TSB - Interest Rates on Plus Account now at 0%

Soldato
Versus regular saving yeah, but versus investments in a S&S ISA it's a bit closer.
Unfortunately I have very rarely experienced first hand any decent growth in stocks and share, although lots of people say they do. As I am nearing retirement I need secure money now, so can't afford to gamble.

The way the savings and investment area of the economy has been handled recently has just ended up digging deeper and deeper holes. They seem to think it will all come right at some point.

Soldato
Unfortunately I have very rarely experienced first hand any decent growth in stocks and share, although lots of people say they do. As I am nearing retirement I need secure money now, so can't afford to gamble.

The way the savings and investment area of the economy has been handled recently has just ended up digging deeper and deeper holes. They seem to think it will all come right at some point.
Oh I agree - if you can't invest in the long term then it probably won't work out.

Invested in a tracker fund though - over 5+ years you're normally pretty safe. I certainly wouldn't be getting into trading of individual stocks/shares.

Associate
30 years my mum and dad used to put some of their salary into a savings account and the interest used to pay for their summer holiday. some chance of that today. there was talk of a big increase in inflation coming and gov wants to accommodate it to make it easier to pay off the enormous debt theyve taken on.

Soldato
Best thing you can do to middle finger the BOE is to invest your savings in assets. The fact they are even contemplating ZIRP is unbelievable.

It's like treating someone with a drug problem with more hits, more heroin, more heroin again etc. The retreat to normal health becomes increasingly unlikely and eventually there are tears.

Last edited:
Soldato
Is this 0% TSB account a savings account or a current account? If it's the latter than that isn't news, loads of current accounts pay zero interest.

Soldato
I just got an offer from Nationwide fixed interest at 0.5% for 18 months, where you can't touch the money for the 18months otherwise you kill the offer, doesn't sound like a good deal but I guess it's good considering the times we're in

Certainly not an enticing time to be saving money, better to put the money into assets

Back
Top Bottom