Transport Fever 2

Man of Honour
:p heh, I think though, hovering over the score (thanks for that), a lot of the points is down to profit and amount of people transported according to breakdown when I hover over it. No doubt suspect an additional 160 years game time is influencing that. Though where are the hover trains by that year :p
I miss the Maglevs in TTD :)

Soldato
Been keeping a keen eye on this since announcement, how's the game... Better than TF1?

Play TF1 in hard mode and loved every minute of it, was very difficult to begin with but worth the grind and the struggle.

Soldato
Been keeping a keen eye on this since announcement, how's the game... Better than TF1?

Play TF1 in hard mode and loved every minute of it, was very difficult to begin with but worth the grind and the struggle.

Imo evolution rather then revolution. Most elements fundamentally the same. It has a pretty solid campaign out the box, plus an Asian set along with Europe and USA, also has some additional map zones. Some nice tweaks like being able to create mixed cargo / passenger hubs.

Biggest overhaul is the cargo system. Each city now only needs 1 type of cargo for industry and another for commercial. Makes things slightly easier and streamlined in that respect tbh.

Hard mode is still a challenge at start more so starting in 1950 so that's still there. Tldr, not better per say rather more of the same with some nice refinements and additions.

Soldato
Imo evolution rather then revolution. Most elements fundamentally the same. It has a pretty solid campaign out the box, plus an Asian set along with Europe and USA, also has some additional map zones. Some nice tweaks like being able to create mixed cargo / passenger hubs.

Biggest overhaul is the cargo system. Each city now only needs 1 type of cargo for industry and another for commercial. Makes things slightly easier and streamlined in that respect tbh.

Hard mode is still a challenge at start more so starting in 1950 so that's still there. Tldr, not better per say rather more of the same with some nice refinements and additions.

More of what I was looking for and got that impression from some of the videos on YouTube, will probably get TF2 at some point.

Only difficulty I faced was trying to turn a profit on airlines, could never figure this out.

Soldato
I've been relegated to my laptop now that family have arrived and claimed my office! It's a i7 ivy HQ something, with 8GB of RAM and a Nvidia 650M with a 720p screen.

It actually runs alright (well, 20 to 30fps on low, with graphics maxed out and the CPU hardly doing anything); this is a "very large" map sized but right at the start of the game. My CPU and GPU do run at 90c though! It maxes out the GPU and RAM and the only game that has made me want to upgrade the RAM on this. I've always run out of GPU power before I've hit a RAM ceiling in the past.

Anyway a couple of questions:

What determines how quickly raw materials get loaded onto a platform? I can have a simple Oil to Oil Refinery clain, with the platform connected directly to the oilfield and directly to the oil refinery, and it will only very slowly stockpile on the platform. At other sites, it will fill up on the platform faster than my 120m long trains can deliver it. What determines this speed because as far as I am aware all the "raw materials" produce 400 units (a month/year?)

Secondly, what does the image of the material to be shipped that flies above the platform actually mean? Sometimes I'll have one oil barrel and there is 20 units ready to be transported, and sometimes there'll be 4 barrels for 30 units ready to ship. Sometimes 2 barrels but there are 200 units ready to ship! It doesn't seem to correlate to train size as 1 barrel doesn't seem to nicely fit into one train and two barrels don't fit into two trains etc...

Finally, I know that the demand that can actually access the product at the end of a product chain determines how much is shipped from the factory, but does the location of the stations have any affect on how much is shipped, beyond how lit up the factory is? I just have a theory that a platform around the back of a factory, but connected directly to the factory (and therefore is lit up bright white) will fill up the platform slower than a platform right out front the factory, with all other factors being equal...

Man of Honour
Agree that TF2 is evolution not revolution of TF1. The UI has had some nice changes too.

Almost had a meltdown trying to work out what was going wrong earlier. Was losing so much suddenly and was going through each part of a network containing about a dozen trains and eventually found when upgrading / changing some roads, I removed a road which joined a railway station to its industry, which ground the whole supply chain down. You can see the impact below :eek:

Soldato
I feel a total noob at this, fired this up this afternoon and stuck on the second mission of the campaign!

It is the one where you have to rebuild the coffee/fruit route, and deliver 30 fruits - It was working fine, then I rebuilt it, avoiding the volcano - All I have done is moved the cargo station and track down abit (deleted the old track and cargo station) and its now not delivering the fruits? I have checked the line is active, the train has a route also.

Checked the train and I click on it and it picks up the fruits from the plantation, carries them to the other station, i watch as they unload but nothing has been delivered! Still 0/30...

Soldato
If anyone's interested in playing the same seed and settings, a few people I know are using the following. Starting now until midnight on Christmas Day. Highest company score wins :)

Make sure you have the same settings and the 'iliketrains' in the seed so the map looks the same.

Highest company score was around 23-26 depending on how old my stuff was. Pretty poor showing lol.

Soldato
I've been relegated to my laptop now that family have arrived and claimed my office! It's a i7 ivy HQ something, with 8GB of RAM and a Nvidia 650M with a 720p screen.

It actually runs alright (well, 20 to 30fps on low, with graphics maxed out and the CPU hardly doing anything); this is a "very large" map sized but right at the start of the game. My CPU and GPU do run at 90c though! It maxes out the GPU and RAM and the only game that has made me want to upgrade the RAM on this. I've always run out of GPU power before I've hit a RAM ceiling in the past.

Anyway a couple of questions:

What determines how quickly raw materials get loaded onto a platform? I can have a simple Oil to Oil Refinery clain, with the platform connected directly to the oilfield and directly to the oil refinery, and it will only very slowly stockpile on the platform. At other sites, it will fill up on the platform faster than my 120m long trains can deliver it. What determines this speed because as far as I am aware all the "raw materials" produce 400 units (a month/year?)

Secondly, what does the image of the material to be shipped that flies above the platform actually mean? Sometimes I'll have one oil barrel and there is 20 units ready to be transported, and sometimes there'll be 4 barrels for 30 units ready to ship. Sometimes 2 barrels but there are 200 units ready to ship! It doesn't seem to correlate to train size as 1 barrel doesn't seem to nicely fit into one train and two barrels don't fit into two trains etc...

Finally, I know that the demand that can actually access the product at the end of a product chain determines how much is shipped from the factory, but does the location of the stations have any affect on how much is shipped, beyond how lit up the factory is? I just have a theory that a platform around the back of a factory, but connected directly to the factory (and therefore is lit up bright white) will fill up the platform slower than a platform right out front the factory, with all other factors being equal...

Making sure the entire supply chain is well oiled will mean the raw production site also produces good at a quick rate. So the place the refinery is delivering too and in turn refinery to end users. I believe rate which you can see on the line tab plays a role. Rate is annual throughput per station so longer / heavier trains / more trucks will increase rate. Units are per year (rather then month)

Ahhh it may not be apparent but the icon becomes bigger and smaller. So at 45 oil units may see 4 small oil drums lining up, at 50, it will change to a single slightly larger oil drum and so on. Applies to both passenger and cargo items so you don't have loads of icons sprawling over at a station etc when you have 100's of people / goods ready to go, will just bring it all into slightly bigger icons.

I have not had any issues in respect to the location of the cargo hub in respect to location its serving. As long as its lit up white to show there is access have been fine. I do notice however, move the hub away far enough and the white becomes slightly lighter so will usually shift hub around into ideal spot while the white highlight remains consistently bright and not had any issues.

Soldato
@Radox-0 thanks that explains a lot even if it seems a bit backwards that you need a whole chain set up to maximise the inputs... That's the opposite of what I used to do on TTD, let the factory build up a few goods before setting up thec line to the town so the line isnt running empty for a few months!

My first map (which was a great succes) was definitely on Easy as my current map on medium it was a very slow 75 years from 1850! Just struggling to get the capital to build pretty much anything and hovering around zero money all time as even a basic train with tractor plus 3 wagons clearing me out. The snowball finality picked up momentum in 1925 or so. I'll piobably try another medium game when I am back on my desktop.

wnb

wnb

Soldato
How do you get goods across the map? It was bad enough with Train Fever but the demands from one city to the next is different. I've decided to make one large hub to begin with for finished goods and then take it from there to the Cities.

Soldato
Longer routes / routes that are in a relatively straight line I will do with trains. Aside from that, will be with lorries mostly for goods. Usually I will make underground road routes going into the heart of my cities from outside the city, popping up just inside the commercial and industrial areas with good drop off points. That way lorries do not clog up roads and interfere with traffic / vice versa.

Boats I will use now and then, however with boats, only if there is a receiving factory directly connected to the docks so goods move straight from docks to factory. Otherwise having 400 or so goods land periodically is not ideal as it overflows on the landing side so you lose some items. I have tried planes as well, but for most small / medium sized maps they just seem inefficient. The best planes only carry roughly twice as much as the best lorries, but the latter is much cheaper, quicker turnaround, no need for large airport which have a cost and which don't work everywhere etc.

I personally avoid large hubs of different good's mostly so I do not have too many lines going into a single hub. I will however usually end up with a single large hub for a specific type of good as usually small / medium maps have one / two finished good factories. Even then I will have a finishing factory have a drop off hub, and a separate hub for outgoing goods if the lines are different, so less vehicles going into a single hub with factory receiving and sending out goods fine. But to be honest, plenty of viable options which makes it all the more interesting :)

Caporegime
Watching a German fella play this on Twitch right now and it looks like something I'd really enjoy. But I just can't bring myself to buy it yet as I'm not 100% sure.

Soldato
That's odd as I played it on a 8GB system Over Xmas and it was fine, using 7900Mb, no crashing. I don't use up all 16Gb on my normal system and I have "fairly" comprehensive maps and networks. No mods tho, and I generally close other apps except Spotify.

Associate
I got it at Xmas but have been waiting for some good maps. I might have to import my mega maps from TF1 but that will need messing around using their editors and adding in all the details. I really wanted the Flying Scotsman map as that was fun. If I do I might share it up here so you guys let me what you think before uploading it on Steam Workshop.

Had a France to UK map on TF1 and did the Channel Tunnel under the sea, that was fun. Took me like a year playing it but a game update or a mod update stopped the save from loading it up. That's one thing you gotta watch out for when you have 100 of mods.

P.S. For anyone that hasn't tried this, one major improvement is that you can have 1 Station for both Passengers and Cargo. I am missing the Underground stations though. Hope that Mods makes it back in.

Last edited:
Soldato
With people's increased housebound time is anyone still playing this? I've found it now sitting as a regular pick-up-and-play game that I might spend 30 mins or 2h on if I can't think of anything else to do.

There have been a couple of patches, one has drastically reduced the memory usage so that my old laptop is now quite comfortable playing it now. I've got it set up on a second PC and screen next to where I work at home now which is dangerous!

Associate
I'm having problems on the Glasgow map - the third mission. I'm trying to deliver Fish from Fort William to Glasgow, but not fish will "enter" the station to be transported. The Fort William train station is withing "white" distance of the fish farm - it's right next to it. There is a road connection between the station and the fish farm (and it wouldn't glow white if there wasn't... right?)

At the Glasgow end, it was a passenger station, but I added a cargo platform. I take it the passenger and cargo platform can share the same train track right?

I've added a cargo entrance too, which is connected to the road. I've even built a little truck station and set up a route from the station to the commerical part of town, but still no transporting is happening. I don't have any warnings about route incompatibility either :s

Any ideas?

Edit - I had mapped my cargo truck thing to a passenger drop off. Once I changed this to a cargo drop off, the whole loop of train -> horse truck came to life.

It would be useful if A) The game told you what the station will accept in its current location like TTD and B) why a product isn't moving and how to link chains in the tutorial! >8(

ok sorry to necro but I'm having this exact problem and it's driving me insane. My train station in Glasgow is within connecting distance of both my harbor and the truck station where whiskey is stored to be picked up, but the factory in Ft Williams absolutely will not send fish to the station right next to it. Production is at 100%, but shipment and transport are effectively 0. I had no problem moving fish around by boat but now that I'm trying to complete the mission nothing is working. I've even added a second truck station right behind the train station. The train I'm running has both passenger and cargo cars, and the Glasgow station is configured for both passengers and cargo. It's hurting my brain.

Back
Top Bottom