Triangle

Caporegime
OP
Clearly, the area of the bottom triangle is 1 unit squared bigger than the top. that's why the hole has appeared

Nope, because...

Neither of the two (complete/large) triangles are actually triangles.

The top triangle hypotenuse bows in slightly, whilst the bottom triangle hypotenuse bows out slightly.

This is because the red and dark green smaller triangles that compose the hypotenuse are both of different gradients (The red is 0.375 and the green is 0.4).

The difference causes the hypotenuse to bow in for on triangle, and out for the other, and the difference in that is equal to 1 square.

This is great to cut out and give to people, because its clearly the same pieces then. The areas are identical.

Soldato
Nope, because...

The difference causes the hypotenuse to bow in for on triangle, and out for the other, and the difference in that is equal to 1 square.

This is great to cut out and give to people, because its clearly the same pieces then.

Of course, if anyone actually examined the red and dark green triangles to check they were the same in both pictures, they would have noticed straight away they weren't equal gradients.

Man of Honour
Neither of the two (complete/large) triangles are actually triangles.

The top triangle hypotenuse bows in slightly, whilst the bottom triangle hypotenuse bows out slightly.

This is because the red and dark green smaller triangles that compose the hypotenuse are both of different gradients (The red is 0.375 and the green is 0.4).

Very clever.

I like these threads, good work Skeeter :)

Caporegime
The easiest way to do this is to use the grid (which gives it away), just look at the ratio of height to length of both triangles, not the same, therefore the gradient isn't either soo... there is "extra" volume at the top of the "triangle",that's where the extra square "appears". (you can check this by looking at the intersection between the red and green triangles and the yellow shape of the first image, now look at the second, the grid intersection is further in the "triangle").

Worked it out in less than a minute :p

You lot need to get Professor Leyton for the DS, full of these sort of puzzles, it's addictive until you complete it. :p

Soldato
Admittedly I'm drunk (yeah I know it's Tuesday/ eh Wednesday now) But here they are superimposed

25spq14.jpg

Am I thick? I can't figure it out.

Nate

Last edited:
Caporegime
The question is wrong, the two shapes at the top are not triangles. If you give false information of course pople will make a mistake.

The question should be posed as thus:
"The two shapes below appear similar to triangles but note that that are not geometric triangles. Explain how the hole appears."

If you did that then no one would make a mistake or get confused. These puzzles do not test any kind of intelligence in the slightest, merely test if you are human.

Soldato
The question is wrong, the two shapes at the top are not triangles. If you give false information of course pople will make a mistake.

The question should be posed as thus:
"The two shapes below appear similar to triangles but note that that are not geometric triangles. Explain how the hole appears."

If you did that then no one would make a mistake or get confused. These puzzles do not test any kind of intelligence in the slightest, merely test if you are human.

How are they not geometric triangles? The first one is, because of the hole the second isn't. But they both occupy the same areas.

I may be slightly drunk again

Somebody give me a link to the solution before my head explodes

Nate

Caporegime
The red and teal triangles should have the same dimensions as each other, and as the whole large triangle. They do not. Their sides are in different ratios. As such, the shapes in question are not triangles. Drawing them with thick black lines masks the subtle bowing in the hypotenuse of the large triangle.

Back
Top Bottom