1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Train ticket

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ac1d1ty, 15 May 2010.

1. ac1d1ty

Wise Guy

So i didnt have any money on me and hence asked to use a cheque, first time ever :D any way even though i did not have a cheque card (?) He printed me a ticket. Problem is that i just realised that i dont actually have any money in that account. I wont be able to transfer any for around 5 days. Am i going to get in trouble?

2. tom_e

Man of Honour

Depends how quickly they deposit the cheque

3. PapaLazaru

Capodecina

You actually carry round a cheque book?

4. Berserker

Man of Honour

They actually accepted a cheque?

That train ticket just cost you rather more than you expected. There's at least one bank charge incoming for you. Enjoy.

5. ac1d1ty

Wise Guy

Eh? How is that?

6. Berserker

Man of Honour

Because that's what banks do. You'll either get charged for a declined transaction, or charged for an unauthorised overdraft. If you used a cheque guarantee card, it'll be the latter. If not, bank's discretion.

Also, if the former, then it's up to the train company to decide what - if anything - to do about it.

7. ac1d1ty

Wise Guy

8. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

Did you know its a criminal offence to pass a cheque for which you do not have funds?

I also find it stange that you went out without any money yet happened to have a chequebook on you..

9. TS7

Mobster

If you deposit money in cash at a branch it's normally instant.

10. K.C. Leblanc

Sgarrista

Right, phone your bank now and ask to extend your overdraft limit, this is probably the best solution if you can't pay funds in.

If you you don't do this either your bank will honour the cheque and you'll end up with an unauthorised overdraft (and a fee) or they'll bounce the cheque (and change you a fee), the train company will receive the cheque in the post (via their own bank) and will be able to pay it in again.

11. muon

Capodecina

Why don't people have an agreed overdraft facility? Even something like a £250 one can save you a lot of money.

12. daelo

Hitman

who carries around a cheque book when you knew you didnt have any money in the account to actually use it, how very odd:confused:

13. K.C. Leblanc

Sgarrista

The thing is most people do, but they don;t think they've run out of money till they've used the OD. (Me included)

14. Strife212

Capodecina

I count my bank as being empty when its at £0 balance, not £0 remaining :p

15. Berserker

Man of Honour

My thoughts too. Very unusual. :confused:

Pretty much the only reason I ever carry a cheque book these days is when I want to use a paying-in slip from the back of the book. Haven't used a cheque in a shop for years, and you're lucky if they even accept them now.

Me too, but a lot of people don't (whether or not out of choice). Interest-free overdraft allowances really don't help in that respect.

That's not to say I've never used an overdraft - very far from it - but I consider them for emergency use only.

Last edited: 15 May 2010