Troubleshooting my PC - CPU Pin snapped or Mobo?

Associate
Hello all,
Basically yesterday morning my pc BSODed, i thought nothing of it and rebooted the pc only to find that i could not get into the BIOS as it hung on the bios screen, left for about an hour an dwas still there, i rebooted it again and this time it just posted nothing, so i reset the cmos and still nothing. now this is where i failed, i reseated the cpu but i accidently dropped the cpu bending a few pins, all bent back except one which snapped off... Now here is my issue. I originally thought it could be the motherboard due to hanging on bios and the fact that it bsodded as the cpu has been stable for a very long time, and has gone under 36 hours on prime 95, however now the cpu pin has snapped off it could be there.

So my thoughts so far are
Motherboard is bust, Cpu is Fine
CPU is bust motherboard is fine
Both are broken now

So what are my options, im tempted to ask my local pc shop if they can test the cpu see if it works without the pin, then test the motherboard as well, perhaps it could be another component, the spec is in my sig.

Thanks!

Associate
Every pin on your CPU has a reason to exist, you cant really snap random pins off and then just "wing it". So, I now officially pronounce you man and broken CPU. Grats.

As for your system failing to post prior to the CPU shenanigans... Well the most likely suspects are motherboard, or PSU. But It needs more detail to diagnose really, is there any display on the screen at all? Are there any audible error codes? Do your fans spin up? etc. On the plus side though Phenom's are pretty cheap...

You can send it back to your local shop if you like, and after they stop laughing they'll probably charge you through the nose just to tell you that you need to purchase a completely new PC. They're in business for a reason ;)

Associate
OP
UPDATE:
Basically i was reading on the internet that when the motherboard has no RAM in it the bleeping thing will bleep three times each with a long bleep, however when i start the pc up i get no bleep what so ever so my guess is the motherboard is kaput?
As to the above i have read in quite a few places that a lot of the pins on CPUs are duplicates or the PC can function without them, so there is a chance it will not be the cpu, as well as this when i push my fingers against the cpu and turn the pc on, the cpu warms up, and ive read that a broken CPU wont warm up?

Back
Top Bottom