1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying to remember a book from my childhood

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Takhisis, 14 May 2006.

1. Takhisis

Wise Guy

I've tried searching but due to the lack of specifics that I can remember I have had no success in finding out the name of a book I remember reading as a kid. I think I was about 10 or 11 when I read it (12-13 years ago) but i pretty sure it was one of those "Young adult" books which are normally aimed at 13-15 year old.
    I am hoping that if I describe what I remember, someone might have read the same book and be able to tell me what its called.

It starts with parents leaving their children in the car at the side of the road and walking off and leaving them (can't afford them?) Its a brother (Skip? Kip?) and a sister and I'm pretty sure the sister is older.
    The kids end up making their way to a city where they have to hide from the authority (children police? labour camps? unsure on this point but I know they keep having to hide).
    They meet another street kid who helps them out (think his name is Sky but not sure).
    They end up leaving the city - think something happens to the kid brother so its just the girl and "Sky" heading towards the country - maybe just "Sky"?

I know its not much but its been bugging me for months now - anyone have any idea what I'm going on about? :o

2. Yewen

Capodecina

When were you that age?

3. Takhisis

Wise Guy

12-13 years ago but dates are not definate

Last edited: 14 May 2006
  4. meghatronic

Capodecina

5. Pho

Sgarrista

Can I hijack this thread, too :o. I remember some book about a floating island which, well, just floated around and stuff, that's about all I can remember. I don't think I really even liked it, but it's annoying me I can't remember the name.

6. PinkPig

Mobster

7. Takhisis

Wise Guy

No - as far as I'm aware it was just a one off book - no tv tie ins, no cartoon characters, and they look way too happy - it was a very "grey" kinda book

8. Ice Rich

Wise Guy

Was it noahs island?

9. Gavstar

Wise Guy

that wasn't a book was it?

Olski Polski!

10. robmiller

Capodecina

Oh Sasha you little turd, how I hated you

11. Mint_Sauce

Mobster

Anyone else remember Robin Red Hat and Billy Blue Hat etc? No one else my age (26) seems to have read those books :/

12. Nitefly

Man of Honour

The bigger mystery is why you wern't reading The Very Hungry Catipillar. The page where he got fat owned.

And to this day, it still does.

13. Nitefly

Man of Honour

WOAH WOAH NO WAY!

Those books were awesome, hoorah, SOMEONE ELSE knows them! YAY! :D

Edit - and it was roger red hat ;)

14. red11

Sgarrista

Takhisis, I know the book you are after, I read it when I was 11/12 in first year at Grammar School. I'll hunt the title for you. :)

15. Nix

Capodecina

The Hungry Caterpillar! \o/

:D

16. Street

Sgarrista

Thats the same as me... I read those books in primary school but no one else has heard of them and they think I'm weird. Another good one I read at primary school was the Glurp, about a big grey blob thing that ate animals until it got really fat then spat all the animals out. No one else has heard of the Glurp either:(

17. Nitefly

Man of Honour

A really rubbish book was 'Where all the wild things are' or something. About this boy in a wolf suit that goes to this magic island of monsters.... aweful!

Now bangers and mash, that was quality.

18. Kerplunk

Sgarrista

Whilst we are on the subject of "books from childhood" can anyone remember a book that when bits of the pages hidden,, so when you turned the page it revealed the full picture, I remember it being on a farm? (i think) also vaguely remember it being in a shed? :confused:

Ring any bells?

19. Yewen

Capodecina

I still have a copy of that on the downstairs coffee table, read it from time to time.

Sure beats LOTR. :D

20. Gavstar

Wise Guy

awesome more like!

And when he got back his supper was still warm!

I remember Roger Red Hat etc, as well as various colours of pirates, Tim and the Hidden People and The *name of a boiled sweet I think* Man all from school.