Trying to add two additional ddr3 modules crashes windows on boot

Associate
Hi all,
I have an Asus P8Z77 V Pro mobo that I purchased as an over clocked bundle from overclockers several years ago.
As much as I'd love new kit I can't afford to upgrade at the moment.
The Ivybridge 3770k is overclocked from the standard 35 ghz to 45 ghz.
When I first had the build, the memory failed, I think it was 1866 speed ram, they gave me patriot black mamba 2133mhz 2 x 8 gig to replace them with, after quite some time I tried setting the ram to its actual speed in the xmp profile and its been running fine for several years.
I'm heavily into flight sims, having used FSX, and p3d V3 and V4 and now I've moved onto a Windows 10 op system to run msfs 2020.
As this sim runs better on 32 gig of ram I managed to source some identical ram sticks, so I now have 4 sticks of 8 gig.
I've tested all the sticks and they all work fine as a 16 gig set. Two in either the two black slots or two in the blue slots, but as soon as I try to run on all 4 windows fails to boot.
I'm not sure what I need to do to get this pc to run the 32gig, any help or advice is much appreciated.
Thanks.

Associate
OP
But running everything at stock speed kind of makes adding the additional ram pointless, I think the sim would perform better at the faster speed with 16 gig of ram than at stock speed with 32 gig of ram.
Or is this just as an initial test to see if it works or not, thanks.

Associate
If the game is actually running out of memory and causing stuttering, then I would take the slower speed and higher capacity any day.

However i would first make sure that even though you have two identical modelled kits, that they actual contain the same memory chips underneath.

I would use Thaiphoon Burner to check to see if both kits come with memory chips made by the same company. I recently bought two identical DDR4 kits, but one of them had IC's manufactured by Hynix and the other was Micron and they just wouldn't play nice together.

Soldato
Or is this just as an initial test to see if it works or not
Always a good idea to put things back to stock settings when you have these sort of problems.

If it then works okay you can try overclocking it again. You might not be able to overclock quite as much with the extra load on the memory controller, but you should be able to get somewhere close. It may just be a matter of tweaking the voltages a bit.

Associate
Yeah if I remember correctly 2133 was on the higher end of memory speeds for that CPU. I wouldn't be surprised if the IMC just can't handle it.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies.
2400 is the highest speed ram it can take, I will check out the thaiphoon burner to see what's under the hood of the ram sticks, and I will try default settings and see what happens, thanks guys.

Associate
OP
Happy to report the additional ram is working, I put the ram speed to auto in the bios, Windows booted, I checked the speed it was running at and it was 1600 mhz, so back into the bios set the ram to 1866 mhz, still running fine.
Might just leave it at that rather than pushing for any higher.

Back
Top Bottom