Trouble connecting to PC on home network with usb wifi adapter..

Associate
Ok, the title is a bit vague, but the onboard ethernet on the motherboard died a few days ago so I bought a cheap Pcie 1x card (RTL8111C) off amazon to use in one of the expansion slots. However, no matter which slot I tried, the PC simply would not recognise any new hardware.

It's a pretty old motherboard (Asus Sabertooth X58) but would imagine that a Pcie ethernet card should work. I made sure to disable the faulty onboard ethernet in the bios as well.

Anyway, I decided to cut my losses and just get a usb wifi adapter. This works flawlessly apart from the fact that I can not get access to the PC over the network.

I have enabled network discovery as well as file sharing and also disabled password protected sharing. I mean, everything I normally do, but browsing the network via Kodi on fire tv it just keeps on giving a "connection timed out" error.

Sadly, I don't have a second PC to troubleshoot a windows to windows connection..

The PC is running Windows 10 64bit with all the latest updates.

Is there anything I am missing?

Associate
OP
Well, I figured it out! It was the latest Windows update that prevented the PC from being found on the network. Rolled back to 1607 and everything is fine now.

Back
Top Bottom