Travel Money Card advice (NZ and LA)

Associate
Hello all, hope you all had a great Xmas!

I'm looking for some advice on how I should be taking and spending money in LA and New Zealand. I'll probably just use cash in LA.

I'm after one of those pre-paid cards, but one that doesn't rip you off!

Can anyone recommend anything? Who's used these before?

Thanks allot. This is my first bit of travel (6 weeks).

Soldato
Halifax Clarity, 0% on purchases abroad.

No point in pre-paid cards imo. Easier to lose than cash and harder to keep track of how much you've got left.

My experience with pre-paid cards are that they are a complete waste of time. Had one in Canada and it was completely useless in shops, no one accepted it!

Be careful if you do use one of these!

Man of Honour
My experience with pre-paid cards are that they are a complete waste of time. Had one in Canada and it was completely useless in shops, no one accepted it!

Be careful if you do use one of these!

Pre paid cards are fine, if you get a decent one, like visa.

However they do not beat credit cards that have zero fee and full exchange rate.

Soldato
Pre paid cards are fine, if you get a decent one, like visa.

However they do not beat credit cards that have zero fee and full exchange rate.

exactly! Maybe just my experience was a particularly bad one. I'm sure they're good, just happened to be in an unfortunate place? It a VISA from Thomas Cook. I just think people should be aware that they're not a 'complete solution' and may be useful to have a credit card as backup?

Man of Honour
exactly! Maybe just my experience was a particularly bad one. I'm sure they're good, just happened to be in an unfortunate place? It a VISA from Thomas Cook. I just think people should be aware that they're not a 'complete solution' and may be useful to have a credit card as backup?

Is that one without your name printed on it?
I have a MasterCard one with name printed on it and haven't had any issues with it in several countries, it's treated like a normal MasterCard and they would know any different.

I have heard offff issues with ones, with no names on them, the ones you just and over money and get given a card. Use the ones which you set up an account, name is printed on it etc. but if you have time/don't get rejected, get a suitable credit card. I keep forgetting to get a suitable card, until its to late to apply.

Back
Top Bottom