Transgender boy wins girls’ state wrestling title for second time

Caporegime
https://nypost.com/2018/02/25/transgender-boy-wins-girls-state-wrestling-title-for-second-time/

CYPRESS, Texas — For the second year in a row, a transgender wrestler has won the Texas girls’ Class 6A 110-pound division.

Mack Beggs, an 18-year-old senior from Euless Trinity High School near Dallas, entered the tournament in Cypress outside of Houston with an undefeated record. He beat Chelsea Sanchez — who he beat for the title in 2017 — in the final match Saturday.

Video posted online showed a mix of cheers and boos from the crowd following Beggs’ win.

Beggs is in the process of transitioning from female to male and taking a low-dose of testosterone.

It was his steroid therapy treatments while wrestling girls that stirred a fierce debate about competitive fairness and transgender rights last season. It’s been a lot quieter since last year when his march to a state championship was dogged by a last-minute lawsuit that tried to stop him.

Beggs had asked to wrestle in the boys’ division, but the rules for Texas public high schools require athletes to compete under the gender on their birth certificate.

Beggs entered the state tournament with a 32-0 record, beating three female wrestlers on his way to the championship.

It seems a bit odd that this was allowed, if 'he' is taking testosterone and in the middle of transitioning then that's a bit dubious...

I don't think this issue will go away any time soon, I guess perhaps it is more commonly going to be an issue with male to female trans people and with intersex people competing in female events but the case where a female to male person competes in a female event when taking testosterone is pretty dubious too.

I suspect if they'd just allowed him to compete with boys as he's wished to do so in the first place then there wouldn't be much issue. I reckon this illustrates again the need to perhaps have, the 'female' category be the protected one... essentially only 'natural' females and no testosterone etc.. everyone else, who differs in some way, can go in the not-female category that we'll denote 'male' for convenience.

So that would include the various African intersex 800m runners, the MMA trans-female who dominates/throws around actual females and this young wrestler who'd genuinely like to compete as a man anyway!

Soldato
Interesting predicament. Since he'd asked to compete as a man I feel bad for him, I mean why should he give up what he loves and not compete at all because the system is slightly flawed?

Caporegime
OP
Well, since he actually asked to wrestle in the boy's division and was denied, then the organiser and everyone else just have to live with their decision. So in my eyes there is no issue, it's fair game if the people who makes the rules let him to participate.

well it isn't a fair game for rather obvious reasons, I think it might be Texas law getting in the way rather than the organisers tbh.. Obviously the law prevents the opposite from occurring (a male to female competing against women) but they've perhaps not thought about this scenario

Soldato
Well, since he actually asked to wrestle in the boy's division and was denied, then the organiser and everyone else just have to live with their decision. So in my eyes there is no issue, it's fair game if the people who makes the rules let him to participate.

yep, pretty much this, unless they fancy setting up a specific transgender wrestling division where competitors transitioning in either direction can compete together.

Soldato
Testosterone is a performance enhancing drug, so what you had was essentially a steroid user vs a non-steroid user, the steroid user will have had a huge advantage and it makes a mockery of the competition.

Soldato
If you cant win in the men's league. Install some **** and compete against women.

Not exactly fair for the real women who now have to compete against someone with 40% more muscle mass. The whole reason we segregate genders in physical sports in the first place. But I guess P.C > logic.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ridiculous should never have been allowed to compete. Testosterone is a performance enhancer any Olympic athlete or boxer/MMA fighter would get banned for taking it before competing the same rule should have been applied here. He is basically a guy full of testosterone competing against a female. She had no chance regardless of skill given the huge strength differences.
Problems like this are going to be far more common now given the current trend of altering your gender.

Soldato
Ridiculous should never have been allowed to compete. Testosterone is a performance enhancer any Olympic athlete or boxer/MMA fighter would get banned for taking it before competing the same rule should have been applied here. He is basically a guy full of testosterone competing against a female. She had no chance regardless of skill given the huge strength differences.
Problems like this are going to be far more common now given the current trend of altering your gender.

But that's the thing, their not REALLY altering their gender. They are just altering legal documents.

You can't actually change your gender, only your appearance on the surface. The DNA of these people will still say they are a man. Your gender is interwoven in to everything in the body, including the brain.

Last edited:
Soldato
If you cant win in the men's league. Install some **** and compete against women.

Not exactly fair for the real women who now have to compete against someone with 40% more muscle mass. The whole reason we segregate genders in physical sports in the first place. But I guess P.C > logic.
Did you even read the OP?

It’s not a case of a male transitioning into a female, it’s a female transitioning into a male who wanted to compete in the male league and wasn’t allowed… I guess predjudice > reading comprehension.

Soldato
Did you even read the OP?

It’s not a case of a male transitioning into a female, it’s a female transitioning into a male who wanted to compete in the male league and wasn’t allowed… I guess predjudice > reading comprehension.

But it's happened the other way as well. Though this is just as ridiculous, it's basically one opponent who is allowed to get pumped on drugs before a match.

Soldato
But it's happened the other way as well. Though this is just as ridiculous, it's basically one opponent who is allowed to get pumped on drugs before a match.

Sure, but if he’s requested to compete in the men’s league and been denied, it’s not exactly his fault, nor is it as you portrayed in your first post.

Would you have an issue with it if he was allowed to compete in the men’s league?

What if he won that as well?

Don
Sure, but if he’s requested to compete in the men’s league and been denied, it’s not exactly his fault, nor is it as you portrayed in your first post.

Would you have an issue with it if he was allowed to compete in the men’s league?

What if he won that as well?
What ever issues are stopping him competing in the men’s competition aren’t really an excuse to allow what would otherwise have been considered doping in the women’s event.

Soldato
What ever issues are stopping him competing in the men’s competition aren’t really an excuse to allow what would otherwise have been considered doping in the women’s event.
If he was allowed to compete in the men’s competition, would he still be doping?

Are we going to need four leagues for everything now: male / female / male-female trans / female-male trans?

Don
If he was allowed to compete in the men’s competition, would he still be doping?

Are we going to need four leagues for everything now: male / female / male-female trans / female-male trans?
Probably would be, at least in a serious competition. If he was born male, but just his genetics meant he wasn’t upto scratch to be a top athlete it wouldn’t be acceptable to top up on testosterone or take steroids to catch up. I don’t really see this as being any different.

Certainly isn’t acceptable to then disadvantage all the other girls.

It would need to be a bit like the paralympics with their rating system, but then it just gets increasingly rediculous.

Back
Top Bottom