Back
Top Bottom