Soldato
Man of Honour
Your stop the planet tag is quite appropriate :s

Of late I've realised loonies gonna loony and best I can do is try and isolate myself from the impact of it as much as possible and hope they destroy each other without too much collateral.

Soldato
OP
Your stop the planet tag is quite appropriate :s

Of late I've realised loonies gonna loony and best I can do is try and isolate myself from the impact of it as much as possible and hope they destroy each other without too much collateral.

You might hope. But there are so many innocent victims in these stories. I'm only part way through and my heart bleeds for some of the husbands in the accounts so far! The media and echo chambers in the USA seem to be 24/7 "With us or against us" Identity Politics. It's like some vortex of hate and righteousness, sucking people in.

Soldato
OP
Tbf, I could never be with someone who thought Trump was a good thing.

Aside from whether you should throw away a marriage over a difference of political opinion, so far we have: a woman seeking divorce because their husband staying home and looking after the kids whilst she goes to protest meetings "isn't doing enough to oppose Trump"; another objecting because her husband asked her how much she was spending on poster boards in her anti-Trump campaigns and is "a privileged White male". One who initially dated her husband because she wanted to get revenge on a guy who raped her by "getting someone like my rapist (i.e. White and Conservative) to like me" and after she'd married him then blames him for being both those things. Or the liberal, therapist husband who questions his wife about "how do you feel now?" for having voted for Trump after every negative news story.

Seriously, this is horrifying. I had to check Wikipedia to make sure this wasn't a parody site.

Last edited:
Soldato
The whole thing is a farse, their marriage was obviously built on rocky foundations in the first place. It's just stupidity, foolishness. It's a non story.

Caporegime
I wouldn't get with someone who took politics that seriously in the first place. Politicians are all corrupt, they're all in it for themselves and none of them care about the people they are supposed to serve, so being passionate about any of them is naive and pretty much setting yourself up for disappointment.

There's no party I would vote for at the moment (mostly because of the above) so I wouldn't exactly be able to tell any potential girlfriend... But even that alone is enough to anger some people these days and automatically make them think you're some disgusting Nazi. I preferred the times where people kept their voting intentions private and it was considered quite rude to ask.

Man of Honour
The whole thing is a farse, their marriage was obviously built on rocky foundations in the first place. It's just stupidity, foolishness. It's a non story.

It is an interesting one - I had the beginnings of a relationship with a girl - we generally saw eye to eye so to speak but she was rabidly anti-gun while I'm relatively pro-gun (aslong as proper controls are in effect) and it completely came between us.

Soldato
OP
It is an interesting one - I had the beginnings of a relationship with a girl - we generally saw eye to eye so to speak but she was rabidly anti-gun while I'm relatively pro-gun (aslong as proper controls are in effect) and it completely came between us.

Were you willing to pursue the relationship despite her having a different opinion on it? And was the reverse true?

Soldato
Aside from whether you should throw away a marriage over a difference of political opinion, so far we have: a woman seeking divorce because their husband staying home and looking after the kids whilst she goes to protest meetings "isn't doing enough to oppose Trump"; another objecting because her husband asked her how much she was spending on poster boards in her anti-Trump campaigns and is "a privileged White male". One who initially dated her husband because she wanted to get revenge on a guy who raped her by "getting someone like my rapist (i.e. White and Conservative) to like me" and after she'd married him then blames him for being both those things. Or the liberal, therapist husband who questions his wife about "how do you feel now?" for having voted for Trump after every negative news story.

These women are pathetic, they are the ultimate expression of the Soviet Unions 'useful idiots' - people who've sucked up decades of marxist doctrination and now as a result hate themselves, their people and their country.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Were you willing to pursue the relationship despite her having a different opinion on it? And was the reverse true?

It is a difficult one and I don't really have my head around it. I mean I respect anyone's right to that opinion but I absolutely can't agree with it let alone come around to that perspective on the other hand it was a complete "deal breaker" for her - there was no way she'd accept let alone understand it.

(Like a couple of other relationships looking back I can't see how they'd have worked out in the long run - bit easy to get in over your head in younger years and ignore the obvious signs :s).

Soldato
OP
It is a difficult one and I don't really have my head around it. I mean I respect anyone's right to that opinion but I absolutely can't agree with it let alone come around to that perspective on the other hand it was a complete "deal breaker" for her - there was no way she'd accept let alone understand it.

(Like a couple of other relationships looking back I can't see how they'd worked out in the long run - bit easy to get in over your head in younger years and ignore the obvious signs :s).

I'm sorry to hear that. In part I was checking my cognitive bias as I found myself assuming that it was her that considered it a deal breaker and that you were probably more open to agreeing to disagree. I had that expectation because it's my experience it's more typically the Left-Wing that demand agreement or get out. Wanted to check if I was being biased or not. Either way, sucky situation.

Man of Honour
I'm sorry to hear that. In part I was checking my cognitive bias as I found myself assuming that it was her that considered it a deal breaker and that you were probably more open to agreeing to disagree. I had that expectation because it's my experience it's more typically the Left-Wing that demand agreement or get out. Wanted to check if I was being biased or not. Either way, sucky situation.

Not really on the thread topic but I learnt a lot from those experiences even though in the long run I find myself more detached from people in general but on the other hand value those I have a good relationship with more.

Back
Top Bottom