Train Ticket did not get stamped, can I use it again?

Man of Honour
Fox, you seem to know quite a lot about this so I've got a question about advance tickets.

If I book an advance journey with say 1 change and I get on the first train which is delayed meaning I miss my connection, what happens then? Do I have to buy a new ticket then claim the price back or can I just get on the next train with my existing ticket?

Two things:

a) If you buy an Advance ticket from A to B and you get an itiniary showing a change of trains at C then don't worry. If the first train is late, its not your problem and you will be free to catch the next service instead (Though there are conditions - if for example your ticket is, say, London Midland Only you must get the next London Midland service unless there isn't one).

b) If you have two seperate advance tickets, ie you are travelling from A to B and B to C with two tickets, provided you have allowed the minimum connection time between trains, you are still covered - the national rail conditions of carriage state you can use a combination of tickets to form one journey.

Man of Honour
However, if you buy the tickets manually, i.e. two separate journeys they call this a broken ticket, and each journey is separate. In this case, even if they are late and you miss the other train, you lose out on that 2nd ticket.

This is not true. Provided you have allowed the minimum connection time between trains (Usually 5 minutes though larger stations have larger minimum connection times) then you are covered.

The NRCoC state you may use a combination of tickets to form one journey.

Tea Drinker
Don
Many many moons ago Gatwick Express used to sell books of ten tickets, 8/10 journeys they used to get stamped, 2/10 they didn't I'd pocket them and take the missus to London for the day.

Karma = sex

Associate
[TW]Fox;23296368 said:
This is not true. Provided you have allowed the minimum connection time between trains (Usually 5 minutes though larger stations have larger minimum connection times) then you are covered.

The NRCoC state you may use a combination of tickets to form one journey.

I'll have to read up on that then and use it next time, this happened to me twice when I was asked to pay for another ticket. Does it matter that it's through two franchises?

Soldato
It's great in Scotland that we only really have 1 provider. Means you can get any train without worrying if your ticket is invalid, and quality is consistent.

Man of Honour
I'll have to read up on that then and use it next time, this happened to me twice when I was asked to pay for another ticket. Does it matter that it's through two franchises?

Provided your second Advance ticket - which you were told was now invalid - was valid on that operators service, then no, it should matter not. Trouble is the knowledge some staff have of the intracacies of the various ridiculous complex rulebooks is patchy. You need to be prepared for hassle sometimes if you are using multiple tickets. A shame, but there we go.

It's great in Scotland that we only really have 1 provider. Means you can get any train without worrying if your ticket is invalid, and quality is consistent.

Not really true - its quite possible to buy a ticket from, say, Aberdeen to Edinburgh route XC only which is not valid on Scotrail or East Coast services, both of which are also available on that route.

This sort of thing usually only applies to cheap Advance tickets (Though it does get more common on walkup tickets further South, Birmingham to London is a fun one).

The vast majority of tickets purchased day to day are valid on any operators services between your origin and destination station following any routing restrictions on the ticket.

Back
Top Bottom