Troy total war free

Soldato
An explanation as to why Epic and free (On 13th August 2020) etc -

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/a-total-war-saga-troy-on-epic-games-store/

people on that forum complaining about this and that and they wont get the game because its on the Epic Launcher, for goodness sake you can get it free who cares what platform its on !

typical post on that forum

The problem is the EPIC EXCLUSIVITY, a platform that doesn't support mods, and is missing many essential features. I refuse to get an Epic account just to play troy for free a year in advance. Not to mention the fact that it will be a year without any mods at all.
They should have done free on steam if that's your point.

Not buying a game (or getting it free) just because you cant mod it is crazy. Thats like saying yeah I dont want the game because its not good enough devs so I want to change it with mods !

Who cares if the launcher is "missing many essential features" you dont play the launcher !

also just seen this below its pretty damn low of people just because they do not like Epic. Disgusting.

Finally, we’ve got just one favour to ask – however you feel about this, please keep any criticism to the studio as a whole, and don’t take it out on individual employees that you might find on various social media platforms.). We get it. It’s unexpected. But they’re not going to be able to change anything, and probably weren’t the ones who made the decision regardless.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not buying a game (or getting it free) just because you cant mod it is crazy. Thats like saying yeah I dont want the game because its not good enough devs so I want to change it with mods !

Who cares if the launcher is "missing many essential features" you dont play the launcher !

also just seen this below its pretty damn low of people just because they do not like Epic. Disgusting.

I don't particularly care about the epic exclusivity and as you said its free. The lack of mods is a pretty big deal though for the total war community, I own and have played every TW and have also played them with mods too as they are pretty great so more in terms of future releases would be disappointed if that's lost. However, if they retain it through the launcher and it's simply a bit less integrated than on steam I wouldn't care too much.

Soldato
I don't particularly care about the epic exclusivity and as you said its free. The lack of mods is a pretty big deal though for the total war community, I own and have played every TW and have also played them with mods too as they are pretty great so more in terms of future releases would be disappointed if that's lost. However, if they retain it through the launcher and it's simply a bit less integrated than on steam I wouldn't care too much.

Yeah they are meant to be working on mod support so if it comes out this year a lot of the arguement will disappear although I can still see people complaining.

Man of Honour
Free game, I’ll take that. Stinks of a cash grab though, but I have to admit I really don’t care anymore. I’ll just buy wherever it’s cheapest. Few games I’ll pay full price for either.

Associate
I mean, yes their launcher sucks, and I certainly would miss the steam workshop but not enough to not claim a free game over it.

And it's a bit rich for this to suddenly be an issue now for total war players when creative have already spent two years forcing you to go to total war access to claim certain stuff.

Soldato
It baffles me why people think of steam as some cuddly digital GF/BF that they are cheating on if they use something else. Steam is as **** and draconian as every other digital platform with the added bonus of having utter morons working (I'm talking potato IQ levels) working in its CS department. I use Steam because I have to not because i want to and I'd happily watch is die. I certainly wont let them near my CC details ever again, i either buy top up wallet cards or buy it elsewhere and redeem a key (even if its more expensive). They are also quite happy to hold your entire catalogue hostage when there own accounting department has a complete mathematical breakdown.

So yeah I welcome this free on Epic launcher, its as **** as steam so what?

Caporegime
Yeah they are meant to be working on mod support so if it comes out this year a lot of the arguement will disappear although I can still see people complaining.
they complain because we will end up with a world where steam, origin , ubisoft, epic, and whoever else are going to be fighting each other for exclusives if this keeps on.

it's a crappy business practice, if they thought the epic launcher was any good they wouldn't try to force adoption on people.

how can you defend it like its a good thing and a benefit to gamers.
what do you think would happen if epic suddenly became the dominant publisher.

yea I'm sure they would still be giving people carrots instead of sticks

competition encourages progress, something epic don't seem to like.
oh we have a problem lets throw money at it

Soldato
I find it interesting you can ascertain all that opinion from that one sentence you quote of mine when it says none of what you state. :D

Personally I dont understand why people have a hate for a launcher or a company behind it. It just a piece of software and a business providing a service. No different from arguements like Netflix v Disney+ v Apple TV v Raukten TV v etc etc or Nvidia v AMD for that fact.

Associate
OP
I have no problem with them releasing Troy on epic store, I will definitely claim it for free.

I do worry if warhammer 3 becomes exclusive for Epic store though, how would the Dlc be cross platform with steam from games 1 and 2.

Would we have to wait a year for the combined map and game 1 and 2 factions to be payable in 3?

Back
Top Bottom