Poll: Traveling by Train - 1st class seat dilema!

What would you do ?

• I sit in it until an inspector asked me to pay extra or move.

Votes: 91 38.9%
  • I wont dare sit in it, I didnt pay for it.

Votes: 122 52.1%
  • The 9:15 pancake has been delayed due to a signal failiure at Lysander Park.

Votes: 21 9.0%

• Total voters
Soldato
I don't understand all this talk about fines. When the inspector comes around you pay the upgrade fee - surely this is cheaper than a fine anyway.

Man of Honour
I don't understand all this talk about fines. When the inspector comes around you pay the upgrade fee - surely this is cheaper than a fine anyway.

There usually isn't an upgrade fee unless the operator does Weekend First and it's a weekend or a bank holiday. Any 'upgrade free' outside of this period in theory should be the cost difference between your ticket and a First Class Open Return. This could be hundreds and hundreds of pounds as First Open tickets are the most expensive tickets on the network by some margin.

daz

daz

Soldato
It's an funny rail situation we have where people like Fox are effectively subsidised by people like the OP, yet the OP is the one that has technically done wrong by sitting in the wrong section.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;19035196 said:
There usually isn't an upgrade fee unless the operator does Weekend First and it's a weekend or a bank holiday.

That must be it then, I only do long trains on weekends. When I was commuting last year there was no first class option, just 2 carriages where I had to pay full price for the pleasure of standing in a narrow corridor next to the toilet for 45 minutes. :o

Soldato
What fox said.

its basically theft to sit in first class and not pay for it.

I would disagree with that statement.

I think buying a ticket entitles you to a seat. Should the inspector not be able to provide you with a seat you should be entitled to a seat in the next available class (free upgrade).

I would always sit in First if there were no available seats in 2nd class and if moved would ask to be shown to a free seat in 2nd class.

Would you agree to that on a plane getting to the steps of the plane to be told you'll need to pay 1st class fare for a seat?

Man of Honour
I think buying a ticket entitles you to a seat.

What you think is irrelevent - unless you have a seat reservation, buying a ticket entitles you to travel, not neccesarily a seat. Thats just how it is - if you don't agree with this, you have two options:

a) Pay more to travel in 1st
b) Find another way of completing your journey.

I would always sit in First if there were no available seats in 2nd class and if moved would ask to be shown to a free seat in 2nd class.

Why not pay First Class prices if you wish to benefit from the advantages of First Class accomodation?

Would you agree to that on a plane getting to the steps of the plane to be told you'll need to pay 1st class fare for a seat?

This is completely different, everyone must have a seat on a plane for safety reasons.

Soldato
I would disagree with that statement.

I think buying a ticket entitles you to a seat. Should the inspector not be able to provide you with a seat you should be entitled to a seat in the next available class (free upgrade).

As Fox says your ticket entitles you to a journey not a seat.Check the back of your ticket.I'd not sit in first class unless I paid for it.But then I work on the railway so the penalties for me wouldn't just be a fine ;)

Soldato
[TW]Fox;19035550 said:
What you think is irrelevent - unless you have a seat reservation, buying a ticket entitles you to travel, not neccesarily a seat. Thats just how it is - if you don't agree with this, you have two options:

a) Pay more to travel in 1st
b) Find another way of completing your journey.

Why not pay First Class prices if you wish to benefit from the advantages of First Class accomodation?

This is completely different, everyone must have a seat on a plane for safety reasons.

The advantages seem to be a seat from what I can read.

I don't travel by train because standing for hours is not a very comfortable way to travel. Also getting a cheap ticket is an achievement in itself.

Man of Honour

No, the advantages are, seat aside (I rarely have trouble finding a seat when i travel Standard but I always book a seat), more spacious accomodation, nicer seats (They are Leather in FGW), complimentry drinks and snacks and the unwritten benefit - it's just quieter and more pleasant. There are no kids screaming and less chance of sitting opposite somebody listening to his ipod at full volume :p

I don't travel by train

So how can you comment on it :confused:

Soldato
If you see an inspector coming towards you and you sit there willing to pay the extra then fine.

However if you're one of those people that sit there, and as soon as they see an inspector go all red and try to walk their way through everyone (thats been standing up watching you sit down)/stand up to make out you wasn't even sitting there - then don't.

Caporegime

I don't travel by train because standing for hours is not a very comfortable way to travel. Also getting a cheap ticket is an achievement in itself.

What is it with all these people that can't get seats on trains? I've travelled on the busiest routes and rarely have to stand up (generally between half 5-half 6 on local commuter trains, no long distance trains). You lot must just be really unlucky.

As for the ticket it entitles you to travel on a certain day. If you haven't reserved a seat on a specific train what makes you think you should be upgraded for free to a first class seat because you can't be bothered to wait for the next train with available standard class trains? It's your fault that you chose a train to travel on that didn't have seats available, not the train companies.

Its basically a massive finger given to anybody who is lower class than richard branson.

I'm pretty certain Richard Branson takes pride in classing himself as working class, so (considering "modern" class systems) that means its a finger up to benefit scroungers...;)

Soldato
I'm actually very surprised that you can do this on FGW trains. I don't trust them not to fine the hell out of anything that moves with the slightest excuse - and that's exactly what I was going to post in this thread! Has anyone actually done this on a FGW route? I'm still not convinced it'd wash with the ticket inspector..

Man of Honour
I'm actually very surprised that you can do this on FGW trains. I don't trust them not to fine the hell out of anything that moves with the slightest excuse - and that's exactly what I was going to post in this thread! Has anyone actually done this on a FGW route? I'm still not convinced it'd wash with the ticket inspector..

Of course it would wash - Weekend First is a well known promotion.

Soldato
I have just paid £9 for an upgrade ticket from Sheffield to london and I would be mad if some freeloader got the same benefits as me for nothing.

If you want to use first class pay for it, if you want to make sure you get a seat then buy an advance ticket, simple.

Back
Top Bottom